Local Specialties

>mfw the only redeeming quality my state has other than low taxation is pic related.
Anyone else live in a state or county or (European equivalent) with odd specialties?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mett
youtube.com/watch?v=z9g4X7LnR18
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Way too much onion. But i would still facefuck

For a second I thought that was a fried calf's brain sandwich. It's kind of a thing in the Ohio River valley.

Absolutely horrifying. To think just a couple hours away from me there are people eating brains.

Is that potato salad, Cole slaw, or other?

Cole slaw

*Coleslaw

Indiana

Indiana and Iowa both clam this as their own.

Which is it?

is the size of the cutlet always like that or is that just a particular spot's gimmick?

My nigger!

Livermush, R.O's bbq slaw.

>salmon

So fucking awful fuck Washington's complete lack of interesting food.

Indiana. Iowa can fuck off.

That is a big one by most standards, but generally the surface area outside of the bun should at least be equal to the covered surface.

Indiana?

They had to switch from calf to pig since the mad cow stuff in the mid 2000's.

state sandwich of massachusetts is the fluffernutter.

also, new yorkers can fuck right off with their red clam soup

There's nothing wrong with zuppa di vongole

just don't call it chowder

California tri tip bros. Op and are dank as fuck too

BBQ slaw is pretty damn good. Definitely prefer it's ketchup base over regular slaw's mayo base.

This is the western North Carolina. My dad lives in Mooresville and this is the kind of slaw they use there. I grew up in the Eastern part of the state where we do the mayo base. I actually like both.

But the real question is whether Eastern Carolina style or Western Carolina style is best. I may live in Western NC now, but I still prefer that Eastern style sauce.

While we're on the topic of Carolina BBQ, I'll share the recipe I've developed for actually decent slow-cooker pulled pork. I took notes from both actual barbecue recipes and a few different slow-cooker methods. The result doesn't quite match real pit-smoked barbecue, but it does a good job for something you can make in an average kitchen.

Ingredients for the Pork
>4-5lb boneless pork shoulder roast, also called Boston butt
>1 large sweet onion
>1 green apple
>2 teaspoons kosher salt or sea salt
>2 cloves garlic, pressed
>2 teaspoons black pepper
>2 tablespoons brown sugar
>1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
>1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
>1 teaspoon regular chili powder
>1 teaspoon mustard powder
>1/2 teaspoon cayenne
>1 teaspoon sage
>1 and 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
>1 tablespoon liquid smoke

Mix sugar, salt, and spices in bowl. Set the pork on a sheet of plastic wrap big enough to cover it, then pat dry with paper towels. Rub the whole thing down with the sugar/spice mixture. Wrap it up tight in the plastic wrap. Set it in the refrigerator on a plate(to catch any leaks) for 12 hours. When the pork is ready, slice the onion and apple into rings. Lay half of each on the bottom of the slow-cooker pot. Place the pork on top of them, then layer the rest of the onion and apple on top. Gently pour the vinegar and liquid smoke over it all. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. While it cooks, prepare your favorite sauce and slaw recipes. When the pork is done, pull it apart in the pot with large forks and a knife if needed. It should practically fall apart by itself though. Serve hot on toasted hamburger buns with slaw and sauce.

Damn, I forgot the crucial step between dry-rubbing then pork and putting it in the slow-cooker! First, you should put the pork in a roasting pan and broil it in the oven for a bit. You want a good sear on both sides of it, so take it out and flip it once you see a crust form on the first side. Save the drippings and pour them into the slow-cooker when you add the vinegar.

bbq bologna sandwich

I was reading the recipe and thought the same thing! I will try this soon user.

From concept to execution, literally everything is wrong with Manhattan clam "chowder"

Is that a fellow MNfag

Netherlands reporting in. from wikipedia: Bitterballen are a Dutch meat-based snack, typically containing a mixture of beef or veal, beef broth, butter, flour for thickening, parsley, salt and pepper, resulting in a thick roux.

this is what the inside looks like

So like falafel but made of meat? Sounds good.

Iowa has the maid rite user.

Chowdah

Purloo is like some underground shit that people only wisper about where I'm from. I only found out about it by reading historical records from the area and travelling 15 miles outside of town to a baptist church where they had a left over church cookbook in the waiting area with like 20 different versions.

Also known for our cinnamon rolls apparently

Germany here. How about some Mett on a bun with onions?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mett

Vermonter here.

Only thing going for us is real cheese, maple syrup and other dairy stuff.

That and shitty k-cup coffees.

Regardless of our homegrown coffee beans, we still fell for the k-cup meme

Hey fuck you Indiana.

All things I like. I bet a year old cheddar with just a drizzle of natty maple syrup on a piece of dark bread tastes of the gods

U jelly of our superior agricultural production per square mile of farmland Iowafag?

Superior to whom?

I unapologetically have a huge boner for the Hoosier state. Love the people, love the lifestyle, love the little bit of urban with a whole lot of rural. I toured the entire state when I worked for Mike "LGBTBBQ" Pence, and I probably ate a tenderloin in 60 different counties. I love you OP, and all Hoosiers too

Check the map, boyo. Superior to all when the soil is factored in with the average weather conditions during the growing season, as well as the number of processing and growing plants for livestock.

This guy gets it.

Forgot image.

This shit is like crack for hispanics

You mean just for corn
And it's too bad for you that I live in that giant fucking valley in California that's high quality farm ground. In particular I live in the low development portion in the north. And we have temperate winters with no snow so our growing season is significantly longer. We have fresh local strawberries and tomatoes before the first day of spring.

