What are some good writing exercises?

What are some good writing exercises?

15000 charactes a week

Of just random words?

depends entirely on what you are trying to write.

>measuring characters

hmm.
minimizing distractions.
set your goals.
finding inspiration.
don't fear writing something that isn't perfect
persistence
outside views

img not related
hard work

>hmm.

Was it autism?

Of things you aren't embarassed of, without ragequitting in media res. That's the writing exercise.

>yfw

prompts
journaling
writing descriptions of people you meet or objects you see

Yes, measuring characters

How many words does that average out to?

Depends on how sophisticated your vocabulary is.

Take a shitty book and rewrite a better version.

Write a fanfic of a great book from a different characters perspective. Or an object. Write about The Shining from the perspective of a spider watching all that bullshit.

Do a pushup after every sentence constructed.

Gene Wolfe and Thomas Jefferson both endorse this method; memorize a short piece of writing by somebody you admire, and then rewrite it from memory without looking at the original. When you're done look at what you wrote compared to the original. Now you can directly contrast your own style with that of somebody you admire. Look at how they make a point and look at how you do it.

i thought that was benjamin franklin

Probably was, I didn't look it up, just remembered it was Wolfe and some old timey Freedom man.

Robert Louis Stevenson did this too. Jack London would also copy out Rudyard Kipling's prose for hours and days on end.

My advice: sit up straight.

What's the best way to avoid fucking your posture when sitting at a desk all day?

The idea isn't to copy prose, it's to understand your own. Not saying that's what you were getting at, but it's an important point to make.

Idk. I was raised to sit up straight. I also sleep on the floor. Being a hunched old man with a wispy beard is pretty Veeky Forums tho. I wouldn't worry.

>sleep on the floor
bogpill me on floor sleeping, is it a meme or good for you? I never feel comfortable in bed but I'm a gangly autist who has never known physical ease in his entire life so I figured it was just that.

Possibly a meme, but I feel like man was built to sleep on the ground. I also don't own a mattress so that is a large factor. I wake up with a stiff prick and a flexible back and that's all I ask for.

About 1700
Average English word is around 9 letters

Wait, you sleep right on the floorboards without even a mattress in between? That sounds like it'd make you stiff and achey, not the opposite.

Thank you.

That doesn't seem like very much for a week of writing.

Stevenson also advocated doing this with paragraphs you think are especially well written.
It's a good exercise, really makes you look at writing more in-depth. Fuck Dostoevsky and all his commas, tho.