Who do you think would be the better ruler, should they seize the Iron Throne?

Who do you think would be the better ruler, should they seize the Iron Throne?

The argument for Daenerys: Daenerys is clearly more compassionate and understanding of her subjects than Stannis. Her liberation of the slaves is pretty admirable, and unlike Stannis, she can make compromises with people. It's quite impressive that she was able to take three prominent cities in Slaver's Bay despite being a foreign teenager. Like Stannis, she can also dispense harsh justice to wrongdoers such as her crucifixion of the Grand Masters and has a notion of right and wrong. However, she often lets her own emotions cloud her judgments, and the conflict in Meereen is a clear sign that she's not the perfect queen we originally expected her to be. Her unwillingness to accept that her father deserved his downfall is worrying, as this means that she would possibly punish everyone allied to Robert if she ever took the Throne.

The argument for Stannis: Stannis has had far more experience in a leadership role, ruling Dragonstone for many years as well as being a skilled naval commander. The fact that he was able to rule the Targaryen stronghold for so many years without conflict is a testament to his ruling capability. His notion of justice is in a way admirable, in his belief that no good or bad deeds must go ignored, and that good and bad acts don't wash each other out. By saving the Wall, it's clear that he's the only King that cares about the threat of the Others and acts to save the realm. However, his extreme stubbornness is a huge misgiving, as it makes ruling a feudalistic kingdom that much harder. His refusal to ally himself with either Renly or Robb Stark was borderline retarded, and his cold withdrawn personality makes it much harder to gain allies. It's clear that he lacks the political pragmatism that men like Tywin Lannister possessed in order to rule the realm effectively.

Thoughts?

>not the perfect queen we originally expected her to be
>perfect queen
>expected
>her to be
>Daenerys

Daenerys is the best leader oyt of everyone else.

Night King or GTFO

I honestly expect the Others to just fucking win in the end and rule the world in eternal winter. That seems exactly like the sort of thing Martin would do, especially at this point.

Okay let me be a total pleb here but I need to vent this somewhere.

Daenerys is a fucking no good retard. Literally all she's about is feels and intentions.

>become queen thanks to your brother
>king happens to die so now you're the sole leader
>technically your army would never follow you on your own but thanks to the dragons that were gifted to you and you hatched by mistake, they think you're magic
>literally never do anything, everything is done by either luck, or any of your advisors
>be regarded as this super liberal savior who wants to rid the world from slavery ignoring the fact that it's already ilegal and one of the worst crimes in westeros and has been for years
>on top of this, retarded fans will go on how you deserve the throne that was stolen from your family by conquest, ignoring the fact that that's exactly how your family won the throne in the first place
>'wooooooow look how le badass female exposes fragile masculinity by shouting dracarys and doing literally nothing else yet again, so epic'
>'we are not men'
>how dare you betray and spy on me some time in the past before becoming obviously 100% devoted to me to the point of saving my life repeatedly you fucker, I literally hate betrayal more than slavery, now go away before I have you killed so I can go fuck the guy that's in my side because he betrayed his brothers in arms by murdering them for me over literally MUH DIK in the first place some more
>just sits there in safety during every battle, fight, etc, in the very same show where we have seen EVERY SINGLE OTHER major (and minor) character that is even close to a commander be the first in line, save for Ramsay, in which case it's even done to show that he's a coward/asshole/etc
>all this on the very same show where you have Brienne, Arya, and other female characters that GET SHIT DONE THEMSELVES, yet muh fucking 'khaleesi' (fans literally can't learn her name, which is atrocious in its own right and triggers me every time) is supposed to be the greatest female power XD character in it

Really could go on, but it just fucking drives me nuts. This fucking cunt had EVERYTHING she stands for fall from the sky for her, and she gets ALL the credit. I'm 100% convinced the fat fuck wrote her to make readers realize all this if they had half a brain while reading, then was shocked when he noticed everyone praising this useless cunt, just going along with it. Her case exposes so much of human nature.

>crazy megalomaniac slut with dragons

>battle hardened warrior from a royal family

HMMM

Sexist

>liberation of the slaves
>admirable

>Freedom
>Wrong

Daenerys is objectively the best ruler.

Freedom to starve is so great, they started selling themselves back into slavery.

The lords would probably never follow Dany. Granted they would probably follow anyone strong enough to keep the realm together before winter gets there but it would never considering they just got done with a civil war to remove her crazy family in the first place.

Stannis is pretty shit and he doesn't have a good heir but in the immediate future he will probably get shit done so long as the Lannister's are out of the picture.