Pls no

Not bad for me, just good for you.

you better believe it
all the benefits of comfort Midwest food without being poor and Iowan

They sell pic related at every gas station and kiosk here in Norway, don't know if it's unique to us though.

We don't have much meme food really, most fast food is just boring old mcdonalds and burger king, which is shit.

Used to get this at school occasionally it was tasty garbage.

I have certainly never seen a bacon wrapped burger on a sesame seed bun. Are they any good usually?

ben and jerry's?
go get a vermonster

Mexicans sell them in front of SF sports stadiums.

It's a sausage, not a burger, but yes they are very good, put a little raw onion on that sucker with some relish and coarse mustard, delicious.

Is that guy going to eat off the trunk of his car?

The tradeoff is that you're in california. Surrounded by californians.
That con outweighs every pro.

It's really not as bad as you meme. Notice I said I was in the northern green part. Our taxes are a con tho. The people really aren't that bad.

Non-american here, what's so bad about California?
I loved my time there when I was visiting.
I would probably want to live in California if I had to live in the US to be honest.
>Warm and nice climate
>Good food
>Can go to the beach whenever you want
>The people were generally nice
>Deserts are cool
>Legal weed
Is it a muh lefties thing? Is it unacceptable for you to be around people who disagree with you politically? That's pretty petty and childish if you ask me.

They're jealous of us user. Look at that list of wonderful things you got to do, they don't get to do any of that. I never even said a bad thing about any of their foods, in fact I complimented them because it looks actually good, but if I say one nice thing about my state it results in a triggerstorm.

The southern half of california is a desolate mexican hellhole and the state actively refuses to wage war on the invaders, instead taking the money from here and using it to make sure they get free everything.
Also crying about water when they're trying to farm in the desert and their general snobbery.

Odd specialities? Nah not really. All of the local food in New Orleans seems pretty normal to me. Gumbo is just a stew, red beans and rice is great and stuff like bananas foster and doberge cake are delicious. I guess the weirdest thing would be crawfish boils? Some people seem to think it's strange but man a good crawfish boil is just amazing. The crawfish are already good but the sausage, corn, garlic and potatoes cooked alongside are also great stuff.

Delicious Nawlins friend.

There have been more and more bums every time I go visit family in Santa Cruz. According to the locals these shithole teens drive across country and then run out of money in Cali, where they just live in their vans and beg money for weed and ramen.

Now don't get me wrong I do like California otherwise but seriously, the coastline near the surfing museum in Santa Cruz is like, the Land of the Vans now.

scrapple, if you conisder blocks of fat and pig rectum to be odd
hogmaw is actually the worst """""delicacy""""" to come out of pennsyltucky

Lol keep santa Cruz weird!

Seriously college towns are what gives California a bad name

Along with LA of course. But LA is filled with transplants from everywhere and especially a bunch of east coast show biz Jews and wops.

some americans i've talked to think poutine is weird and disgusting as fuck

When you see people complain about California on Veeky Forums it's something to do with liberals, immigrants or gun laws

that looks delicious

I'm british - it is

I would love some poutine, looks hella delicious, probably great to binge on while drunk/high/both.
If I'm ever in Canada, this will be the first thing I'll look for.

>Americans
>Thinking fried potatoes covered in cheese and gravy is gross

But... A+B doesn't equal C senpai?

youtube.com/watch?v=z9g4X7LnR18
Matschi Matschi

>after my insulin shot I need a hearty breakfast
lel

I like Mett but I'm surprised her body isn't rejecting that much raw pork with NO BREAD.

very good, but also extremely dry
a drink is a necessity

Kulen.

False. Stroopwafels or bust.

American flatbread is pretty dope too. I’m a former Vermonter and was excited to see it hit my grocery stores.

>International junk food is cuisine
Plz

Georgia Peach Cobbler

Never seen this before. Somewhat curious. Is it good?

I had heard about this, but never knew it would look like that. tater tot top is blowing my mind.

They're really fucking good though, nothing else like them (I'm not even from there)

this is called a bofsandwich, literally beef sandwich and it's loaded with raw, fried and soft onions, pickled red beets, pickles, remoulade, ketchup, mustard and a classic brown sauce typically made on pork bones. It literally looks like someone threw up inside the sandwich but it is probably the best thing you can get in a danish grill, fuck it's good. It does require knife and fork tho, or you can be drunk as shit and not just give a fuck either way it's messy as hell

cubans. I don't have any particular fondness for them, but they're bretty gud sammies.

It’s extremely uncommon in the USA outside of states on the Canadian border like Illinois. I’m from the South and I’ve only had it once before. It was amazing.

it's actually 100x better when drunk, best drunk food out there

holy shit that looks satisfying

I'd slam the shit out of that. It looks like a sophisticated sloppy joe bursting with 10X more flavor.

Deep fried everything

>t. deep frying some Mora Ribsters rn

Where is that?

The Netherlands. We have a very rich deep fried snack culture

>Cincinnati style chili
We call it chili but everyone knows it as watery meat sauce (which is very much is).
Im born and raised in cincinnati so i grew up with the stuff but i make it a point to never recommend it to anyone who doesnt know. I like it but i realize not everyone will and i dislike having to constantly justify my hometown food.

MY NEGRO

I have a friend from Ohio that says this is good but I just can’t fathom how watery chili on spaghetti with a mountain of fake cheese on top is good.