How much MSG are there in the typical chinese takeaway? and is it bad for you if you eat it often?

How much MSG are there in the typical chinese takeaway? and is it bad for you if you eat it often?

Other urls found in this thread:

fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-msg-got-a-bad-rap-flawed-science-and-xenophobia/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2802046/
sciencealert.com/80-of-the-data-in-chinese-clinical-trial-is-fabricated
mobile.the-scientist.com/article/48577/the-past-and-present-of-research-integrity-in-china
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S018844091400263X
imrfjournals.in/pdf/MATHS/LSIRJ-NEW-JOURNALS/LSIRJ-32/25.pdf
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0928468016300220
journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0960327115572706
academic.oup.com/jnen/article-abstract/31/3/464/2612663
science.sciencemag.org/content/166/3903/386
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

MSG isn't bad for you. Google it.

You need to watch out for salt, not MSG. MSG is considered harmless.

I would be more concerned about all the oil.

MSG is delicious I put it in every meel I make even the chichen egq

msg still has some sodium tho, but just a small amount of MSG can replace a lot of salt, so it's not really that bad.

just drink water you dumb americans
I drink 1 litre of water every 2 hours except when sleeping

>I liter every 2 hours
Only eurobeaners would believe this.

I have two Nalgene (made in USA, BPA free bottles) that I keep in the fridge.
I alternate between the two of them and drink it down in one gulp.

Your average Chinese takeout place proudly advertises itself as MSG free and they've done so since the 80s

sad.

Sodium isn't salt, it's half of what is salt but not actually salt.

>people don't use MSG anymore because some shitty soccer moms believe the "MSG is cancer" meme.
fug

explains why their food doesn't taste as good these days

Also only serves white meat chicken

Well, it's a sure signpost of a shit restaurant if they're using msg. If a restaurant is using msg, chinese, american or whatever, you can be certain you have a lazyass manager/owner who lets his cooks be lazyass fucks. They get away with dumping petroleum derived "flavor enhancers" because "chef" jean pierre or ping pang pong was too busy snorting the drug du jour outside the backdoor to bd concerned about quality. Don't grasp crutches that make you a worse cook.

lel

fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-msg-got-a-bad-rap-flawed-science-and-xenophobia/

1/3 sodium as salt so it's better

MSG literally kills brain cells
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2802046/
>Although the blood brain barrier (BBB) has low permeability to MSG, the presence of high affinity glutamate transporters located at the BBB capillary luminal membrane could facilitate the uptake of MSG into the brain. Assuming 10% of the blood concentration can be reached in the cerebral spinal fluid, it would yield ∼5 µM MSG in the brain which is above the threshold concentration of MSG for causing neuronal injury in our studies.

Keep eating your good goy sprinkles.

>hehehee good goy, if you don't eat our IQ lowering poison, you're a bad racist goy heheehehe

and meats causes cancer

Salt isn’t bad for you, unless you have a heart condition.

Sugar is the true killer of men.

Since the 1950s, sugar has been used in lieu of salt as a preservative, and sugar has been more available through candy and soda.

The trend of sugar in average American diet has increased linearly with American obesity rates.

Stop eating sugar

anything you eat can kill you

>Sugar is the true killer of men.
Wrong. People need sugar to survive, especially your brain. Your body creates sugar by breaking down the starches you eat. It also makes sugar from fats as necessary. Sugar is the one thing human bodies cannot live without.

Overeating and too many kcals causes obesity. Blaming one type of food is typical dumb fattie logic.

No natural, traditional food can kill brain cells the way MSG can. If you even skimmed that article and continue eating MSG, there's no hope for you. MSG has already done its damage.

>Your body creates sugar by breaking down the starches you eat.
Right, which is why you don't need extra sugar from things like candy and soda.

If I ate 1500 kcals worth of candy and soda, I wouldn't gain fat. If I did that in addition to other food, then yes, but the same weight gain would happen when I eat 3000 kcals of oranges and broccoli.

Building 10% MSG concentration in the spinal column by eating Chinese food just isn't possible. Go away.

This might be the worst point anyone has ever made on this board

>a small amount of MSG can replace a lot of salt
In the first place, MSG doesn't do the same thing that salt does. They aren't interchangeable.

