rate mine but no pics:
Homer - The ILiad
Plato's Works vol.1 - H.F. Cary
Sophocles - The Three Theban Plays
Chaucer - The Canterbury Tales

scale of 1-100

like, a 7

Rating depends on the translations.

Should have gotten the Hackett Plato if you're not buying individual dialogues.

those 4 books came out to $2.00
only had that vol.1 in the donation section at my local library

Your Plato translation is probably not the best. but good otherwise.

Do not listen to that user. It is pretty hilarious, but it isn't as explicitly obscene as people make it out to be.

should i read the savage detectives by bolaƱo or petersburg by bely next?

>Huntington

Why exactly are you reading Descartes? I'm genuinely curious. I spent my last 2 years in university learning about how wrong he was in my philosophy courses, and I don't think I could slog through his work just to familiarize myself with his arguments, other than the infamous one.

Jesus Christ is this what they teach in philosophy? How can you possibly know he was wrong if you've never read anything he wrote? Are you unwilling to question what your teachers taught you?

>implying you will ever read a single paragraph contained in those """""""books"""""""

To be fair, my university didn't have a philosophy major up until now, and I've already graduated, so they don't have a robust department yet. I get your criticism, but the main assumption that they attacked and undermined was, of course, "cogito ergo sum," the idea that we're merely rational animals who can subjectively apprehend the objective world and become masters of nature. Hasn't history proved this to be patently false? Not only is it utterly reductive, but it's an anathema to any kind of phenomenological understanding of being. It was my Heidegger course where we questioned this assumption the most.

I at some point should probably read him; it's not like I gobble up everything my professors have said, rather, since this assumption lies at the heart of Western metaphysics, it feels liberating to abandon this idea for different ways of thinking about being.

What can you tell me about Against the Day? Where does it stand in relation to his other works? Where would you rank it in difficulty & and where would you rank it in his works?

Why does he wear the mask?

Picked these up at a second hand store today.

you know that conclusions are a dime a dozen, but the arguments are what make a philosopher? Few philosophers will just randomly come to conclusions and move forward -- even Wittgenstein in Tractatus, while stating "self evident" information, essentially proved (whether or not it has held up historically) his system by stating its rules and limitations.

It becomes more and more important to read for the arguments as you move forward to say, Kant, who is painstaking in his approach

It's the most accessible of the tomes, but obviously it's also the longest. It might be my favorite overall, even though I know it's not the best in a technical sense. It's hilarious and features some of his best characters, on my opinion. There are some dense parts, but it's mostly a quick read, I read it in about 2 weeks and still think about it regularly.

These threads are blatant pseudo intellectual circle jerks

You Australian?

No shit, Sherlock.

Stop participating in pseudo intellectual circle jerks

Burn the Locke, comrade

Nice, user. Should be comfy reading (even Blood Meridian which is quite disturbing has some rather relaxing passages).

do people who frequent these threads actually read and understand books?

It's very good, just read it.