Latro in the Mist exhaustive commentary

Here is the full Latro write up. I handled this like the short story entries, with a full gloss, which might make for some long/dull sections, but it strives to be a full concordance for references and allusions. Ideally this would have been an annotated version of the novel, but as it is a long summary/gloss section was, in my opinion, necessary. If anyone reads it and catches some typos, please let me know, as I have gone over this one way too many times, especially the first 75 percent of it.

pastebin.com/E9dMK5Uv

ps - anyone who says Wolfe is not serious literature or start with the Greeks should read this book and this essay ...

Other urls found in this thread:

ultan.org.uk/variance-reduction-techniques/
youtu.be/esAjkChAy7M
forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144066071&p=867296161&viewfull=1#post867296161
forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147340463&p=932495263&viewfull=1#post932495263
forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145283751&p=892087001&viewfull=1#post892087001
forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144790391&p=881504461&viewfull=1#post881504461
forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144746621&p=880622851&viewfull=1#post880622851
forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141007751&p=806987441&viewfull=1#post806987441
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Aramini — I am glad you are here. I haven't seen your posts in a long while. Sincerely, a follower in youthful admiration of the devotion.

Thanks - been really busy writing, amongst other things. I appreciate it.

If you're the real deal Aramini prove it. Record yourself doing 5 one handed push ups and upload in WebM form.

Care to do a Fifth Head of Cerberus one?

Tomorrow i will if this thread is still around. It's 2 o'clock here.

My fifth head essay is at ultan's library, and there's a youtube vid as well. I have probably gotten better at these essays, but I don't know that i want to redo fifth head.

ultan.org.uk/variance-reduction-techniques/

youtu.be/esAjkChAy7M

What if I start Wolfe with Latro instead of Book of the New Sun?

Latrine in the Mist

I don't know because it's the final boss of Wolfe I haven't read yet. But people say you should read Herodotus.
Is your second volume going to cover all of Wolfe's fiction that's left or is there going to be a third one? And are you going to include a larger commentary on the New Sun? It's the only work in the first vol. that I remember enough to be able to follow your writing on. Shame it was only 30 pages long.

>But people say you should read Herodotus.

already done

yes you can start there. Then read my essay, which mentions all of the Herodotus references anyway, so you don't have to read Herodotus.

It was too long, so number 2 will cover all of Wolfe's fiction up to 2001. It is now done, but needs to be submitted to my editor. I have finished all of the short fiction writeups regardless, but still have to complete essays on Wizard Knight, Land Across, Evil Guest, Sorcerers House, and Borrowed Man. Then it will be completely done. I will probably write a more traditional comparative essay listing some features of new sun in the third volume to make it at least somewhat attractive ... but I am very proud of this second volume, which has the best work I will ever do.

I tried to make the long essays in this second volume more self-contained, which means more summary and more careful exposition, but the arguments are always complicated. The Short Sun and Latro essays are hundreds of pages long.

You truly are the king of kings.

Thanks! I need to revise one key point [spoilers past this point] Gaea wants Pausanias to lose the race so he can win prestige, be influenced by the Persians, and start a helot rebellion; Artemis wants him to win the race so he can be destroyed; Pasicrates forgives Latro and gets destroyed in the games; the Amazons win an urn and have to sacrifice it; Io loves Latro and lets women try to cheer him up, hurting herself; Artemis is foiled but then appears by Latro in her silver empyreal form ... all of these things show that the path to victory is loss, and Artemis is actually purified, as is Pasicrates and Pausanias. I am certain Wolfe was inspired by the pryaer of St. Francis, given its use of light "lucius" and joy "io" - he took it one further by making the channel of peace the avatar of War.

Make me a channel of your peace.
Where there is hatred let me bring your love.
Where there is injury, your pardon, Lord
And where there's doubt, true faith in you.

Make me a channel of your peace
Where there's despair in life, let me bring hope
Where there is darkness, only light
And where there's sadness, ever joy.

Oh, Master grant that I may never seek
So much to be consoled as to console
To be understood as to understand
To be loved as to love with all my soul.

Make me a channel of your peace
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned
In giving to all men that we receive
And in dying that we're born to eternal life.

These books are ludicrously Christian, and everyone seems to read them as simply more hard determined classical pawn heroic fiction.

What are all the recommended Wolfe books? He's written a lot.

Been looking forward to volume 2 ever since the first volume was release, your essays are a treat

Peace, Fifth Head of Cerberus, Latro in the Mist, New Sun, Long Sun (because it leads to) Short Sun. I have a soft spot for There Are Doors since I figured it out - unreliable third person narration for a reason ... Short Story collections: Island of Doctor Death or Best of Gene Wolfe, Endangered Species.

