For those who loved this book, why did you? What makes it so great and popular? I'll be starting it soon...

For those who loved this book, why did you? What makes it so great and popular? I'll be starting it soon. Give me your sales pitch.

Just read it if you want to for gods sake. It doesnt matter to me whether you read it or not so why would I give you a sales pitch?

I do want to, I just want to hear other people's thoughts. If it doesn't matter to you then don't tell me.

Why color your reading of a classic text with Veeky Forums babbling?

What is read in naivety, ignorance, and with imagination is what sticks with you the most. The time for Veeky Forums babble and sophistication and analysis is after the magic is gone, after you've read the main core of books.

Can someone answer why this is posted about on a daily basis around here?

Cuz this is a literature board, and TBK is one of the greatest works of literature

There are plenty of great works of literature that aren't spam posted.

Why is this one specifically?

i loved it, i read it when i was patient enough to enjoy it. i enjoyed it because it felt grand, diverse, in a way that books i read before weren't, things like religion and emotion were tackled, characters popped crisp from the page, it wasn't the greatest book, and has many flaws, but it was something i was happy to sink my teeth into, could immerse myself in during a hard time of my life. it had much of the feel of a melodrama without the soap opera, a mystery novel that was hardly a mystery. the book ended making me feel as though it was certainly not the end, but rather a window closing on a breathing, living, and beautiful world.
dosty will always be close to my heart.

pleb

You guys are immature. Just answer the question, and if you have nothing to say, don't post. This isn't reddit, fucking humor the OP if he has a genuine question.

“By the way, a Bulgarian I met lately in Moscow," Ivan went on, seeming not to hear his brother's words, "told me about the crimes committed by Turks and Circassians in all parts of Bulgaria through fear of a general rising of the Slavs. They burn villages, murder, outrage women and children, they nail their prisoners by the ears to the fences, leave them so till morning, and in the morning they hang them- all sorts of things you can't imagine. People talk sometimes of bestial cruelty, but that's a great injustice and insult to the beasts; a beast can never be so cruel as a man, so artistically cruel. The tiger only tears and gnaws, that's all he can do. He would never think of nailing people by the ears, even if he were able to do it.
These Turks took a pleasure in torturing children, -too; cutting the unborn child from the mothers womb, and tossing babies up in the air and catching them on the points of their bayonets before their mothers' eyes. Doing it before the mothers' eyes was what gave zest to the amusement. Here is another scene that I thought very interesting. Imagine a trembling mother with her baby in her arms, a circle of invading Turks around her. They've planned a diversion: they pet the baby, laugh to make it laugh. They succeed, the baby laughs. At that moment a Turk points a pistol four inches from the baby's face. The baby laughs with glee, holds out its little hands to the pistol, and he pulls the trigger in the baby's face and blows out its brains. Artistic, wasn't it? By the way, Turks are particularly fond of sweet things, they say.”

Meme potential.
It deals with meme topics and expresses meme opinions that many
would consider controversial and therefore intellectual.
It's also long and many would consider that difficult and therefore intellectual.

Thanks, don't get why people bother replying just to say they won't answer the question.
unironically, damn...

Thank you user, though what do you mean by:
>It deals with meme topics and expresses meme opinions

See Things like that.

When you say this book is a meme, are you insinuating that it's not a masterful piece of literature?

Its beautiful, scenic, spiritual and contemplative

and Alyosha is the most moral character since Jesus

Don't listen to the user saying it's a meme book. He's a fedora wearing pseud. Read the book, it's fantastic.

I only have the Penguin classics version and I can't be bothered to get a new translation. What am I in for?

More than the prince in The Idiot?

I'm one of the people who read it and did not consider it that awesome.

It's a good book, it has good scenes and elements, but I somehow think it overstays its welcome. I enjoyed Crime and Punishment or Notes from the Underground more.

I feel like a pleb for thinking like this, when everyone says it's his best book, but that's just how I felt.

>doesn't like TBK
>uses reddit spacing
>admits he feels like a pleb
>still decides to interject his pleb opinion
at least you liked C&P and Notes...But did you understand them...

Of course not.
But that user was asking why it's popular, not if it's good. Things don't become popular because they are good. They become popular because they have meme potential.
That doesn't exclude the possibility of something being both good and having meme potential.

user posts a question about a book on a forum for books and you go full asp. GTFO retard.
------
I loved TBK because it made me genuinely re-evaluate my entire attitude towards religion in society, after having already thought about it extensively for a few years in university. The story itself is very good and I loved the characters, but the way it made me think about living as a moral person in society, and the role religion can play in society, was really influential to my current way of thinking.

I picked it up, intending to read it, after having finished reading through a lot of Tolstoy, and the transition was too jarring. I'll probably come back to it later, because prose is unimportant when compared to the ideas expressed in books, but I couldn't stand it then.