What pots/pans are actually needed for a kitchen cooking for one person?

What pots/pans are actually needed for a kitchen cooking for one person?

That one in your pic and a frying pan

4-5 quart pot with lid and strainer/steamer
1 quart pot
Cast iron pot/Dutch oven
2 Teflon pans
10 inch cast iron skillet
Roasting pan
Aluminium tray

>roasting pan
not necessary

Big ass pot
Small pot
Sauce pan
Stainless or cast iron pan
Nonstick pan

No plastic shit on the handles so everything can also go into the oven

>4-5 quart pot with lid and strainer/steamer
yes

>1 quart pot
just put it in the frying pan

>Cast iron pot/Dutch oven
piss off

>2 Teflon pans
1, hard anodized pan, and only if you're a beginner. once you know how to make some shit you can get an 8 inch, maybe.

>10 inch cast iron skillet
cast iron is for trendy vlogger/bloggers

get stainless steel or carbon steel once you start getting to the point of caring about things like "pan sauces"

>Roasting pan
>Aluminium tray
just get a deep tray ffs

>dutch oven
>piss off

Not him, but I use my enamelled dutch oven all the time for stews, braises, roasts, deep frying and baking bread. Best investment someone can make in cookware. If you're that stupid to dis the dutch oven, every other bit of advice from you should be ignored as well.

Pretty much this, add the tray from and you're good to go.

i'm with this lad but carbon steel is worth considering also

One nonstick aluminum pan. Easy to clean, don't use anything abrasive to move the food or clean it. Silicone utensils and the soft side of a sponge. I'd say no bigger than 10-12 inches. Eggs, fish and delicate fillets would go here. Also good for tossing pasta. If possible get one that doesn't have one of those baroque plastic handles.

Stainless steel frying pan. This is your workhorse. Multiple ply, solidly riveted steel handle. Fry, sear, make sauces, throw it in the oven and defend yourself from intruders with this versatile pan. It requires very little care or maintenance. Get a deep one with a lid and you got a sauce pan.

Get a pot. So cast iron pots hold heat, and aluminum will get hot fast, their flaws being the opposite of each other's strengths. Again, stainless steel pot or dutch oven will require little care and worry. Perfect for the acidic sauces you want to avoid on bare cast iron. A pot for one person seems like much at times but soup is hearty and cheap so you need it. No more than 3 quarts.

That's it. Bare minimum to actually cook.

Cast iron is actually really convenient, it's so easy to clean

Wa la

all you need is one huge pot where you can cook your food on Sundays for the entire week

Read this in ramsays voice, bretty gud

You can do all of that in the 4-5 qt. Even boules.

>If you're that stupid to dis the dutch oven, every other bit of advice from you should be ignored as well
Sounds like you are just butthurt because you spent $100 when you didn't need to.

>teflon
enjoy eating plastic.

This. A stainless steel pot and pan can do everything.

>2 Teflon pans
Big teflon is working hard today.
If there is one pan you absolutely do not need 2 of, its teflon
>4-5 quart pot with lid and strainer/steamer
A metal colander will do just fine for all your steaming
>roasting pan
For all the large roasts you will do over the course of a year just buy an aluminum pan for a dollar and toss it when you're done
>aluminum tray
Not even sure what this refers to. Fuck this guy.

A wok

>cast iron is for trendy vlogger/bloggers
When did this fucking bullshit start?
I have a cast iron skillet handed down to me from my great great grandma. I remember when I was little my grandma making fried bacon and eggs on it for breakfast when I would stay over.
People have been using cast iron for centuries. Fuck hipsters. They won't take that shit away from me.

"For one" is harder than for a group desu. Your largest pot is always going to be the same but the fewer people you have the smaller you need to go.

