For those of you who grew up in a country other than the UK or US, what books or authors did you study in school?

For those of you who grew up in a country other than the UK or US, what books or authors did you study in school?

Swiss here
We studied
"Besuch der alten Dame",
"Die verlorene Ehre der Katherina Blum"
"Der Fall Collini"
"die Panne"
"Draussen vor der Tür" Faust
(Sorry I dont know the english names of the books or if they are tramslated)

*and the Steppenwolf

Sounds to me like you read German lit.

Swede here

pretty much just the Koran but I here that's how it will be in the UK in like 3 years.

Yeah mostly but in my "schoolcareer" i had the read Besuch der alten Dame like four times sooo it evens out

Oh and in french class we read the stranger and monsieur ibrahim and the flowers of the koran and in italian we had to read some short book with like 50 pages(pic related)

I grew up in France: Camus, Voltaire, Balzac, Mautpassant, Diderot, Montesquieu, Rousseau, Sartre, Duras, Gide, Molière, Racine, Corneille, Hugo, etc.

I think you got the idea.

Belgian, we had year in which everyone could only pick from a list of canon works by:
Homer
Chaucer
Bocaccio
Goethe
Dumas
Hugo
Kafka
Tolstoy
Dostoyevksi
Hemmingway
Fitzgerald
Steinbeck

I read Bocaccio and Bulgakov that year.

Sounds awesome

German here we read
>Prinz Friedrich von Homburg - Kleist
>Iphigenie auf Tauris - Goethe
>Buddenbrooks - Thomas Mann
>Kabale und Liebe - Schiller
>Tauben im Gras - Köppe
>Der eingebildete Kranke - Molière
> Die Physiker - Dürrenmatt

All russian classic poetry, Turgenev, Nekrasov, Bunin, Yesenin, Krylov, a LOT of Pushkin, Marshak, Prishvin, Derzhavin, Bely, Block, Mayakovsky, Ahmatova, Marienghov etc. (that's all I remember).
Also Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Chekhov, Gogol, Saltykov-Shedrin, Nabokov, Gorky, Bulgakov, Zamyatin, Dovlatov and Strugatsky brothers

Never heard of most of those authors.

Sounds like a translation heavy curriculum.

For that particular year yeah. Since the theme was: world literature. With a focus on the lit aspect, not just the 'world' if you get what im saying.

Germanfag
In no particular order:
>Die Physiker & Der Besuch der alten Dame - Dürrenmatt
>Effi Briest - Fontane
>Der Sandmann - Hoffmann
>Die Räuber - Schiller
>Nathan der Weise - Lessing
>Die Blechtrommel - Grass
>Iphigenie auf Tauris & Faust - Goethe
>Berlin Alexanderplatz - Döblin
>Schachnovelle - Zweig
>Der gute Mensch von Sezuan - Brecht
>poetry I don't remember, mostly Romaticism and Sturm und Drang
Still find it weird that there was no Hesse and no Kafka. Overall pretty gud though.

the only thing i sort of remember was icelandic stories and poems to be honest

Brazilfag here.

>Clarice Lispector
>Machado de Assis
>Jorge Amado
>Carlos Drummond de Andrade
>Manuel Bandeira
>Guimarães Rosa
>Luís de Camões
>Eça de Queirós
>Fernando Pessoa
>Alváres de Azevedo

>bazilians can read
always surprising tbache

Jorge Amado shouldn't be there. Propaganda is one thing, literature is another.

If we limit ourselves to a number of ten authors, the correct Brazilian literature curriculum should be like this:

Camões
Antônio Vieira
Tomás Antônio Gonzaga
Gonçalves Dias
Machado de Assis
Fernando Pessoa
Carlos Drummond
Manuel Bandeira
Jorge de Lima
Guimarães Rosa

With Eça, you can get some of the taste by reading Machado. In the case of Euclides da Cunha, he's too tough for the kids. As for Alvares de Azevedo, he can't be compared to Gonçalves Dia.

Still, it's a crime to leave out Fernão Lopes, Mariana Alcoforado, Bocage, Garrett, Saramago, and Lobo Antunes. Same for Gregório de Matos, Murilo Mendes, Cecília Meireles, Gerardo Mello Mourão. These should be studied in anthologies. It's absolutely ridiculous that we have such a weak anthology culture here in Brazil. In the US they have probably dozens, if not hundreds of poetry anthologies.

I still haven't seen an accesible and definitive anthology for portuguese language poetry. I don't think it exists. There's a big one in Portugal, but it only covers their own authors and the price is too expensive.

