Is it appropriate for a white writer to include minority characters?

Is it appropriate for a white writer to include minority characters?
bbc.com/news/uk-39988992
>Horowitz, who has written 10 novels featuring teenage spy Alex Rider, said there was a "chain of thought" in America that it was "inappropriate" for white writers to try to create black characters, something which he described as "dangerous territory".
>He said it was considered "artificial and possibly patronising" to do so because "it is actually not our experience".
>"Therefore I was warned off doing it. Which was, I thought, disturbing and upsetting."
>Horowitz, who has written a new James Bond book, went on: "Taking it to the extreme, all my characters will from now be 62-year-old white Jewish men living in London."

Why would you want to write a book with black characters? That's not very good escapism.

go back there

who gives a fuck

But without minority characters the writer will be accused of being racist.

If youre calling yourself writing about someone from a particular race and culture, its a good idea to research how to at least make it authentic.

>authentic
What is "authentic"? Making a stereotype?

I think you can figure that one out.

I'd just do what Robert Howard did and make my hero rescue rescue girls from niggers

So you don't know, either.

Yes. Being authentic to black people in the United States is to include them eating watermelon, fried chicken and stealing bikes. That's exactly what that other user meant by "authentic".

No black characters, evil racist
Black characters, evil racist
Exist as a white, evil racist

Well otherwise what's so unique about their experience? I guess you couldn't just make a character who does a job and cares about their kids or has some other motivation. They'd need to be a mouthpiece to oppression and slavery. THAT sounds patronizing.

>there was a "chain of thought" in America that...
Let's not pretend this is more relevant than it is

You forgot that they hate water

There was a book that came out in the 70s about a young boy and his indian friend. It was hailed for being an accurate depiction of that indians culture, and the positive portrayal of his tribe.

Then like 10 years later it came out that some southern republican had written it. The butthurt was immense because this book ended up on tons of recommended reading list for gradeschool teachers and was being widely read.

The best thing to do is just have a pen name and never reveal details about yourself.

>I guess you couldn't just make a character who does a job and cares about their kids or has some other motivation

:^)

Good luck in life.

This is a little bit different. I heard that story, and it's not just any southern republican - it was a massively racist klansman and speechwriter for governor George Wallace who actually made up a fake identity for himself, tanned a fuckton, and claimed to be Cherokee.

The book upon googling is "The Education of Little Tree."

You'd better, if you don't want the Diversity Police on your case

B A S E D
Y'all reallllllly need to start critically thinking

>critically thinking
thinking critically

i don't mention race for the majority of characters and give them ambiguous names that could belong to anyone

But with a bit of knowledge, one can use widely accepted liberal views to back up literally any choice. He could've responded with that line about being patronising to the question of why he doesn't have minorities.

Don't explicitly state the race of at least once character and when people accuse you claim that character was always black.

Better yet, have one very stereotypically black character named Tyrone who loves chicken and watermelons without explicitly stating the race. When accused of racism point out that that character is actually white.

It depends on how much authenticity you attempt and if you do attempt it then you're going to have to invite other people into your process I guess. People should write what they know for the most part.