ITT: Share your edgiest, most contrarian literary opinions

ITT: Share your edgiest, most contrarian literary opinions

Books are boring

Anything published after the year 2000 is shit.

1. David Foster Wallace was a genius and Infinite Jest will be universally acknowledged as part of the Western canon within 100 years.

2. George R.R. Martin is a scat fanfiction writer masquerading as a fantasy novelist and GoT is an abomination. He is also probably literally autistic as well.

3. "Slam poetry" inflames the same part of the brain as "The Turner Diaries" but gets a free pass because black people are now a priestly caste in American society.

Only 3 is right

Notes From The Underground is the only good thing written by Dust toy eve sky.

Pynchon is a hack and will be forgotten a few years after his death

John green is the rightful successor of DFW and both are equally terrible

I don't consider Rupi Kaur to be a real poet but some of her stuff I find touching.

This is gonna be funny.

Reddit is that way, faggot

Weak.

Hahaha continue

People complaining about how nonwhites/women/whatever always only write about their problems completely miss the mark; suffering forms the core of most of the modern canon, and it's not in any way a stretch to write about supposed racism/sexism

Similarly, Toni Morrison is probably the best American writer of the past 50 years

Dostoevsky is extremely funny and I feel like it's 100% involuntarily

Hamlet sucks Ass

I couldn't agree more with all three.

Eww, how do you function day to day.

What specifically do you find funny? He has a specific style of dry, situational humor and it's clear that the second half of notes was intended to be humorous in an absurd way, for instance.

boomer literature is boring, and influential to the current and previous generation who haven't produced a single worthwhile book or poem. there isn't a single author right now who is both talented and able to capture what it is like to live in the post 2000s.

Veeky Forums is full of pretentious fuckbois that only read books off reading lists, "The Western Canon" being the supreme autist's go-to reference for posing as just another cancerous "intellectual" striving to critique and analyze the artistic process they will never truly understand because they will always be hack artists themselves. Not only that, but they turned Catholicism and The Bible into massive memes, just new catalysts designed to further distance themselves from the Reddit Boogyman. Religiously oriented contrarianism against atheistic oriented contrarianism is still being a complete neckbeard. Not once do I get the sense from any of you people that you have a real sense of love for the literary arts, it's all just a means to further culturally enrich your "lifestyle", which is indeed cancerous and lame, and it shows how empty you all really are. Yet we all continue to perpetrate the memes that continue to bog us all down into sniveling ego-driven maniacs with no sense of empathy for each other in this tournament of taste battles.

I unironically agree with all of these. When watching DFW interviews and reading infinite jest, one can sense that DFW is an intensely intelligent, thoughtful, and creative person.
Game of Thrones is pleb garbage, although they did a great job on the TV show.
Left wing extremists are definitely not looked down upon as much as right wing extremists are. One could be a communist and most people would just think they are retarded, but if one is a fascist they are instantly vilified.

Forefathers' Eve by Adam Mickiewicz.
Lame af and just stupid, lucky you don't have to read this

This.

This is true.

It's a frankly bizarre complaint, of course people write about their experiences of suffering.

Nothing between the years 1400 to 1901 are worth reading. And all modernist writers suck and postmodernists too. I ONLY, under every circumstance, read Sumerians or Babylonians, Ancient Greeks, Ancient Romans, Medievalists, and a selection of contemporaries.

Except it's not suffering. It's mass delusion.

You understand.

should i kill myself

Yes, you are right user, there was never slavery or segregation, those people are just whiny.

Post modern 'minority' writers did not endure any real hardship in those senses.

That can be said for most all writing about suffering. Whether or not it's 'real' is irrelevant, if the author feels that they've been slighted and want to write about it, they might as well. This is art, not anthropology

You don't think there are any current repercussions from either of those things? You think black people living in poverty is just a big coincidence?

Toni Morrison lived in an area where black people were lynched, and lived through segregation.

I come here for the banter and laughs, lit should be a private thing between you and yourself. If you're lucky enough to meet someone who's lit then that's great, but over the Internet there's nothing worthwhile to be gained.

Most who write those books or articles today weren't alive then, and that's who I'm saying are delusional. They're usually middle class and living in a first world country, which would make them the 1% in the world and the 0.000001% of who ever lived.

I'm unironically coming around to believe that literature died after the 19th century, with very few exceptions.

