My local Hannaford has whole turkeys for $0.36/lb. I bought 2 20lb birds

My local Hannaford has whole turkeys for $0.36/lb. I bought 2 20lb birds.

Should I go back and get more? Seems like it would make cheap lunches for the near future.

And where are you going to store eighty pounds of turkey dickhead

Do you have somewhere to store them? Or process them?

my freezer. i've got the room

i've never bought turkey before. it seemed like a really good price.

>20 lb turkeys
what le fug, I've never seen a norwegian turkey bigger than 8 kg. Are they joocing or what's the secret? also 40 lbs of turkey sandwiches seems like probably enough unless you have a very, very big freezer

My kitchen I guess.

Can you dethaw and refreeze turkey without ruining the meat? Seems like I could process them and fill my freezer with cheap meat.

>dethaw and refreeze

sorry i've been drinking....

thaw and freeze

It's marketed toward suburban idiots who think bigger is better. You should never buy a turkey more than 12lbs. A whole 20lb turkey will never cook correctly.

Yeah sure, they'll be fine as long as you freeze them.

Nah, it won't matter much. Just don't do it more than twice.

The thing with farmed turkey is that it's not very palatable without being pumped full of saline. Doubly so for the huge birds which are extremely difficult to cook whole and evenly with consumer equipment.

On the plus side, if you can manage to choke it down and don't give up and spend $100 on peanut oil, it is indeed cheap protein.

8kg is almost 20 lbs, its like what 17? not that much of a stretch

I've actually seen some wild turkeys that were around 20lbs. Cousin hunts his own too. I am half convinced they are breed in captivity and then released all over though.

First, some maths:
Turkey has an edible portion ratio of roughly 55% meaning that from a 20lb turkey, about 11lbs will be edible. The lean edible portion, that is, the meat with separable skin and fat removed is about 9,5lbs or so. That's about 76c/lb.
idk about where you live, but in my area, I can get turkey chubs for $1.50-$2.00/lb normal price (usually, you can get three 1lb chubs for $5 or ~$1.66/lb). I get that it's more expensive than 76c/lbs but, turkey chubs are also easier to store because they take less space, far less work to prepare than whole turkeys and easily and readily available. Do you really want to lose several cubic feet of freezer space for the next hundred days while you work through 147 servings of turkey when you can just buy chubs as a cheap source of turkey meat?

As said in , it's only about 9,5 lbs of meat (6,89lbs or so after cooking) per turkey. Between four birds, that's about 12,5 kg of meat or roughly 147 or so servings of meat. Maybe other can stomach eating turkey half the year but I sure as motherfuck can't.

You seem to be ignoring the fact that the supposedly "inedible" parts of the turkey--bones, organs, feet, head, etc--are the tastiest part. Make stock.

Fuck, when the Thanksgiving sales come around I buy up cheap turkey for the sole purpose of making stock.

1) organs are part of the edible portion weight.
2) I've never seen a turkey sold in the US with feet or head attached.

The bones and cartilage from a 20lb turkey will make up about 9lbs, which is about enough for a gallon/4 litres of good stock or 2 gallons of piss-poor stock more similar to (but still better than) storebought, yes. However, there's still the matter of 80lbs of AP weight turkey clogging up the freezer, the fact that in order to get to the stock-making bits, you've got to break down and debone the whole bird and, finally, I'm not sure anyone would want to down a gallon or two of refrigerated turkey stock before it goes bad which means it needs to take up freezer space leading back to the first problem all over again.

Buy a turkey. I do. Every year. Or buy two, if you want. But four is just a preposterous number of turkeys to store for the long haul.

I do. I buy the turkey and partially thaw then break it down into breast, thighs, drums and wings. I truss the breast and roast it, using the rib bones, back, neck and wing tips to make stock then use grease rendered from the skin to make roux which is used to thicken the stock into gravy.
I refreeze the thighs for future roasts. I either smoke the wings and drums and use them for cooking greens or beans or leave them as they are and use them in other things. I've made turkey stew, pulled turkey chili, turkey saag and more.

Lol it's like these god damn city slicker faggots have never heard of a chest freezer or a garage. OP don't buy 4 turkies if you've never bought a turkey before. They're a pain in the ass to prep and cook. You'll probably get sick of it too. How much would you really save compared to buying chicken or turkey later down the road?

If you have room for it, go for it. I'll probably get 8-12 turkeys this year (1 test turkey, 3 for thanksgiving and the rest to eat throughout the year)

I have always found this to be the most ridiculous and backward form of economics there is. Around thanksgiving there are thousands of stores selling turkey for under 50 cents a pound, and certainly hundreds of thousands selling turkey's for less than a buck a pound. - When demand would be highest. Then the rest of the year when there is no demand, turkey's are between 3 and 6 dollars a pound?!?!!

it makes no sense. I always buy 3 to last me for the year when they hit sub 50 cent a pound prices. I still have one from last year actually. :-\

It's pretty sensible. It's just a lost leader where they know they can get 4 times profit on stove top stuffing, lol, and canned onion rings for god's sake.

>0lb turkey will make up about 9lbs, which is about enough for a gallon/4 litres of good stock
you're off by a half. Standard ratio is 3/2 water to bones by weight so you'll 1.6 gallons of stock.

I would, a 20lob turkey could make a fuckton of tamales.
Way cheaper than buying chicken at $1.09/lb

Oh I forgot about the stock options. Home made stock is godly.

The demand may be high, but the supply is very high this time of year. Most turkey farmers breed them with thanksgiving in mind.

Most people dont buy entire turkeys the rest of the year.

""""""""Standard"""""""" yields a bland and watery stock, but if you enjoy, then you do you, boo.

I have never thought of putting turkey in a tamal. This. Changes. Everything.

No, turkey sucks, which is why you don't buy it the rest of the year.

>""""""""Standard"""""""" yields a bland and watery stock,
No it doesn't, retard.

>being this much of a tastelet
Enjoy your vaguely turkey-flavoured water. (^:

>tastelet
I'm not the one that needs concentrated turkey stock to taste it.

You live in maine don't you?

in clapistan, even the livestock is obese

>Processed
>Full of preservatives
>Laden with hormones
>Frozen
>Shipped from who knows where in the back of a truck

I can't believe people are still falling for the farm to table jew in 2017

If turkey was $5-6 for a 14lb bird all year, I'd fucking buy it all the time.

The fuck are you going on about?

Nah, Hannaford usually pulls local.

I can 155F one while getting a crispy skin, what the fuck are you doing.

I'm not big on metric, but if this is true, American-farm-raised are flightless. And lazier than wild birds.

And if I'm not mistaken, growth hormone on poultry is quite fucking illegal here.

Processed as in slaughtered and butchered
Some are injected with a brine but not really full of preservatives (thats why they are frozen)
Hormones aren't allowed for use in poultry in the US

In short, get a fucking clue.

>what the fuck are you doing.
Actually cooking and not larping on the internet.

>I DONT KNOW HOW TO COOK SO NO ONE KNOWS HOW TO COOK

Sure, kid. I'm sure your family loves those undercooked stringy thighs, but the breasts are nice!

Your dad sure loves these undercooked stringy thighs.

Store bought turkey tastes so fucking bad. Nothing at all like wild turkey. Learn to hunt and have food that actually tastes good