MSG is highly present in Chinese and Japanese food.
Man, the entire population of China and Japan must be retarded and we just don't know it!

Sodium chloride is salt.
Sodium alone is an explosive metal.

less sodium than salt, and glutamate is a very good amino acid used in over 90 % of human brain synapses.

an explosive metal you say? You mean it reacts vigorously in water, and somewhat in air? most metals can be made to "explode" or react violently under certain conditions with other chemicals.

I say this as I'm about to liberally rub my steak in salt and not msg. Both are flavor enhancers, but in different ways.

add some msg to the salt for extra flavor

nah, not on a steak, salt brings out natural flavours in the right amount, msg adds a different flavor, I want to taste the meat.

About tree fiddy

>I drink eight litres of water a day
Enjoy dying of hyponatremia retard

I see it get made every time sugar comes up, you don't see me complaining.

Not really but too much of it will give you shits the next day

Good grief you are dumb and shouldn't post

everytime i eat MSG, i get a killer headache and my legs feel like they're on fire

You are a faggy placebo dork.
I bet if you ate MSG without knowing it you'd be fine. Better yet I bet you don't realize how much food naturally has MSG in it.

then stop standing in fire

It's probably not the compound MSG, but the byproducts of the industrial manufacturing process causing it. Just use ingredients that have natural and pure MSG in them.

>wow if I IV 5kg of MSG there is a potential for glutamate excitotoxicity

It's not bad for you user. Research it.

Stop drinking coke and start drinking water you fat dehydrated fuck.

Coke is 90% water, diet Coke is 99% water

I'm pretty sure MSG is only bad if you're allergic, much like with gluten

>If I ate 1500 kcals worth of candy and soda, I wouldn't gain fat
>Nutritional content doesnt matter, your body only processes things based on raw kcal value
If you ate a BLT and an entire stick of butter every day you would get incredibly fat, because your body would be gaining a gigantic excess of fats to store.

Go for a run fatass

>BLT = ~400 calories
>Stick of butter = 800 calories
You would end up losing weight pretty rapidly on that diet.

Dietary fat doesn't just automatically get stored as body fat. Your body converts that dietary fat to energy, and any excess food consumed beyond your energy requirements is stored as body fat.

By your logic, you could eat 8,000 kcal of carbs a day and still not get fat, because you're not eating any fat!

I'm American and I drink on average 1 liter of water every 2 hours the entire time I'm awake. I have ever since I was in the Army and deployed a bunch and had to then from the heat over seas. I fill my one liter bottle up all day at customers homes with their tap water while at work. At home it's better because it's well water and pure and clean. It's not uncommon for people to drink way above the daily recommendation of water.

youre gonna get fat off all that water

I know this is joking but I often wonder if it does have any negative side effects drinking that much but I can't stop it because I always feel thirsty and I only drink water.

I used to deliver food from restaurants including a few Chinese places. A popular restaurant downtown, when I went in the kitchen, I saw one of those huge white buckets (like 55 gallon maybe?) with "MSG" in big letters on it. No wonder it was so popular.

MSG is salt you fucking retard

Drinking water is really good for you. The negative side effect is having to go to the bathroom a lot, but if you piss frequently that mostly just means your body gets a chance to get rid of excess chemicals and toxins more quickly, so they take less of a toll on you. Being well-hydrated is good for you in all sorts of other ways of course. You will probably age more gracefully than the average person.

You aren't drinking so much water that you are messing up the salinity of your body or anything like that, so you have nothing to worry about.

god damn it

Yes it have. Do everything in moderation. Drinking copious amount of water means your kidney have to work overtime because those excessive water have to go through them before being discharged. You're damaging your kidneys.

their job is to filter shit out, water isn't like some poisonous sludge they have to work hard at, it's easy work. Is there any proof that your kidneys are damaged from drinking a few liters of water per day?

It's probably actually easier on your kidneys because all the toxic shit they have to filter is less concentrated. I could ask my friend who is a doctor but I don't really want to bother him with such an obvious question. Everyone knows water is good for you.

>Do everything in moderation
What about moderation itself? Should that be done in moderation?