Thanks! Part of the delay besides personal big life events was the immense burden I feel to "get it right" - I have to be able to satisfactorily explain, for example, why Aglaus thinks Latro hits him in the throat in a dream while both Latro and Pasicrates think Pasicrates acted in that fashion - if I can't do it either symbolically or literally on a plot level, then I don't fully understand the implication of the scene and the write up is FLAWED OR WRONG. This Latro write up was hard because I would come to a firm realization and have to go back and change the connotation of previous glosses slightly.Volume 2 is seriously the greatest work I can possibly do - this is my absolute best effort on Wolfe's most enduring and perfect fiction. At times i have sacrificed narrative flow in the essays for extreme thoroughness.

>Latro in the Mist
So is reading Soldier of Sidon not recommended? And isn't his Wizard Knight really popular?

someone talk about the wizard knight. i liked it and it has the same numinous quality as tbotn but i'm a brainlet and i don't get garsecg. the part where he's ascending some sort of staircase(?) to meet him is beautiful though.

what did he mean by this?

Excellent. I will keep this saved for my re-read of Latro.

It is recommended.

>gene wolfe wears wolf t-shirts

do you think wolfey ever says to himself "i am the walrus teehee"?

is marc aramini what happens when someone takes /fitlit/ seriously?

Part of me only opened this thread to see Aramani's grand return.

aramini is a manlet.

but is he, dare i say, /ourmanlet/ ?

>genre fiction
>manlet
yeah, i guess he is.

>forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144066071&p=867296161&viewfull=1#post867296161

kek but also mirin

>Tfw 99-101 iq brainlet

>reddit.com/u/aramini
>95% of posts about walrus man, 5% about weeb video games

say it with me now: OUR GUY

Oh wow forgot about that crap. Not as ripped anymore but i am 40.

do u have goodreads

Yes but i rarely update or check it

Shame!

what's your hot take on this board's newest meme intellectual, jordan peterson? seems like some degree of crossover appeal with wolfe with the defense of hierarchy and religion and religious/mythological semiotics.

After this project is done I will. And read non wolfe research things again ...

link it then I guess

>I'm ridiculously narcissistic, I love being short, fast, and there's a certain, "oh, he's so cute and little" thing I have that really works well with a lot of girls ... but I think 5'10'' might be just slightly better in terms of getting noticed in a crowd than my current height. Anything over that and gymnastic stuff becomes too difficult, for short guys it's easy with a little practice, and coordination also seems more natural.

>Never in a trillion years would I trade what I have been given as a man with the weak, insecure, mewling fear that dominates a woman's existence, where the lowest common denominator of prudent thinking is that if you want something done right you have to get the most competent man to do it.

OUR GUY OUR GUY OUR GUY

>makeout: 18
hj: 19
bj: 23
sex: 23

THERE IS HOPE

>forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147340463&p=932495263&viewfull=1#post932495263
>marc is a trapposter

WHAT IS EVEN REALITY

good taste desu

>I actually prefer big ass and no tits - it looks nice and athletic if done right without being scrawny. Never cared for breasts too much anyway - so ass and no to medium tits is a my woman of choice.
makes sense lmao

>>Some girls are very violent in bed and I well imagine there is a primal desire to be raped at some level and made to feel physicaly unable to resist.

this guy is a goldmine

>I tend to like somewhat lax Catholics because there are all the wonderful icons and the shame of promiscuity in the back of their minds, but they aren't fundamental and annoying about scripture and all this nonsense, it's just a ritual, and in some (I am thinking Mexican/New orleans) cultures its more like a voodoo cult - light a candle at the altar and pray for good/bad things, but really have little understanding of it beyond superstition. That's the best, fundamental Christianity can get odious but at its core, love one another as I have loved you, love your neighbor as yourself are GREAT rules to live by and make the core tenet of Christianity a beautiful way to live.

FOR SHAME!!! WHAT WOULD GENE SAY?

>forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145283751&p=892087001&viewfull=1#post892087001
>tfw

Wizard Knight is by far the best and deepest Wolfe novel, far surpassing his everything else. I want a real critical work on Wizard Knight...

>She invited me to meet her in Vegas on June 14th, the day I am flying out to meet up with my long distance girlfriend (who my wife knew but doesn't "know" about because she would certainly instantly "get" the way that we hooked up while I was still married to my wife)
>tfw your catholic heroes turn out to frauds

>I really can't stand a lesser individual who has accomplished nothing in life rejecting me - I find it disgusting and morally outrageous.