I'd go with:
- 14-inch carbon steel wok. Local Chinese market, $10, round-bottom if you have a gas range or flat for electric/induction. This will be your workhorse and can do almost everything up to deep-frying if you're willing to increase/decrease portion sizes and take proper care of the seasoning.
- 8- or 10-inch cast-iron skillet. Needed for searing and for things which want a uniform thickness. Can also roast and cook pizza in it.
- 2- or 3-quart saucier: Can't go much smaller while still being able to cook spaghetti, can't go much larger without burning the shit out of your sauces. A saucepan is a cheapier but shittier substitute.
- A full-sized, 3- or 5-gallon stockpot. Soup keeps well so big batches aren't a problem. If you want to brew, you'll need a big one. If you want to do immersion cooking, which you probably will because it's all the "come home and just fry something" benefits of slow cooking except you get steaks rather than iffy casseroles, you'll need one. And if you ever need to cook for a party, you'll need one. If you're absolutely sure none of these apply, though, you can use your wok at the cost of a bunch more work every time and occasional off tastes.
- Because you're a sadlife: shitty little 1-cup saucepan for single-serving reductions and sauteeing aromatics for western dishes.

Everything but the last one will continue to serve you well further in life, and there's very little standard cooking you can't do.

heavy-bottomed pot. For when you want to make soups and stews for yourself.

>all of these weeb weirdos saying to buy a wok
ugh

>no baking sheet

He's cooking for one, the skillet will do almost all the work a baking sheet would and most of it better.

nobody wants to have to cook up every single meal they want. i want to make perogis for example. i'm not going to make like 12 just for that day. i'll make a lot in a 4 quart pot and store it with the lid on in the refrigerator and eat it with some vegetables i did the same thing with for then next couple of days or whatever.

>2/17 posters

Sure, that's why I have the stockpot and the wok listed.
But for baking, you can easily fit a few days of bread or sweets in the skillet. Plus, to get far beyond the basics you're going to want a decent mixer, which is a bigger investment than my entire list combined. And of course, if you ever do find that you desperately need a baking sheet for something, you can grab a foil pan almost anywhere.

what the fuck do i do if i want to bake something

Bake it in the skillet.

I didn't think of that. Wow. It doesn't seem like enough though. I don't want to make every single part of a dish every single day. A pan isn't large enough to make say baked breaded chicken tenders or something. Maybe i'm wrong but you'd get like 6-8 in a skillet at the most.

A serving is 1. 6-8 is lunch and dinner for most of a week, unless we're talking some sort of tendies-only diet.

The other thing with baking is that, like frying, you don't need to do much work to do a second batch. If you want three tendies a meal you can easily put another 8 in when you pull your first set out and still be ready to clean up after dinner.

Who is eating 1 tendie in their meal? It's more like 3. Maybe I want a few tendie meals. With that I'll have sides, smashed/roasted potatos, maybe some macaroni and cheese, broccoli/brussell sprouts or whatever. I'd have like 4 meals worth of that stuff and i can't just make tenders every day for that. My point isn't holding a lot of weight anymore, I guess.

another example is like enchiladas or something. I need a casserole dish for that. You make like 10-12 in that, eat a few that day and store the rest in the refrigerator and slowly eat them with other sides you already made etc... i can't use a skillet for that

user, skillet enchiladas are a whole-family meal with leftovers. I'm worried about your health.

It's not enough user. I can't go to this trouble for like 3-4 of these. I can spend $30 on a casserole dish and make so many more.

also that image isn't even a skillet but a saucepan

it would be a shame if a heron somehow snuck into your kitchen...