Not what I said at all, dipshit.
If you ate 1200kcal of pure fat you would get fat.
If you ate 1200kcal of carbs you would probably just maintain.
Your body processes and handles different nutrients differently, it inherently wants to burn and then store fat, and when you give it a giant fucking slab of fat all at once it tends to store it first.

>Scientific "facts" I just made up
So you think the body says "oh this is fat we better store it as fat because the English use the word fat for two different things"?

>If you ate 1200kcal of pure fat you would get fat.
>If you ate 1200kcal of carbs you would probably just maintain.
Wrong as fuck. This isn't nutrition. This is thermodynamics. If someone needs 2000kcal to maintain and they eat 1200kcal of butter, where would they get the energy to somehow gain fat?

>My body is a dumb pipe!
You're retarded.

See above.
Your body is capable of distinguishing between different nutrients and using them appropriately, how the fuck do you think keto even works?

If you read the context of that quote in the article, you'd see that the threshold is met by eating 3g of MSG, which also happens to be the threshold where people start reporting headaches.

i dont think you know how keto works

You are not alone. All these people reporting the same effect can't be overlooked. It is proven that this headache is from your central nervous system dealing with the brain damage it causes. It is known that ginger can counteract the MSG-induced brain damage and headaches, which the Chinks figured out by trial and error before knowing the science behind it.

>Your body is capable of distinguishing between different nutrients and using them appropriately
Let's say you only eat 1200kcal of X (carbs, fats, or protein) and your body converts it directly into fat. You're still alive, so your body needs energy the rest of the day. So it will start breaking down fat, 2000kcal worth of it let's say, throughout the day. No matter what pathway you think the food goes through, you HAVE to use a certain amount of energy. At the end of the day, you will lose weight if you consume less energy than you use. There simply is no possible way for you to keep staying alive if you're not using energy from your body stores (fat or muscle). It doesn't matter what type of energy you eat.

What the fuck, that is absolutely retarded. People who went on the Atkins diet actually lost weight, even if it's fucked up and unhealthy to eat that much fat and red meat.

>There simply is no possible way for you to keep staying alive if you're not using energy from your body stores (fat or muscle).
No, that's completely wrong. Most of the time your body is getting its energy directly from glycogen and sugars in the blood, neither burning muscle nor fat. That is highly inefficient, it's only something your body would do when the blood sugar becomes too low to function normally or when you are using energy faster than your normal digestion can can resupply the blood sugar (i.e. if you are exerting yourself).

After several days of eating well below maintenance, glycogen will be minimal and exhausted quickly. Then fat/muscle will be burnt. This is how diets work.

Yes, exactly. Which is why eating a fattier diet won't make you get fat compared to another diet with an equal amount of kcal. To lose weight you have to reduce your caloric input. If you switched to an all-carb diet you would not lose weight unless you were at a caloric deficit.

>even if it's fucked up and unhealthy to eat that much fat and red meat.

Why?

The best Chinese places with a secret authentic Chinese menu use MSG. It is a common ingredient in their dishes and occurs naturally in many foods and ingredients
>a rat eating 3g MSG is the same as a human eating 3g.
They also directly applied the substance to the neuron, which isn't how digestion works. You could pour cola onto a nerve cell and it will dissolve, doesn't mean when you take a sip of cola it literally dissolves your brain cells in the same way.

I really don't know why they ran the test in this way. Notice they completely abandoned the topic they themselves brought up about it not effecting Chinese. Likely because the experiment was ran in China, who's had a bad string of luck with science legitimacy lately, especially with clinical trials
sciencealert.com/80-of-the-data-in-chinese-clinical-trial-is-fabricated
mobile.the-scientist.com/article/48577/the-past-and-present-of-research-integrity-in-china

I cannot find any other article that supports this one you shared.
Celiacs is not an allergy, it is an autoimmune disorder.

Kinda like how all bourbon is whiskey, but not all whiskey is bourbon.
It is this. People who are getting headaches would get the same result with salt. Every person I see complaining about MSG headaches is overweight, or a person prone to hypochondria. What do these people all do when eating their Chinese? Drench the entire fucking meal with MORE soy sauce. With a Diet Coke to go with it.

Also too much water does lead to to kidney damage. When your kidneys can't excrete the excess water, the sodium content of your blood is diluted (hyponatremia) — which can be life-threatening.

