Would Veeky Forums be interested in a quotes thread?

Would Veeky Forums be interested in a quotes thread?

Eg share a quote from a favorite author or thinker that provokes some emotional response in you, or causes you to pause and consider

>pause and consider

You mean something that gets my noggin' joggin'?

Don't ask, just tell people to post theirs OP.

I like Melville's that goes "Better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation."

As long as it activates my almonds

OP will kick things off before his use of Eg gets criticized

To pretend, I actually do the thing: I have therefore only pretended to pretend.
Derrida

Christianity contrasts far more strongly with Jewish belief than with paganism.
t. Goethe

Interesting

Are you familiar with nietzsches thoughts on the origin and development of Christian morality?

>Die Fesseln der gequälten Menschheit sind aus Kanzleipapier
-Kafka

the chains of tortured mankind are made out of official papers
(translation loses something desu. imo tormented fits the german 'gequält' better than tortured and while office can technically be translated to 'Kanzlei' it also has different meaning but w/e)

Having suffered under the yoke of modern day bureaucracy many times, I can very much relate to this quote

"Kids are like poems, they're only amazing to their creators, to everyone else they're bloody annoying."
// Doug Stanhope

>Every one being allowed to learn to read, ruins in the long run not only writing but also thinking.
>Once spirit was God, then it became man, and now it even becomes the rabble.
Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra

I realize he was partly being provocative for the sake of being provocative here, but what he's provoking thought on, intellectual elitism, certainly deserves it; too many people view it as something entirely negative when there are actually so many things it makes possible.

>Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the oftener and the more steadily we reflect on them: the starry heavens above and the moral law within. I have not to search for them and conjecture them as though they were veiled in darkness or were in the transcendent region beyond my horizon; I see them before me and connect them directly with the consciousness of my existence. The former begins from the place I occupy in the external world of sense, and enlarges my connection therein to an unbounded extent with worlds upon worlds and systems of systems, and moreover into limitless times of their periodic motion, its beginning and continuance. The second begins from my invisible self, my personality, and exhibits me in a world which has true infinity, but which is traceable only by the understanding, and with which I discern that I am not in a merely contingent but in a universal and necessary connection, as I am also thereby with all those visible worlds. The former view of a countless multitude of worlds annihilates as it were my importance as an animal creature, which after it has been for a short time provided with vital power, one knows not how, must again give back the matter of which it was formed to the planet it inhabits (a mere speck in the universe). The second, on the contrary, infinitely elevates my worth as an intelligence by my personality, in which the moral law reveals to me a life independent of animality and even of the whole sensible world, at least so far as may be inferred from the destination assigned to my existence by this law, a destination not restricted to conditions and limits of this life, but reaching into the infinite.

Don't know why people only quote the first line of it most of the times.

Bump

>Bump
And that's my quote for today.

On the other hand: A board full of people who claim to be reading a lot, can't produce any good quotes?

What a bunch of roleplaying plebs. All the fags (not in this thread) just want to pretend to be intellectual but with shit for brains they can't even recite what they read.

bump

"Bump" - user

Vivamus mea lesbi' atque 'memus

”Before I knowed it, I was sayin' out loud, 'The hell with it! There ain't no sin and there ain't no virtue. There's just stuff people do. It's all part of the same thing.'"

"You're always you, and that don't change, and you're always changing, and there's nothing you can do about it."

Neil Gaiman, The Graveyard Book

"A tiller of the ground, body and soul; a worker on the land without respite. A ghost risen out of the past to point to the future; a man from the earliest days of cultivation, a settler in the wilds, nine hundred years old, and withal, a man of the day"

At least post a good quote with your bump

"He talks more than six men and drinks more than twelve, all paid for by his tongue and his monkey and his puppet show."
-Cervantes

>Svanire è dunque la ventura delle venture.
Eugenio Montale

Translation:
Therefore, fading is the biggest of all ventures.
or: Therefore, fading is the biggest of all adventures.

>Ach, wen vermögen wir denn zu brauchen.
Rilke

Alas, whom are we able to need.

Et proiectus est draco ille magnus serpens antiquus qui vocatur Diabolus et Satanas qui seducit universum orbem proiectus est in terram et angeli eius cum illo missi sunt

Revelation 12,9

No hablo español, pablo

おまえのケツがやっべぇ!柔らかでオレがやっべぇ!

Dies Irae

>español
Effing pleb.

I am 100% that post was a joke
>censuring yourself on Veeky Forums
wtf

So it went

- Vonnegut

>Latin
>spanish
wew lad

also
>not reading Don Quixote in it's original language
i bet you don't even speak Portuguese

How it do

- Vonnegut

>"Prove me wrong! Protip: You can't!"
// Troll under bridge at Veeky Forums

thanks for this i've never read Kafka

Love this from the catsby

"He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it, that you may come across four or five times in life. It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. It understood you just as far as you wanted to be understood, believed in you as you would like to believe in yourself."

Beautiful clothes are a sign of joy
Joubert

"Quand je me joue à ma chatte, qui sçait si elle passe son temps de moy plus que je ne fay d'elle?"

When I play with my cat, who knows if I am not a pastime to her more than she is to me?

Montaigne, Essays

All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone.
-Pascal
This quote completely fucks my shit up, I can't come up with a proper response to it and at best I just forget it exists and keep distracting myself.

"Before his death, Rabbi Zusya said "In the coming world, they will not ask me: 'Why were you not Moses?' They will ask me: 'Why were you not Zusya?"