You've never cooked, you've barely even thought of cooking, and you won't start any time soon

Otherwise any nonretard would first figure out what he wants to make, then get what he needs to make it
And that's how you discover the various pots you could use in a kitchen. Same with knives, utensils, plates

I hate you consumerist faggots who just buy a bunch of shit out of boredom and then let it sit there to gather dust
You gearfaggots are the same cancer on all boards and all topics fucking hell

But ok, let's take your disabled brain by the hand. To start, you can make most things with:
- a deeper pot for soups, stews, everything with larger volume and sauce
- a frying pan
That's fucking it how could you not figure this out if you've ever stepped inside a kitchen. Didn't you ever see your parents cook?

sauce pan, saute pan and frying pan is all i use

that's a saute pan sauce pans are tall and narrow

whatever you feel is needed

>a deep pot and a frying pan
>that's it
I'm not convinced you cook either

I cook for 1 every night

You've essentially just admitted you don't cook in two ways. What you've said is essentially you trying to share the guilt with the person your replying to, admitting that hes right. The other is that you think hes wrong about some autistic idiot only needing a standard pot and pan to cook with

This right here. Obviously it's going to depend on how serious you are about cooking. If you just want to make some quick "bachelor chow" you'd probably get by just fine with a frying pan an a larger saucepan.

If you want to make more complicated meals or if you really take cooking seriously and you want to do as good a job as possible you'd likely end up with a variety of different cookware: different shapes, sizes, and materials.

12" pan
8" pan
3.5qt sauce pot
2qt saucier
cheap 12qt stockpot

I've no idea what you're going on about, but I often need one pot for doing a sauce and one pot for something like rice, spaghetti, pasta, noodles etc

>even calls his pans qt
>doesn't finish quotes
>settles for cheap qts
the fuck is wrong with you dude do you draw anime eyes on your pots and pans?

i've been here too long

>large stainless steel pot with lid
>small stainless pot with lid
>stainless steel wok
>stainless steel sauce pan
>that's it.
avoid non stick crap, they'll give you cancer in 10 years. Heat up your oil to a decent temperature so food doesn't stick when frying. Go stainless steel for a fuss free experience.

I mean, for a beginner that should be enough

HAHAHAHA POORFAGGOT COOKS WITH LESS THAN 12 POTS AND 8 PANS AHAHHAA
m8 do you even transfer your fried eggs between cast iron pans to filter the grease

L E C R E U S E T

1 3.5Qt enameled cast iron dutch oven
1 cast iron frying pan for meats/seafood
1 nonstick pan for making eggs only, with silicon tools only
10Qt cast iron dutch oven for baking beans

I can tell you OP my enameled cast iron is in my carry-on backpack whenever I fly. I've cooked for myself, friends, family, etc around the world with it, and it will last longer than I will. Also of course only use wooden spoons.

>my enameled cast iron is in my carry-on backpack whenever I fly

>I've cooked for myself, friends, family, etc around the world with it

>no cast iron pan

>it will last longer than I will

>only use wooden spoons

>10Qt cast iron dutch oven

>for baking beans

>1 nonstick pan for making eggs only

>with silicon tools only

>user tries to bait me
>reveals his own uncontrolled autism instead

>beans
Or bread.

>cast iron frying pan for meats/seafood

>enameled cast iron dutch oven

>L E C R E U S E T

Mah nigerillian! I gave shit to a tard who dissed on enamelled dutch ovens above because I use it all the time. I'd clean out horse stables to save enough money to buy one if I was too poor to afford another one and someone stole my current one.

Sorry about the thievery my user. But yea OP that is what is great about enameled when cooking for one. You can go eat your batchelor chow and not think about how much you have to clean up, and it doubles as food storage in the fridge.

>sauce pan
>frying pan
>large pot
>small pot
>baking sheet
>9x13 pan for baking
everything else is superfluous, you don't need hotel pans and a double boiler if you are cooking simply for yourself

This is pretty good except lose the 2nd teflon and replace the roasting pan with a glass casserole dish

And since we're talking cookware here, I've got pic related showing up in a few days.. It's a 2qt sauce pan and a 3qt saute pan. Pretty excited

>my enameled cast iron is in my carry-on backpack whenever I fly

>he counted

I hope you got a good deal because at full retail those are an insane ripoff

>everyone saying stainless steel, cast iron, no stick
Get a carbon steel skillet, season it well and properly store it and take care of it and it will last you a lifetime.

>it will last you a lifetime
Because I'd never use it? Ok, but I'd rather just have things that don't suck.