The only benefit I think she's bring is a possible answer to whatever "fire vs winter" fantasy showdown theory you subscribe to when the Walkers get there. I don't know how well her messiah game would work with Westeros red necks.

Dany doesn't understand Marx and liberated the slaves in a climate that is not economically ready to advance feudalism. It was a politically smart move in some ways because now she can set up a more effective messiah cult but other than that it was stupid.

>women having power outside of lucking out with a regency in a world with medieval values
Is this the kind of "realism" you retards talk about all the time?

Sexist. There was queens in the paat

>lucking out with a regency
Because the idea of a monarchy based on an inherited title is pure fantasy

Stannis by a tormmunds-cock-length.

Dany is actually a huge idiot who owes almost all her success to other people who do everything for her because of her OC donut steal - tier special dragonlord genetics.

Her "compassion" is a bigger liability than advantage. Yeah on paper "I love everyone I want to make everyone happy" is great but a leader can't have naive dreams like that. The real world is a fucking bitch and you need to be harsh and capable of violence sometimes, cause if you aren't then crueler and stronger people than you will walk all over you and take everything you have, and ultimately way more suffering will wind up happening than if you had just been stern and accept you can't always save everyone. Ending slavery was a noble goal but she went about it in an absolutely retarded way, thinking you can just change thousand year old industries and traditions for millions of people overnight. You need to do that shit slowly over time.
Also she's a complete fucking hypocrite and the 2 men she's loved and lusted the most of anyone in the world, Drogo and Dario, were both incredibly violent, cruel murders. Drogo is confirmed to have captured and sold tons of people into slavery, and I'd bet Dario has done the same. They've both probably raped tons of women too. And they both lead large forces who have done all those things on an even larger scale.
>Oh but as long as I'm their special princess and they never do any of those bad things to ME it's all fine cause they're just so big and strong and alpha and make my dragon cunny tingle

I could rant more but I'm running out of space in this post.
tl;dr dany a stupid hypocrite lucky shit

Daenerys
> all problems solved via Deus ex machina
> objectively overpowered character with objectively overpowered army / council
> attempts to overthrow existing world order with a vague sense of egalitarianism for those "on her side" and those she has liberated from her enemies, enemies who are literally just "people who don't want to give her boats and horses, or call her a whore"
> objectively Fascist, with the premise of ruling benevolently after establishing a new world order under her rule

Stannis
> tries to play his privileged role the best he can
> morally bankrupt, relies on cheese strats like blood magic
> perpetually ready to risk everything around him in a gamble to scrape cobble a shred of legacy out of his life despite having armies of soldiers willing to fight for him and a family
> eternally caught off guard despite being a veteran of a wartorn world full of magic and misery
> hubris and pride causes him to overplay nearly every hand he's given
> wants to continue Monarchy for no reason other than personal gain / does not ideologically want to change the status quo that has caused everyone around him to suffer his entire life

Even if Daenerys' story arc was Theon-tier, she has ideology on her side

They are both willful, narrow-minded, and short-sighted. Each depends more upon coercion and force to attain their goals rather than diplomacy, mediation, and compromise, regardless of the cost. These are terrible character traits in any leader, and that's why they're pointed up in ASOIAF. In Martin's moral universe, anyone that actually wants power absolutely should not have it. This doesn't mean they DON'T, and the problem is that far too many do, and that's the reason for the disastrous state of Westeros and Slaver's Bay.

Stannis will do the job "good enough".

Dany will do the job terribly.

Obviously Stannis, he is probably more fit than any ruler that we are shown.

Daenerys because she's a magic white woman who will rule the world perfectly because it's fiction and all made up. She's made it this far because of the power of fantasy wish fulfillment, and she will rule the world of Game of Thrones perfectly as well through the power of fantasy wish fulfillment. Of course, Daenerys winning is the good end.

Dany is just being set up to die and Jon will inherit all her power and dragons and armies and shit and be the true hero.

Daenerys is too egotistical and prone to anger to make a truly good ruler. Despite her promising beginnings she would be capricious and bend the law to her whims.

Stannis on the other hand can be trusted to respect the letter of the law. Although admittedly his willingness to bend to the red god is worrying. A foreign heathen can't be allowed on the throne.

>his willingness to bend to the red god is worrying.
He never bends to the red god.

I'd be surprised if HBO had the nuts to do that. The state of television "criticism" is a less obviously cynical version of what is stated above. GoT is just a cultural phenomenon now, and as such its narratives are now driven by metanarratives. If Daenerys dies just for a the handsome man to be the hero their would be a critical revolt against the writers of the show, because the critic knows it's fiction and all made up.