RODGER TERRITORY

story about your ex-wife and the circus is nuts though. what a life, man.

Can someone give me a short summary of who OP is and why he's so famous? I'm a bit lost.

>Not all women are irresponsible and worthless and looking for someone to take care of them and spend money on them. Just 99+%.

kek

he sucks genre wolfe cock really really hard, and sometimes people are impressed by that. no discernible talent in his own right.

>Yet inside me is a fascist - when kids talk about legalizing drugs, I want to illegalize everything, cigarettes and alcohol. When people talk about how homosexuals deserve the same tax breaks for marriage, I want to take away the tax break from straight marriages and see how much they still want to get married. So inside I just want people to be controlled and suffer and be at the mercy of my infinite judgment, but in real life, it is always my instinct to pity when there should be none.

marc if you're scrambling to delete your profile or something, relax, just havin' a laugh

>I want to take away the tax break from straight marriages and see how much they still want to get married.
Newsflash, tax breaks for marriage is a thing only in America. In the rest of the world marriage is usually a net financial negative.

yes and alcohol is already illegal in some countries, obviously he's writing from the perspective of the laws of his country. are you retarded?

>forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144790391&p=881504461&viewfull=1#post881504461

damn marc you used to be kinda bitchmade

>forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144746621&p=880622851&viewfull=1#post880622851

rating and posting your nieces is pretty scummy marc. and you were already mid-30s then tsk tsk.

>are you retarded?
Are you? The 'see how much they still want to get married' experiment has already been done with conclusive results.

holy shit, i mean i talk shit on aramini and all, but doxxing the guy is a bit much eh? who cares, he's just a fag, doesn't have to get personal.

it's hardly doxing when he posts his real name and the name of his bb.com profile on his youtube channel.

i don't mean any harm, it's just a hoot going through his old posts.

no catholic ever has ever been a perfect catholic. especially augustine, who who early on led a similar sinful life. it all really depends on how one leads their life after doing wrong.

if aramini has no shame about that part of his life, he's a douche and needs to kill himself. if he's not, and made amends for it, there's ultimately no problem.

Tldr

it does kind of confirm my suspicions about the guy, i'll admit, and he did put his shit out there, seems almost intellectually dishonest. should outthink the faggot rather than discuss his uh, untoward sexual practices and manlet status.

i'm not hating on his scholarship at all, i'm just tickled pink by this shit

what am i doin defending a former tripfag, you're right, this shit is hilarious.

posting his ridiculous behavior in the past is outthinking him.

> ""doxxing""
Kill yourself, you tard.

>forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141007751&p=806987441&viewfull=1#post806987441

> I have some cuban heel dress shoes that make me 5'10'' in emergencies

kek

KEK

this is Peak Manlet

Based OP.
Was it you who talked to me about the Soldier series some weeks ago in the fiction thread?
We talked about the outcome of the race and the slaughter of the Spartan slaves.

marc do you really think i didn't archive all this? just gonna delete everything and ghost your own thread?

Well hell ... who would have ever thought i would be "famous" enough to dig up stuff on? I was a pussy, got wise, and now have more than suffered and repented in all kinds of ways.

Yes i believe so.

No there's no sense in denying who I was. Did anybody see the 9/11 story?

And karma caught up with me in a huge way. Lost the job I loved, second wife grew a huge ovarian tumor that was cancerous, etc.

haha i really liked your little series on wolfe. didn't take any digging when you post the profile name in your youtube comment section. where you got limp dick with the girl who looked like an addams family character?

how are you different now? i don't think anyone actually objects to most of it really, most young men think those sorts of things. it's just fascinating what you revealed on a bodybuilding forum of all places.

Yes and the whole towers falling on the day i kind of lost my virginity. My mouth has always been too big.

That tumor grew 25 pounds in 2 weeks

how is she now?

You know that you can't (assuming it was you) compare yourself to st. Augustine because the 'second wife' just means adulterous union and life in the state of mortal sin where you cannot have confession or communion and are considered hellbound?

How can the same person be smart enough to write this essay and at the same time be stupid enough to share extremely personal details online?
OP what are you doing?

Her health is ruined. She is back at work, but no energy, cyst on the other ovary, hypermobilism. Some days are good but it hasn't been fun. Gonna have to get that other one removed soon.

test

I didnt compare myself to augustine.

The problem of the abstract genius : doesnt make good life decisions but sure is good at tests.

Does this touch on the third book?

That was someone else then.
Also hope your wife gets better. At least she's not in mortal danger anymore.

No. Only the first two with very small clarifying references (red and white paste if seven lions is war paint - no big deal)

Thanks