Argie here

Frankenstein - Shelley
Don quijote de la mancha - Cervantes
Final del juego - Cortazar
El eternauta - Oesterheld (comic)
Farenheit 451 - Bradbury

there were at least 30 more, but any of you would know it, because they were under LA literature

Good. Reading translations should be encouraged. In my opinion, every school should give the kids at least five great books in translation, so that they could at least get a taste of what the greatest literature looks like. Homer, Plato, Virgil, Horace, Dante - these five should be read by absolutely anyone who intends to study literature. It doesn't even have to be in full, because you could make a short anthology of the most striking passages in each of those authors and, in the case of Plato, one could simply read some of those very great and very short dialogues, such as the Apology.

Students could certainly profit from reading the different ways in which those authors saw the underworld, for instance, by reading the accounts in the Odyssey, the Aeneid, and the first cantos of the Commedia. One could also get a nice sense of the importance of literary tradition by reading Dante's tribute to Virgil, also in the first cantos.

No Borges?

>Saudi Arabia
>The Holy Quran
that's all

O R I G I N A L
R
I
G
I
N
A
L

to hard for teenagers tho

I grew up in Canada. We read the same things as any average American school with the occasional Canadian essay or novel.

Czechia

Honestly I remember fuck all. Maybe Kundera, Čapek at some point and a load of other writers. Half czech shit, half world shit.

We were never told why we were being taught what we were being taught so I forgot it all. Titles, plots and authors' names. Everything. What an awful way to teach impressionable kids.

Only recently I've been peeking into literature on my own accord. Not czech though.

Victorian here, our students study important historical events such as the holocaust (Jewish), the holocaust (aboriginal), suffrage (women), suffrage (aboriginal) and such relevant and confronting topics such as racism, sexism and xenophobia from such exultant authors as Hannah Kent, Alice Pung and Eli Weasel in such meritous volumes as Growing up Asian in Australia and Night.
I want to commit war crimes against VCAA

Ireland:
Much the same as the UK I guess (Shakespeare, Wordsworth, TS Eliot etc).

Plus a whole bunch of Irish poets (they really are the best): Yeats, Heaney, to name but the best known.

Plus some plays by Brian Friel, Tom Murphy.

Short stories by contemporary or 20th century writers too.

Stuff in Gaelic: ancient epic poems, other misc. poems, both ancient and contemporary. Badly written short stories in modern Irish, that sort of thing.

That's pretty much it as I recall.

Greeks, Romans, French (Song of Roland, Voltaire...) and most of the Italians that you can find in Bloom's Canon, and a few more foreigners (Wuthering Heights...).

I still consider myself immensely ignorant of Anglo and German literature, even of big guys for you like Shakespeare and Goethe.

My priority was to catch up with philosophy, only recently I became equipped to deal with contemporary philosophy.

Australia

primary school:
>The Outsiders
>Tomorrow When the War Began by John Marsden, aussie kids book (several times, in middle school too)

middle school:
>The Rabbits (a picture book collaboration between Shaun Tan and John Marsden about white settlers vs abos pic related)
>Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
>Lord of the Flies
>Of Mice and Men
>some of Shakespeare's sonnets

High school:
>Hamlet and Macbeth
>To Kill a Mockingbard
>The Great Gatsby
>Heart of Darkness
>Pride and Prejudice (loldidntread)
>Secret History of the Kelly Gang by Peter Carey, famous aussie author (loldidntread)
>The Secret River (loldidntread, another aussie book, was about some evil white convict settler killing abos or something)
>Frankenstein (didnt read, regretted it but i was nearing depressive/ocd mental breakdown by that point)

Don't think I'm missing anything. I guess I can't complain too much but there's nothing to write home about either, especially compared to everyone else in the thread.

Germany
>Galileo Galilei (Brecht)
>Das Erdbeben in Chili (Kleist)
>Mario und der Zauberer (Mann) (some abridged version)
>short stories, Nachts schlafen die Ratten doch (Borchert) & Vera sitzt auf dem Balkon (Sibylle Berg), each like four fucking times, I cannot express in words how sick I and everyone else was of those
Those are all the "real" books I can remember honestly. There might've been a Goethe poem here and there when we talked about poetry in German class, but aside from that we actually barely read well-known, established authors. I remember some ""novel"" that was basically an anti binge drinking campaign that was literally written by sixteen-year-olds as some school project. Oh, and we started on "Asphalt Tribe" by the dude who wrote The Wave but that was around the time I dropped out. There might have been more, I didn't really go to school very often.

germany checking in. a lot is probably forgotten already.

Homo Faber
Der Prozess
Besuch der alten dame
Michael kohlhaas
le petit Prince

Haбoкoв в шкoлe?

Poland here

Basically, alongside our local literature like Mickiewicz, Słowacki or Sienkiewicz we read works such as "Crime and Punishment", "The Heart of Darkness", "The plague", "Don Kichote". Our reading list was really versatile as far as I know.

Australia:
We did pretty much nothing related to proper literature, excepting some Shakespeare and a little Australian poetry. I do remember some other classes reading To Kill a Mockingbird and The Hobbit though. Pretty pathetic considering I was in the 'extension' English classes.

