What is it about cast iron that brings out people's autism and superstition...

What is it about cast iron that brings out people's autism and superstition? Simply posting this image WILL result in two or more autists getting into a heated argument about some inconsequential detail of cast iron use/maintenance.

Other urls found in this thread:

wholelifestylenutrition.com/health/how-to-cook-on-season-a-stainless-steel-pan-to-create-a-non-stick-surface/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>using cast iron

Ok I'll bite
>not using cast iron

Reasons why cast iron is a good idea:
>Great thermal mass
>Never warps
>Dutch ovens and shit
>Cheap compared to All-Clad, which is your other choice
>Maintaining cast iron is a lesson in good kitchen discipline

If you can't afford All-Clad, get cast iron.
Go nowhere in between, between everything else is bound to be just trash.
Cast is the only "value alternative" cookware you should ever, ever consider.

I ruined so many non-stick pans (nice shit like calphalon) searing steaks that I caved in and bought a 12" cast iron skillet. It sears well, but maintaining that seasoning takes effort. Cast iron is perfect for shallow frying and stove-to-oven recipes like dutch babies, but I'm left with a huge fucking stuck-on mess whenever I sear meat in a small amount of oil. I season that shit in the oven at 500 degrees with Crisco after each use but I'm getting sick of it. I might try carbon steel next.

Reminder that there is nothing wrong with washing with soap and water as long as you immediately hand dry the pan.

Cast iron is retarded lol. Have to maintain it and takes too long to heat up. If you’re autistic about the cooking experience then go ahead and use one but don’t pretend that it’s practical

You're a retard if you buy modern day cast iron skillets. Go thrift shopping and pick up a used old one.

Finally another sane person. Anyone who's stripped the seasoning off a pan on purpose should realize how absurd it is to think a little dish soap will ruin it. As long as you don't let the thing rust it literally does not matter what you do to it.

I used the last one I ruind for target practice. Worth it

>and takes too long to heat up
Nigger what?

No point though just wipe it out with a paper towel

You're about a year too late. The debate here has mostly been settled and we've arrived at agreeable terms for the best and worst use cases for ci.

Nah I saw some autismos fighting about it just last week

I just rub a dab of olive oil in after every use and I haven’t had any problems so far

carbon steel behaves roughly the same way
to clean that shit without effort, after you've finished with the stake put water into the pan while it's still on the heat. Like an inch.

let it boil and scrape the bottom through the water with a wooden spoon.
Pour it out, rinse it, wipe it down as necessary while rinsing, then put it back on the heat to let any remaining water evaporate.
Wipe down with oil while hot.

>the stake
brain parasites.
"the steak"

This. I have about a dozen all-clads and still use my cast iron for thick steaks, cornbread, and anything that's seared then broiled in the oven (half a chicken, etc.)

I enjoy the conductivity, heat retention, seasoning, and grippy surface. It's a nuance, not for everyone.

WRONG

Perhaps you lack tastebuds or your soap lacks scent because this does NOT work. I was a chef for ten years, I've made the mistakes- this is a bad one.

>I enjoy the conductivity
why?
a quick google search will prove yourself wrong, assuming your pan is seasoned properly

AC probably also thinks a quick rinse under the cold faucet makes a mushroom soggy.
No, a quick clean with soap will not strip seasoning, and neither will cooking something a little acidic in your cast iron. I wouldn't simmer a tomato sauce in it all day but you can have some tomato and onions in there with your roast no problem.

I don't get it either OP. I have an 8 and 12 inch, and a 10 in Mineral B. They're all great but the MB is the most used.

People need to just fucking cook on it. I've never done any of that gay "flaxseed special in the over for blah blah" stuff. Just keep it clean, use oils/butter and that's fucking it.

Cast iron plebs:
>have to season their shitty pan before use
>even then still have to use it for a year before it gets good
>can't wash in a dishwasher
>can't even use soap
>can't soak in water
>can't store their shit pan within 3 feet of a tomato or the seasoning will immediately dissolve
>still afraid to use metal utensils for fear of chipping the seasoning

Enlightened bare stainless steel connoiseurs:
>pan is already perfect on first use
>just put it in the dishwasher
>or soak it in the sink
>can cook literally anything in it
>fucking scrub it with steel wool
>leave it lying around wet and dirty in your kitchen for a week when you're too lazy to clean it

Cast iron is literally meme cookware. It's touted as being "durable" despite it needing constant babying and the only thing you can use it for without cast iron plebs shitting their pants is frying a steak. Just get a stainless steel pan you fucking hipster.

>b-but the food sticks!!!
So? Just pour some liquid on it and fucking scrape it off.

You do know you can and should season those too and they'll also create a non stick surface right?

>stainless fag

You can even make a perfect omelette with one.

>Folded in half not rolled

>have old-ass cast iron pan from previous roommates
>probably has been collecting dust for at least a year now
Should I just chuck it into the trash?
Is there any way to save it?

Oh easily just clean and re season. People pass cast irons down thru generations. They will never break on you.

throw it in a fire
after it cools, wash with soap and water
apply micro thin layer of lard
back in oven @ 350º for an hour with cooking surface facing down
after an hour, cut off the oven
let it cool down on its own
you're good to go

wrong

Even if you do let it rust, you can just scrape the shit off and reseason it.

Worst case scenario you eat a little bit of rust which isn't going to hurt you.

Thing is you don't need to. Also you'd have to re oil the pan immediately after unless you got some super thick seasoning on that pan.

>>Never warps

This is wrong. You can warp cast iron if you chill it immediately after cooking with it, like all metals. Also, you forgot the biggest plus.

>your guns

wholelifestylenutrition.com/health/how-to-cook-on-season-a-stainless-steel-pan-to-create-a-non-stick-surface/

Retard.

