I just moved into my first place away from family and i need to learn some easy food to make and keep myself fed...

I just moved into my first place away from family and i need to learn some easy food to make and keep myself fed through the week. What're some of y'alls favorite cheap, comfy meals?

Other urls found in this thread:

allrecipes.com/recipe/228293/curry-stand-chicken-tikka-masala-sauce/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Make hotpockets

Good answer but i feel like those arent actually cheaper than cooking.

>pick a meat
>pick a vegetable
>pick a starch
>cook them all
>put on plate

It really is that easy.
For example last night I had pan fried pork chop, rice pilaf and green beans. The night before that I had liver and onions with steamed kale and roasted potato wedges.

look up the brothers green on youtube and watch their early vids. its all geared towards students not knowing but leaening to cook, how to stock a pantry and shoping on a budget.

the channek is kinda shitty now but def check their OLDER vids.

cheers and have fun

pic kinda related some quick nachos i made for breakfast lol

Congrats OP. Here's a few that came to mind.

Rice, cream of chicken souo, cream of mushroom soup, mixed frozen veg, cut up cooked chicken breast, milk. Mix together and bake.

Egg noodles, cream of mushroom soup, chunk white tuna fish, peas, milk, bread crumbs. Mix everything together except bread crumbs. Top with bread crumbs and bake.

Rice, eggs, pineapple, frozen stir fry mix, peanuts or cashews, curry or turmeric, soy sauce. Cook rice, Sautee up frozen veg and pineapple, add scrambled egg, add soy and spices, also nuts, fry up with rice.

Battered fish tenders, coleslaw, guacamole, tortillas, sour cream or crema, boxed rice & beans like zatarains. Bake fish tenders, put on tortillas, top with guacamole, coleslaw, and crema. Serve with rice and beans.

Also try your hand at ground beef chili, ziti or lasagna, and meatloaf. Plain potato flakes will be your friend.

cook some ground beef in a pan for like 10 minutes stirring until it's browned and cooked all the way, while boiling pasta, then drain the pasta and throw it in the pan and mix it all up with your favorite red sauce :D
These other guys will teach you how to make really good shit but in case you really don't know, this is an easy option too!

and for the live of god. strain the ground meat before adding sauce. youll thank me later

i like to make burritos

buy cheap meat/chicken/pork/fish/etc mash it up, add minced onion, salt, pepper, red pepper, sriracha, pretty much any spice you might want and roll it in a tortilla

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that. Get rid of that grease. Anyways meat sauce with pasta is the most basic of basics, don't forget it's always an option.

>with your favorite red sauce
Since we're on Veeky Forums, and this is about budget cooking, making red sauce is really easy and will come out much better and cost less.

Not _really_ worth it unless you care a lot about red sauce, because you're going to fuck with the recipe a lot until you get it how you want it, but it's a good skill to have. Only real pro-tip I have is to cook the tomato paste pretty hard before you start, to the point where it just starts to stick. This will reduce the acidity a lot and bring out the flavor. This way you can make good red sauce even with canned tomato paste.

Is that really all cheaper than a $0.99 jar of prego?

By volume? Sure, it depends on what you put in it thought. I would bet I spend a bit more depending on what I want to make, but a basic red sauce is definitely cheaper.

~1lb ground beef
~1 cup of diced white onion, and green & red bell pepper
~1.5tbsp of salt
~1.5tbsp black pepper
~1tbsp parsley
~.5tbsp oregano
~1.3tbsp basil
~3/4tbsp onion powder
~3/4tbsp garlic powder
~1.5tbsp creole seasoning
~3 cups of rice
~6 cups water

Put all ingredients except rice and water into a large skillet.
Boil rice and water until cooked.
Brown the beef to desired look. I like mine a bit done, personally.
Pour the cooked rice in the beef, without draining the fat.

And there you go. Cajun dirty rice.

over 9000 hrs in ms paint

Poverty tier, but here you go
>make rice
>put it in a bowl
>crack an egg into a different bowl
>whisk it with some soy sauce
>pour over rice

It's actually a solid meal, I had some a while ago. Just don't use too much soy sauce, probably under a tablespoon.

~1lb of dry red kidney or great white northern beans
~big ass pot of water, has to hold about 11 cups
~1 link of cooked andouille or smoked sausage, can be spicy if you wish
~2 cups of the trinity (diced white onion, green bell pepper, and red bell pepper), or just 1 diced large white onion if super poor
~onion powder
~garlic powdee
~creole seasoning
~salt
~black pepper
~basil
~2 cups dry rice
~4 cups water

Do the beans first, it takes 8 hours to make. Great for the weekend, or to make Sunday for leftovers all week.

1. Put beans in pot of water
2. Soak without heat for 1hr
3. Boil for 1hr
3. Add in sausage and vegetable(s)
4. With seasonings, cover the entire top of the water. I never measure. EXCEPT SALT. I put in about 3tbsp of salt.
5. Boil on med high heat for about 6 hours
6. Make rice like normal

And I don't mix in the rice and beans (like dirty rice) because it tastes better with fresh rice. Also, it isn't a good ratio and the rice will be soggy.

Cajun food is meant to feed a lot of people real cheap and still taste great. I left out a few ingredients because meat is expensive. Otherwise, I'd put in hamhocks, chicken legs, and bacon.

Btw, you want to watch the water levels. You want to make sure the water doesn't get too low. But you want the consistency to not be super watery

Never

why

When your make a sauce with ground meat in it and you don't remove the grease it gives it a greasy, nasty fucking texture and taste.

On rare occasions I forget to remove the grease and find out when I pull my left over sauce from the fridge. In its gelatin solidified state.

You don't need to remove all the grease just pur it into a strainer, give it a few shakes and throw back into the pan. The cheap ground pork I get is quite fatty, if your using a leaner meat you wont have to worry as much. But I like to use fatty meat so it cooks and browns in its own fat. Next level flavor son.

cheers

This curry:
allrecipes.com/recipe/228293/curry-stand-chicken-tikka-masala-sauce/
I double the recipe and it still costs maybe $10 total, enough to feed my fat self and two fat housemates for two days. Doesn't require any weird cookware, nor exotic ingredients (you don't even have to use ghee if you don't want to, I've substituted plain butter for ghee on multiple occasions and had it turn out mostly the same)
It is a minimal effort recipe, and will thoroughly impress anybody you make it for.