Hey guys, this might seem silly asking on Veeky Forums and all, but. Where does one aquire japanese food?

Hey guys, this might seem silly asking on Veeky Forums and all, but. Where does one aquire japanese food?

I have a friend whos japanese and super into anime and all that, and he's invited me over for dinner next week, but I've never had anything japanese outside a cup of instant noodles on a school field trip like 20 years ago.

So, I figure I should at least prepare and get a feel for the kind of cuisine, but I have no idea where to start. Any good import stores or restraunts you know of?

Grocery store international aisles usually have a few Japanese things.

look for asian grocery stores near your area. most of them carry japanese items

Mine only seems to lump asian all together. I don't think Teryaki is japanese so much as east asia, and All they usually have is more instant noodle cups, which to my understanding, are not actual japanese cuisine.

>OMG MY FRIEND IS FROM ANIMELAND IM SO STOKED TO GO TO HIS HOUSE HOW DO I EAT HIS FOOD???

Stop embarrassing yourself, you're an adult.

I was raised to always try things and to explore other cultural venues. It's only right I do my research and understand his culture before going over for a formal event.

You don't need to "get a feel for it", it's food, you just eat it you pretentious cunt

So you're saying instead I should go to a restraunt and order something I've never eaten instead of doing my research and at least getting an idea of what I like, and what would be better to order? That seems like poor planning.

He's not chinese, you don't have to worry about that.
In china, they have autistic social norms and bizarre table manners, violating any of which is extremely rude, such as NOT helping yourself to seconds when asked, and complementing the chef when they claim their cooking wasn't very good.

>such as NOT helping yourself to seconds when asked
I'm sure that's just common courtesy in a lot of places. My grandma keeps piling on the food and i literally can't say no.

I know it's a meme at this point but you sound like some flyover putting on airs for this board. you're well into your 30s according to your earlier post and never tried ANY japanese food!? "raised to try new things" my ass. go back to chugging cincinatti chilli or whatever other slop you call food.

Asian market. They're great.

>So you're saying instead I should go to a restraunt

Nigger he invited you over to his house, not fucking Jiro's

>Any good import stores or restaurants you know of?
You know it would be easier to answer this if you would tell us where the fuck you live.

Teriyaki is Japanese. The things labeled """teriyaki""" here have nothing to do with it, though.

It does not matter whether it is Japanese.
Even Japanese people do not really understand things in Western Europe.
I think that it would be better for Western Europe to create unique Washoku in the new West Europe, as Japanese people created their own Youshoku from Western cuisine, as if they produced ramen from china.

I'm Italian, I've never tried any eat culture food because its not a common thing around here.

I don't recall ever saying I was invited to his house. I said invited over to dinner at a formal event. It's not just him, its a business event.

>its a jap business event

Make sure you're prepared to drink like a fish and don't forget your name cards.

Sorry, Sicily.

I figured as much. The place we're going to is called Okage

Instant noodles may not be traditional Japanese cuisine, but's as quintessentially Japanese as McDonalds is American. Those salarymen got to eat while they stay until 9pm looking busy at work

What the fuck are you saying

You can simply ask him about cultural nuances with Japanese food.

You should be able to make butter mochi from typical grocery store ingredients.

If you can find or make fried tofu skin, I recommend Inari-zushi. The sauce is essential though, easy to make. It's probably my favorite thing from that country.

Asian markets. If you live in a big enough city it's bound to have an asian district.

Isn't one of them that you're supposed to loudly slurp when drinking the last of soup?

You're not going to get to order anything unless you're in your 50s. Sit back and learn to intersperse a bite of the things you hate with three of those you like and five or ten chugs.

What? None of your post made any sense. chug what?

Oh hahahaha yeah I forgot you'd actually never been to one of these. If it's an actual Japanese-style business dinner:
Oldest/most senior person at the table orders all the food. He may take a voice vote or notice "x looks tasty" or remember your favorites from bagged lunches. He won't speak your language for the first two and doesn't work with you for the third, so you're kinda fucked.
The beer will flow copiously. It will almost invariably be a mediocre session lager, think Stella with a cleaner aftertaste. (The exception is Orion, which upgrades from "mediocre" to "decent", but Orion's international distro is severely lacking and a logistical clusterfuck that tends to make it go off before it arrives.) If there are women at your table, they will likely insist on pouring for you, even if you are a pimple-faced IT intern and they are a fortysomething VP of marketing or sales. Pace yourself slightly faster than your table-mates, the stereotype is that big-noses have a high tolerance. Drink more heavily through courses you don't like, not like pounding 'em down but be visibly doing something rather than sitting there like an awkward lump.
If you get told to eat something, eat it. If you absolutely can't go "nice prank bro" mode.
Save room and sobriety for round two at the bar after dinner.
Install Line on your phone, if you make any new friends they will likely want to add you and likely lose interest/topic will change if they have to sit through an app download/install/configure.

I think you're grossly mis-understanding the situation here.. A. I don't drink. B. They're japanese but they're local. They don't only speak japanese. Theres no language barrier here.

If you don't drink you are going to have a miserable time, language barrier or no, if the event matches your description. At best you can try your hardest to do what your country does at such events and play it off as "oh I didn't know you'd all be Japanese".

1. Start drinking. You need to show up drunk
2. Ask your friend to translate anything his family says, even if it's English
3. When you talk to his family, pull your eyes back at the edges and speak loudly and slowly

Not doing these things is considered very disrespectful

Then you can guarantee failure in terms of respect by the asian men. If you can't drink, you will be viewed as an absolute womanish fag and they will not trust you in business. Don't waste your time and call in sick that day. If you show up and don't drink, you'll be doing yourself and your company more harm than good.

"Never trust a man who doesn't drink."

Japan

If you can plead cirrhosis or something, it often works. We're familiar with immediate health reasons.
But teetotal otherwise screams either "massive buzzkill pussy" in a culture where your coworkers are your circle of friends, "this dude is a really shitty individual the second he can't keep up his facade", or "religious - 90% likely secretly thinks we're inhuman demonspawn who will burn in fire".

Wow, you seriously have a bleak look on life. Just reading that made me physically ill. I don't drink because I don't like alcohol plain and simple. Take your projections and go get some sun dude. Negativity like that shouldn't even be legal.

not him but he is right, it is a big social faux pas not to drink in a japanese business gathering

sorry. I was drunk last night and I do not remember posting.

Shit thread and pretty sure OP is full on gay.