Chinese restaurants are not MSG free, even if they state they are. They're just not adding it directly into the food themselves, but they're still adding it indirectly through premade sauces/condiments that contain MSG.

>They also directly applied the substance to the neuron, which isn't how digestion works. Wrong again. I guess I have to paste the whole context:
>Since the report of “Chinese Restaurant Syndrome” in 1968, various studies have confirmed the link between MSG intake and its side effects including headaches [4, 5]. In those studies, an oral dose of MSG at 3g or higher reproduced restaurant syndrome within 30 min [5]. A direct intravenous dose of 50 mg also produced similar symptoms. Although the MSG concentration in the blood is difficult to predict with oral doses of MSG, a direct intravenous injection of 50 mg MSG is expected to yield a blood concentration of 53 µM (based on the total blood volume of 5 litters). Although the blood brain barrier (BBB) has low permeability to MSG, the presence of high affinity glutamate transporters located at the BBB capillary luminal membrane could facilitate the uptake of MSG into the brain. Assuming 10% of the blood concentration can be reached in the cerebral spinal fluid, it would yield ∼5 µM MSG in the brain which is above the threshold concentration of MSG for causing neuronal injury in our studies. Thus, the concentrations of MSG used in our studies were clinically relevant. Our finding that neuronal swelling takes place at ∼30 min after MSG treatment is also consistent with the time course of MSG-induced headache in clinical studies.

? grams oral -> 50 mg intravenous > .053 mg blood concentration -> .005 mg in cerebrospinal fluid, which is above the threshold for brain damage

Let's assume conservatively that only 10% of ingested MSG makes it to your bloodstream. I'm sure it's more since it's an amino acid, but let's go with that. 500mg of MSG is enough to trigger this brain damage.

>I cannot find any other article that supports this one you shared.
You need to take off those "I know better" goggles:
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S018844091400263X
imrfjournals.in/pdf/MATHS/LSIRJ-NEW-JOURNALS/LSIRJ-32/25.pdf
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0928468016300220
journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0960327115572706
academic.oup.com/jnen/article-abstract/31/3/464/2612663
science.sciencemag.org/content/166/3903/386

MSG is just as dangerous as people thought 40 years ago. People who continue to advocate for MSG seem to be reddit types who pride themselves on their "rationality" and knowing "common misconception" trivia unlike the dumb apes who go to church and vote for Trump.

>anyone who doesn't agree with modern scientific consensus is a fascist

amen, flat earthers unite!

dat reading comprehension

So anyone who doesn't agree with scientific consensus believes the earth is flat?

MSG is Jewish poison.

more "anyone who first argues he dosent see any consensus, is given lots of them and disregards them anyways is retarded"

>3g of MSG

Why do these twats eat so much MSG? Have you ever poured a little MSG in your hand and licked it? It's extremely potent and sticks to your tongue. Nobody should ever put near 3gs of msg in their food.

>C in C out moron

your body couldnt even come close to actually processing that much broccoli. the human metabolism is not an indiscriminate incinerator that turns all foods into energy with equal efficiency

so what your saying is the c would still come out

High levels of sodium and saturated fat, also, red meat is often carcinogenic

Eating bacon every meal is not a healthy diet, surprise surprise

They can all be wrong and they are, no one has ever been able to accurately tell if they ate MSG or a placebo before. It has been tested and studied over and over, there are literally no humans sensitive to MSG

I really just said that so someone wouldn't come in and bitch at me for saying the Atkins diet worked. Still, I can't imagine how you would ever shit again if you ate nothing but red meat.

>Oh look, Veeky Forums is breaking the laws of thermodynamics again.
Retard.

>When your kidneys can't excrete the excess water, the sodium content of your blood is diluted (hyponatremia)
Fair but in my post somewhere up the chain you are responding to, I specified that you would not be drinking so much water that you fuck up your salinity. We're talking about drinking a lot of water, but not like an anorexic who replaces all food with plain water for an extended period of time.

It's not breaking the laws of thermodynamics, dipshit, it's just that your body isn't 100% efficient, so some foods don't get fully processed and you drop some of the calories when you shit.

>ITT: Professor Brian Cox
Seriously, Veeky Forums.