Anons, who've read the Iliad, what's your favorite part

anons, who've read the Iliad, what's your favorite part
>song of partoclus
>achilles sadness and rage over partoclus
>when hector's father comes to achilles, and they dine and talk about mortal man's fate

Really liked the part when Ulysses and Diomedes sneaked around at night, interrogated the Trojan spy and sacked the Thracian camp

The part where Achilles is a whining bitch

I know I've read it, because I had to write essays on it about 4 years ago, but for the life of me I can't remember anything about it at all. Is something wrong with me?

When my boy Telamonian Ajax was swinging telephone poles around sending lesser men down into the darkness and abyss below.

When Achilles hears that Patroclus has died. His reaction mirrors a death earlier that I can't remember...suggesting something like he has symbolically died from the news.

I just finished this today. Priam and Achilles meeting was definitely a highlight.

What was up with all the games they played after Patroclus's funeral? It was a bit of an odd tonal shift.

The Greeks followed Zyzz's central philosophy:
>Stop being a sad cunt, and start being a sick cunt
Rather than moping around like sad cunts they fuckin played some sports because sports are for sick cunts.

Diomedes is my favorite hero in the Iliad.

>He fights with fury and fills men's souls with panic. I hold him mightiest of them all; we did not fear even their great champion Achilles, son of an immortal though he be, as we do this man: his rage is beyond all bounds, and there is none can vie with him in prowess

I forget who it was probably Diomedes when he challenged Apollo or whatever. Achilles fighting the rivergod too.

I wish we did this today tbqh.
Funerals in the west are usually just too fucking depressing.

All these classic novels I read in Middle and High School I either didn't fully apreaciate or have forgoten by now...
Really should pick them up again.

>River asks Achilles to please slaughter Trojans somewhere else, their corpses are blocking the fucking river
>Achilles tells him to fuck off and continues
>River tries to drown Achilles
>Achilles just fucking outruns him

>reading the Lattimore translations
>no Idea how to pronounce anything
>half the fucking names are different from the ones I've heard before
Did I get memed?

Diomedes is the baddest motherfucker in the poem. He fights and wounds not one god but TWO. And what's really great is that the legends of the aftermath of the war indicate he's one of the few kings/fighters who got a legitimately happy ending. He even shows up in the Aeneid briefly.

The part where King Priam comes and begs Achilles for the body of Hector

great part desu
the greeks are something, man

hey guys, did you use some extra book to know and understand the characters, the cities?
i ordered Mythology to read together with Iliad.

the battle on the beach when the greeks have their wall up. And its a free for all shit show. good times.

The interactions between the gods were pretty cool.
>Tetis begging to Zeus so that Achilles doesn't get btfo'd
>When Hera tricks Zeus into fucking so he doesn't bother everyone else afterwards.
>The shield.

the last page, really ties up all the loose ends

Hector's confrontation with Achilles really got me. Even though the same fate befalls Patrocles, I found the way that Hector is tricked into fighting Achilles without even a hope of winning far more tragic. When Hector realises Deiphobus isn't with him and gives his final soliloquy, resolving to die in glory, only to be struck down by a spear he could never see coming, it just seemed like a punch in the gut for such a noble character. Not to mention what Achilles does with his body.

Because The Illiad/Odyssey themselves are primary sources for classical history, its difficult to work out exactly how they were experienced by ancient people, but its very likely they were quite easily accessible. Theyre oral tales in simple language. The problem with any translation, but especially something like Lattimores, is that they are so high-falutin and eloquent it makes the stories quite inaccessible. This is a hard issue to get around for various reasons, but the advice a lot of scholars will give you is just to read the one you find easiest; they were not intended as an erudite, torturous read.

Yep I did not see that necrophilia scene coming:(

>he's one of the few kings/fighters who got a legitimately happy ending.
How? All his people were turned into birds which mentally torture him every time he goes near a river.

I didn't want to make a thread for this so I'll just ask here.

What's the best translation of the Odyssey?

>He even shows up in the Aeneid briefly.
>The Aeneid
>canon

t.urk

>Read the Illiad
>Book mentions Achilles' death 15 times
>Know from history that the war ends with the Trojan Horse
>Hektor finally dies
>Achilles gives Priam 11 days to mourn
>Oh shit boys Trojan Horse and Achilles death on the 12th day
>Priam mourns
>Book ends

the parts described the gnarly kills
like some dude fucking stabbing some dude with his spear off a chariot in his neck like who coulda thunk anicent greeks were so metal

>He fights and wounds not one god but TWO.
and he's a mortal

The part where it ends and I can start reading the Odyssey