They attract the kind of people who want to feel like they're "sticking it to the man" and will come up with all kinds of retarded voodoo about pores/magnetite/flax oil, and how cast iron should be used for everything and if you have good tools it means you suck at cooking

We see these types on /g/ too, they sperg about their special mechanical seiko watches and how they're better than an ETA 3-jewel quartz watch because "in house" or some dumb ass shit like that. Or how their 3 foot tall shrieking radiators are totally better than a laptop because muh 500W PSU, I plugged cards into slots designed to hold those cards and that makes me some kind of super genius

If you use a cast iron pan for anything other than the occasional hamburger or corn bread, I guarantee you eat like shit and you probably live like a god damm animal.

And just show us on the doll where the cast iron pan touched you, user.

Cast iron pans are garbage. People use them because they triggers nostalgic sentiments. Iron rust (that is what you get in every meal you prepare in cast iron regardless of how you wash or season it) is toxic for the liver and other organs. Also, cast iron has a tendency to give food a rancid flavor (because of all the layers of oxidized oils used for seasoning). Cast iron cookware belongs in museums. Many people believe that washing a cast iron pan, then adding some oil to it, somehow, magically, makes them less disgusting.

americans are afraid of technology so they desperately cling to cast iron cookware instead of using teflon or ceramic

>accidentally left cast iron pan on a hot stove for an hour
>now 1 year worth of seasoning is flaking off

its not worth it

>PAN
>
>NICE
>AND
>HOT

>All-Clad
thats just some brand your shilling, they look like they got teflon

What the hell are you talking about? Why do cast iron fags always try to make it a competition between their stove fedoras and teflon pans?

Teflon is a niche tool, just because you try to make your cast iron do stuff that it sucks at doesn't mean most people have just one pan.

t. someone who has a stainless all clad pan, several cast iron pieces, several enameled iron pieces, 2.5mm copper, a teflon pan, etc

looks like a poached omlet

The instant pot has 14 Smart Programs - Soup, Meat/Stew, Bean/Chili, Poultry, Sauté/Simmer, Rice, Multigrain, Porridge, Steam, Slow Cook, Keep Warm, Yogurt, Manual, and Pressure Cook. You hear that cast iron???? Saute/Simmer! Instant pot is coming for you! Let's see cast iron pressure cook! How is your pre-jesus technology gonna compete? IT CAN'T! It doesn't even have built in sensors... the microprocessor monitors pressure, temperature, keeps time, and adjusts heating intensity and duration to achieve your desired results every time!!! It even has a delay function so that I can tell it to start cooking something 10 hours from now. Try telling your cast iron to start cooking something for you 10 hours from now. You'll get fucking hospitalized in a mental institution because people will think you are crazy for talking to a god damn cast iron pan.

You fuckers never had a chance. In some ways, I feel sorry for you. But you should have known better all along.

>>can't store their shit pan within 3 feet of a tomato or the seasoning will immediately dissolve
>>still afraid to use metal utensils for fear of chipping the seasoning
REKT! CI is for fools and poor morons with only 12 dollars to spend.

It's a mystical substance that my roommates can't use.

I've told them that despite how I abuse my pan, I really don't care if they choose to scrub it back down to raw metal, as long as they oil it up before it gets put away. Still, every time they use it, I have to remove rust... I don't understand. Before I moved here, that thing was thickly coated in a teflon-like reduction of food ghosts. Did they fucking oxy-clean it?

>I was a chef for ten years
Then you were wrong for ten years. I've washed my pans with soap for a year now and it's done nothing.

I cook tomatoes and exclusively use metal utensils on my ci. Got a perfect seasoning. Just use oil or butter when you use it and use it often. Mines just about the only pan I use and I use it at least once a day.

Okay well while we're on the subject, I've never been able to use aluminum/stainless steel pans without shit sticking to it like it's made of glue, even when using grease. What am I doing wrong? Too much heat? Not enough?

Seasoning with flax oil is a Jewish trick. That shit is loaded with chemicals that will turn you gay and make you grow man boobs. Olive oil is my seasoning oil of choice.

See

I have cast iron, shitty aluminum, Teflon coated SS, bare SS and a ceramic frying pan.

Depends on what I cook, on what pan I use (best tool for the job, ....)

>
>>stainless fag
>
>You can even make a perfect omelette with one.
>Perfect omelette
>No visible additions

You just made folded scrambled eggs

mfw no one is willing to touch this post, because they know its true.

teflon is toxic

only when you heat it to like 600 degrees, where basically everything becomes toxic and also horrendously dangerous because it is currently 600 degrees and will burn you severely if ingested

Question:

I inherited my grandma's cast iron skillet from my dad who passed away recently. He (and she) used it for literally everything. When I put water on it, it beads up and all that. Thick layer of grease. It is probably 60 years old.

When I moved, I saw mouse poop on it so I cleaned off it with some dish detergent. Will that fuck it up forever?

No, just fry a bunch of potato peelings with half a cup of oil and a tablespoon or three of salt until they are almost black. It will be as good as ever.

>not using a carbon steel skillet instead

Thanks my man

"L-Lazy!"

Can do on cast iron. Anything else?

I actually use my rice cooker for most things it's pretty cool to have a single item to make my meals in vs having to use multiple different things.

>stainless steel
>cast iron
Step away nerds, make way for the superior stone frying pan.

Seems like a meme.

Enameled aluminum?

My dude

just got a lodge dutch oven, gonna make some baked beans tomorrow using Alton's recipe and there's nothing you niggas can do about it

The cuisinart tri-ply pots and pans are pretty nice. Almost as good as all-clad but a fraction of the price.
But there is also no reason not to have a cast iron pan since they cost like $20. Dutch Ovens are awesome too if you are serious about cooking.

I just use my iron pan for pizza and meat