Was he a medieval writer or Renaissance writer? I'm getting conflicting answers, and I don't understand history

Was he a medieval writer or Renaissance writer? I'm getting conflicting answers, and I don't understand history.

It depends upon when you consider the end of the Medieval period and the beginning of the Renaissance to be, and that's all.

Medieval.

Why don't they just standardize the dates of these periods like they have for earlier periods, like the Jurassic Period?

Because such large, broad human historical categories are fuzzy and complex and cannot accurately be reduced and crystallized into simple date ranges, or if you insist on doing this, then you are actually guilty of the problem of "reductionism", which is where you simplify things away just because you want to keep things simple, at the expense of the truth. And I say this as a person who normally is unconcerned about "reductionism" and who normally views the use of that epithet with skepticism that it is being used by leftists to artfully dismiss a line of analysis which actually is true without engaging the content of its ideas.

Something like the dinosaur days can popularly be represented as such-and-such long-irrelevant date range without offending human sensibilities. And if we find new evidence to revise, fine. Anything to do with human history is naturally a touchier subject because people actually care about such things.

Medieval, helping to bring on the renaissance.

In general, Dante's age (the 13th/14th c) do seem to be at the crux of what we generally understand as "the late medival" period, going into something like "the early renaissance" days. His situation in Italy helps the general association with the Renaissance, which is closely bound up with Italy: da Vinci, Michelangelo, Cardano, Machiavelli, and so on and so forth.

Giotto's own naive paintings are commonly understood as "early Renaissance". Giotto was an exact contemporary of Dante's, although living an extra 15 years or so.

An earlier mathematical figure, Fibonacci, is a bit older than these two, and he and his best known work, just a few decades before, are called "late-middle-age" stuff.

This is really the fuzzy borderline between the two historical categories, this c. 1200AD period.

fucking anglos

Definitely medieval. Even Hans Baron thought he was a medieval thinker, and subsequent scholars pushed Baron's Renaissance "episteme" even further forward, leaving Dante even more medieval.

He thinks Caesar was a good king, so he's not a republican. His support of the Ghibelline anti-papal faction is the result of traditional medieval rivalries ousting the Ghibelline Whites from Florence, and hinges on the Emperor being a Caesar-like "good king." His ethics are completely Christian and feudal, renouncing the material world as basically meaningless and irredeemably evil, to retreat inward and cultivate one's relationship with virtue and God, not any kind of civic duty.

If Petrarch was still medieval, then Dante certainly was.

The few times I have looked at Dante in university it has always been taught in this way. The "page flip" between late Medieval and early Renaissance writing and thought was how one of my professors put it. Socio-politically/philosophically it falls short of some of the common Renaissance themes, while other elements can be arguably viewed as precursors to ideas that became popular during the renaissance.

I remember analyzing one of the passages of Inferno because it flipped between humanistic and scholastic sentiment, almost as if both "newer" (to the west) and classic ideas were being weighed up even though Dante was writing during the height of High Scholasticism.

Renaissance obviously. Chaucer was a medieval writer, for comparison.

>There is no such thing as stupid questi...

Go make me a taco wetback

He was a pre-Renaissance writer and a founding figure for the Renaissance, but at the same time he is the end point of the whole Middle Age. The Divine Comedy is a summa of the Middle Age's knowledge (+ Roman culture).

Answer coming from an Italian

He had a foot in each period, but he leaned medieval.

All the greatest figures of human culture are figures straddling the border between two different periods.

Jesus
Ceasar
Virgil
Dante
Michelangelo
Caravaggio
Kant
Napoleone
David
Cézanne
Joyce
Joy Division

Late medieval, but medieval nonetheless.

Its not that they simply straddle the line, they're the ones who pull them together

Yes, indeed

This

mediëval.

mideval

Straddling the line means pulling the two sides together, at least in romance languages.

Fuck off you smelly cheese eater, we are speaking english here.

Eat my shit, lame disgusting nigger

t. ignorant monkey poopoo peepee asshole monolingual shit

good posts

where is shakespeare

Are we straddling the border?

Shakespeare is bread only for retarded angloids who can't understand poetry

No

But the greatest writer in human history is currently alive in our era.

He forgot to add Trump to the list

>Kastanos trying to insult a white man
Ask me nicely and ill be the bull for your wife, Eurocucks.

who

Fuck off, his manic ramblings will be forgotten in 150 years

I'm pretty sure you meant "Ask me nicely to bull my wife and I'll consent, 'cause I'm an obese twink burger who can't even get the boner"

>American
>white
Kekaroooo! Next meme?

Find him yourself. It took me so long to lay my eyes on the works of the Herman Melville of our time.

hint: he works as a custodian

@dril
?

what the hell are you talking about

nigga you serious?

No.