Has he ever been surpassed as a psychologist and moralist? The only better writer I can think of is Shakespeare

Has he ever been surpassed as a psychologist and moralist? The only better writer I can think of is Shakespeare.

who?

henry james muhfugga

Oh yeah, he's alright, but Herman Melville is better.

Among novelists, maybe Tolstoy and Proust. Otherwise, yes, probably just Shakespeare.

I think it's safe to say he surpassed Shakespeare as a psychologist. The only writer (of fiction) I'm aware of who had a better understanding of psychology than James is Robert Musil.

Hawthorne tbqh

Henry James is such a massive fucking faggot holy shit. Every idea he ever had about the craft of writing was wrong and his shit is so sterile and brittle. Holy shit I fucking hate Henry James and his wannabe euro fetishism and his bald head and his other end of the gloryhole lips and jesus fucking christ what about him isn't banal and boring and childishly misguided?

go to bed william

also he can't fucking grow a beard to save his life, did you see that pathetic shit he tried once?

this

James is the greatest American novelist by a mile.
Can actually write women, puts him ahead of Melville or Twain

This becomes obvious when taking the time to read him, which too few here do. Pity.

Can't write men or women. All of his characters are plastic and shallow

I was tricked into reading Thomas Hardy because I had heard that he was "almost a modernist". I've heard the same thing said about James. Is he another meme?

If you haven't got the chops to appreciate Hardy, then forget about James as he's miles out of your league. Stick to the easy stuff.

>literary realism
There's something terribly sad and banal about that.

I was already wary of him because of his nationality, but thanks for confirming.

>If you haven't got the chops to appreciate Hardy

Are you fucking stupid? What kind of attitude is this to have? Maybe it's not his cup of tea.

Except Hardy is just a poor writer

except youre just a poor reader

Didn't DFW have an undergrad degree in psychology?

t. someone who enjoys reading about moustachio'd villains and dairy maids

Philosophy.

Good Lord, dude. That's completely false. The worst memes are the ignorant ones and Veeky Forums is poorly served with the propogation of THAT and its likes....

>Tess of D"ubervilles