Bending in name is as bad for a king as bending in the soul. What would matter is that to the lay person he appears to have bent

>If Daenerys dies just for a the handsome man to be the hero their would be a critical revolt against the writers of the show
>handsome man to be the hero
all the women watching would love that though

But Stannis is dead in the T.V

Show me the body

Brienne kill him. We all know how a stupid cunt she is.

why 95% of the posts are not
>get the fuck out
or
>not Veeky Forums
or
saddens me

Who gives a shit about the high budget fan fiction that is the show.

The only person in GoT who might make a good leader is Tyrion. Unfortunately most people fail to take him seriously because he's a dwarf.

just the opposite dude, my brother's an intern with HBO's data intake division so he handles character favorability surveys, etc. Women hate Danny. Like she regularly scores near-the-bottom in character favorability among women. Jon Snow and Sansa are always at the top. Jon scores at the top with Men 18-40 demo too so you've got three guesses to who ends up with the throne

jews did 911. op is a faggot.

Jon is a terrible character as well.

I'm not surprised at this. Dany is a generic strong womyn, rather than a well-rounded female character.

Daenerys because she's a woman and we all know women are pure, incorruptible human beings and should occupy half of leadership positions regardless of actual competence.

This guy geta it

stannis the mannis is the one true king but I guess he dead
dany is bait and will fail
john snow will prolly slay the white walkers (with danys help? yknow dragons n shit) and prolly sacrifice himself for humankind (jesus-motive ist strong with this one)
Sansa will sit on the iron throne

>heard it here first

this garbage belongs on

Why? A Song of Ice and Fire is lit

As much as Harry Potter.

>As much as Harry Potter.
I mean they are both Books, so yes they are indeed Literature no matter how much you deny it

If you are discussing Harry Potter it's proof that you are underage and need to be banned.

You were the one who brought it up.

I'm not that user, you underage sack of shit. Analyze my prose vs. his prose, it's pretty fucking obvious that we're two different anons.

>ll the women watching would love that though
I thought Women loved that?

Get the fuck out of Veeky Forums you stupid faggot redditor

>just sits there in safety during every battle, fight, etc, in the very same show where we have seen EVERY SINGLE OTHER major (and minor) character that is even close to a commander be the first in line,
First off, this is Veeky Forums not /tv/. In the books, MANY commanders stay to the rear of battle. Tywin Lannister, Roose Bolton, Doran Martell, Stannis Baratheon, and more.
That said, I don't watch the show, and you may be completely right about her character. That's also one particular example of the poor casting by HBO in this series, in my opinion.

>Sansa
>at the top

Cletus pls. Slavery is wrong

>Dany doesn't understand Marx

The autism is real

Stannis the Mannis Hands down. For most of the reasons written above and Martin has expanded his strategic acumen in the released chapters of the new book when he (spoilers) discovers the Karstark plot and encamps by the frozen lake. Next book aboutta be ... dareisayit ... Veeky Forums I'll show myself out.

its almost as if its a fantasy novel

Can't be fantasy. Martin actually writes realistic things. Like economy, taxes and etc.

This.

Most of her plotline is making decisions which she does well, which is why she'd make a good queen. All of your arguments are retarded.

What

No. Just no. She mired herself in a near unwinnable war in slaver's bay, continually fucked with the culture there with "muh morality" (moralfags GTFO, this is politics), she believes the retarded propaganda concerning Ned Stark when Barristan tells her that Ned was a decent man and did what he had to in the rebellion, she is shit at taking her dragon's. Overall quite a shit leader who will probably get most of her current followers killed once Mereen gets stormed. Great tits tho.

You simply do not understand her intelligence.

>danyfag

Dany Stormslut is a retarded teenage girl that gets everything handed to her by the author, reality is her being left dead in a ditch after Karl Drogo died.

Let's not forget she's thirteen.

Yes she's great at getting pounded both physically and metaphorically. Let me bow before that genius!

Yes, I should have added that to the list of disqualifications. Thank you user.

>Daenerys takes the throne
She massacres all who stand in her way and, upon ascending the throne, slowly turns to paranoia. A bloody moral catastrophe follows.

>Stannis takes the throne
He implements a regime hard enough to keep order, but fair enough to keep peace.

Yeah, hey, doesn't Danerys have the Targaryen madness? Didn't it start to manifest in the last book?

Yearp.

saved