>don kichote

French here. In secondary, Kessel, Camus, Vercors.
In high school, all the canon from 15th to 20th centuries, plus the major philosophers from Plato to Husserl in last year.

is homo faber any good

In Soviet Russia, books study YOU.

Italy:

- San Francesco and Marco Polo
- Angiolieri, Cavalcanti, Guinizelli, da Lentini, Pier delle Vigne
- Dante, Petrarca and Boccaccio
- Pulci, Boiardo and Ariosto
- (Sometimes) Pontano and Salernitano
- Lorenzo de'Medici, Machiavelli, Guicciardini, Poliziano
- Tasso, Metastasio and Tassoni
- (Sometimes) Botero and Boccalini
- Parini, Alfieri and Foscolo
- (Sometimes) Beccaria and Verri
- Leopardi, Manzoni, Pascoli and Carducci
- Verga, Pirandello, Zola
- D'Annunzio, Marinetti, Ungaretti,
- Saba, Montale, Quasimodo
- (Sometimes) Primo Levi, Carlo Levi, Fenoglio, Stern, Silone, Morante
- (Rare, very rare) Malaparte and Cassola
- Vittorini, Moravia, Pasolini, De Filippo, Sciascia, Lampedusa.

It is very rare to study authors who have written after 1970-80.

In the "Liceo Scientifico" Italians study the Romans
In the "Liceo Classico" Italians study the GREEKS and the Romans

honestly, I haven't actually read it. I started to enjoy literature after graduating, everything I read in school i detested, because it was part of school and is by now basically forgotten

Filipino

What's infuriating is how Western my literary academic curricula were. For elementary I had to read stuff like Gaiman's Graveyard Book. High school gave me a Shakespeare play each year (Julius Caesar, R&J, Macbeth and Hamlet) along with stuff like Catcher in the Rye, To Kill a Mockingbird, and Edith Hamilton's Mythology.

To be fair we also learned Noli Me Tangere and El Filibusterismo but it's vexing how I get fed Greco-Roman mythology and only recently, of my own volition, have I begun to learn our mythologies.

I mean I like Western lit and I devoured my share of YA books but where are our great writers in our own damn curricula y'know

All are awesome

you had don kichote in school. Where are you from? we only read fragments in elementary school

Finnfag here, these were common must-reads at our school, but I think it varies a bit. Also would'nt know what it is these days.

>Lord of the flies, Of mice and men, To kill a mockingbird, Chronicle of a death foretold, Hemingway's and Kafka's short stories, then one generic book by russian / french / italian author, maybe one mythological book of choice (mine was edda) and something from middle ages or similar (decamerone, canterbury tales)

Voltaire, Baudelaire, Camus, Céline, Molière, Racine, Beaumarchais, Maupassant, Rousseau, Romain Gary, René Barjavel, ...

Oh I'm French btw

>René Barjavel
they teach this crypto-fascist in school, now do they?

Ravage/Ashes Ashes is fantastic!

Vichy-meets-Evola apocalyptic scenario.

I'm Serbian. Here are some of the books we had to read at home for school:
"Rani Jadi" Danilo Kiš
"Kad su cvetale tikve" Dragoslav Mihailović
"The Miser" Moliere
"Don Quixote" Miguel de Cervates
"Antigone" Sophocles
"Romeo and Juliet" Shakespeare
"Anna Karenina" Tolstoy
"Tvrdica" Jovan Sterija Popović
"The Government Inspector" Nikolai Gogol
"Pere Goriot" Honore de Balzac
"Zona Zamfirova" Stevan Sremac
"Uncle Vanya" Anton Chekhov
"Koštana" Borisav Stanković
"Nečistva krv" Borisav Stanković
"Old man and the sea" Hemingway
"Trial" Kafka
"Gospa Nola" Isidora Sekulić
"Na Drini ćuprija" Ivo Andrić
"Seobe" Miloš Crnjanski
"The Stranger" Camus

Off the top of my head those are the books I've read in the first 3 years of high school. Don't exactly know what I'm going to read in the 4th grade but I'm pretty sure theres some Goethe and more Shakespeare.

>those are the books I've read in the first 3 years of high school
>Don't exactly know what I'm going to read in the 4th grade
ubi se

Fuck off brainlet, you wrote 2 words and still managed to fuck up. Learn your own language.

>Only recently I've been peeking into literature on my own accord.
I know that feel. Can only remember a tiny bit about the Icelandic Sagas from High School but that's it.

Learn what language, underage faggot?

Holy pleb.

Wow, no wonder Australians have no appreciation for the arts; our schools read maybe 1-2 Shakespeare plays, about 2 babby tier classics like Lord of the Flies or Animal Farm, and 1-2 Australian books (I read The Secret River).

Wait, Australians go to school?