18/10 lined copper > all

One giant wide and tall pan you can use for everything

They're on par with a whole lot of other well-made pans, and worth it.

what are the actual benefits of carbon steel or copper pans?

SS Stock pot
SS Large pot
SS Medium pot
SS Small pot
SS Frying pan / Saute pan (either)
Carbon steel / cast iron frying pan
Dutch oven
Baking pan

I'd consider that to be the essential group. Good additions to that for baking would be a muffin pan, cake pans, and potentially a spring form pan. If you have the right stove for it, a wok would be fantastic.

Are you insane?

MSRP for the 5 quart saute pan is $450

I've seen them at TJ Max for as low as $200, at that point it's an ok deal. Not amazing but I wouldn't have a problem with it.

But at full retail, you have to be some kind of retard.

the racing stripe makes them cook about 5-15% faster, in my experience. good choice

Carbon steel - can be fairly non stick and also heat to high temperatures, works amazing for searing meat but also stuff like pancakes and eggs.

Copper - mostly a meme, but scientifically has the best heat transfer of cookware materials meaning that it heats more evenly across the pan, and also heats up and cools down faster. A pot with a good amount of aluminium between stainless steel will be basically just as good.

What? At the all-clad site it's 299, and can easily be found for less than that. I don't know what you call MSRP if not what it's selling for on the all-clad site without any notation of a sale or discount.

$105 for the saute pan and $124.99 for the sauce pan. Still a fucking lot but I take very good care of my stuff

My dad has the same (non copper) sauce pan and just the ergonomics alone make it a joy to use

>flour tortillas
>enchiladas

I'm talking about pic related. That's why I asked about full retail. You're not paying full retail.

$105 is great, you did well. Evidently they weren't selling well (for obvious reasons) so they must be clearing out the inventory and discontinuing the product line.

ATK rated it el numero uno en el muno

>What pots/pans are actually needed for a kitchen cooking for one person?
I don't know, what do you like to cook?

I would personally say 1 pot and 1 pan (or 2 pans instead) and a frying pan is the bare minimum.

Ha ha

I'm a Le Creuset aficionado, and we prefer the term 'create' instead of 'cook'.

don't worry user, that's what any normal person would say to a beginner

this is true but id also add a baking sheet and a proper deeper oven pan for roasts or brownies or oven fries or w/e.

you can even axe the baking sheet and just use the pan instead, its not like it matters in a normal electric non-convection oven

ps stovetop woks are for white trash who dont really cook. my roommate bought one recently and i dont think he's used it literally once.

you can use a green scrubbie on teflon, teflon is L I T E R A L L Y diamonds (seriously, it's a coating of industrial carbon lattice which is essentially the same as diamond and is the same sort of diamond that goes on "diamond drills" etc)

so 1
>you can use a green scrubbie on teflon
of course
>teflon is L I T E R A L L Y diamonds
>Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) is a synthetic fluoropolymer of tetrafluoroethylene that has numerous applications
>many cookware manufacturers developed proprietary PTFE-based formulas, including Swiss Diamond International, which uses a diamond-reinforced PTFE formula;Scanpan, which uses a titanium-reinforced PTFE formula; and both All-Clad and Newell Rubbermaid's Calphalon, which use a non-reinforced PTFE-based nonstick
so there's pretty much just one company that _adds_ diamonds to reinforce it, and otherwise it highly depends on the manufacturer
tl;dr it is rarely the case, and when it is, diamonds are added, so everything else can still be scraped off by mistake

>some type of pan is for white trash
disregard what I said, you're a retard

>ATK
opinion disregarded

I highly recommend a 12 inch all stainless steel saute pan. Go to TJ Maxx, Marshalls or Homegoods and buy one. I got this calphalon workhorse there for 30 dollars, its 90 on amazon

err sorry skillet...i have the 12 inch saute pan too but don't use it as much. i do risotto and stuff in that one

you can get all-clad pans at TJ max for like 60 bucks...