GRRM book series (TV-Show sucks ass) will be rememberd as Tolkien's rightful successor and DFW will be forgotten in 20 years

Slam poetry can go die in a cave

im really thinking about committing suicide someone help

Wrong, virtually all of the canon was written from a position of at least middle class leisure and privilege. This is probably because suffering in and of itself is not interesting or valuable. Most people of all races, classes, and IQs have been miserable throughout human history, not just black Americans. If you're like Toni Morrison and unable to express this pain in a unique, creative and intelligent way, then you should just keep your mouth shut

My personal life-saver is my curiousity
I only stick around because I wanna know what'll happen
Just don't take life too serious and enjoy the ride lt's kind of like a bad trip but you can make it more pleasant if you just try to take a step back and relax
the end will come sooner or later anyways so why bother rushing it?

This.
Macbeth is the superior play.

>1984 is good
>Atlas Shrugged is good
>Flowers for Algernon is not really that sad of an ending
>the MC in Native Son was pretty much innocent cause racism forced his actions, but nowadays because of shit like BLM I can't even say that without being branded an SJW. I just found the book interesting cause he really didn't have any malice in him, only fear.

Being well-read means nothing if you can't apply what you've learned.

>this is how plebeians actually think

Modern french philosophy is an abomination and all French philosophers should be shot

I mean most canon (particularly 19th century and onwards) deals with the suffering of its characters

What about Camus? He's god teir

Literary academia, the publishing industry, and the award circuit, is responsible for a glut of terrible writers (most notable example being DFW), and directly responsible for the present low profile of the novel.

All of the above mentioned wouldn't know a good novel if they were smacked in the face with one.

>They're usually middle class and living in a first world country, which would make them the 1% in the world and the 0.000001% of who ever lived.
This is kind of pedantic, but these numbers don't add up. If you do the math, the top 1% who ever lived would not be the top .000001% of all time because of the massive population explosion following the industrial revolution. You're off by a few orders of magnitude.

Stirner ended ethics.

Sterner is a meme philosopher and literal nobody

This is a contreversial opinions thread not a common opinions thread.

Also I said ethics not philosophy. What's good, what's bad?

Fight Club is a modern classic and should be read in High School

nice

exactly man

Ethics is philosophy you brainlet.

>Camus
>philosopher
I like Camus, but this is absurd.

Someone criticized your favorite author and you couldn't handle it. I understand man

If you don't view Camus as a philosopher, then you don't actually like Camus.

How is summer treating you kid?

I didn't like War and Peace. The whole "it's like the world was writing it's own story" never appealed to be, neither do his politics or views on history.

Pynchon is one of the worst things to happen to English language literature. Notable mention to Vonnegut for this honour aswell. Writers who emulate these two are invariably crap.

Kid? I'm 45 year old with a PhD in Philosophy. Oh, I'll bet you feel so silly now that I've humiliated you in front of everyone, kiddo.

Erotic fan-fictions/role playing is the height of literary excellence.

Whoa kid, you got me. Get on the Discord and tell everyone how you BTFO'd me

Half the world, more than that really, lives in poverty. They get no special allowences for their lifestyles.

>inb4 I'm white
>am not

lel, you arrogant American insect.

Nothing will ever totally be; Nobody ever totally is. The concept of God almost totally is, as “total being” would entail everlasting life; we do not know God, however, so in our perspective even he cannot totally be.

you lose kid

wtf in a 45 year guy with a PhD in philosophy doing on here. Go do something more productive.

Thinking about books, buying them, placing them on your shelf, looking at them and contemplating reading them one day is SO much more fun than actually sitting your ass down and flipping through the thing coherently

>buy book
>look at book
>touch book
>make lists of books you might want to read
>think about how much fun it would be to read them all
Very nice, this stuff is incredibly entertaining.

>actually sit down and read the book
You look at the dumb symbols and make the words I'm falling the fuck asleep over here this shit is f u c k i n g BORING

Basically every writer ever, including those writing about suffering, are in some position of at least modest wealth or upbringing

Congrats, you've become a mindless consumer. Go buy a gun and figure out what to do next

The best writing is typically quite simple. Anyone that goes beyond a certain level of verbosity is just making their writing worse. For example, I think that William Faulkner showed signs of being a great writer, which indeed he was, but you don't those moments of greatness as much as you should. If the guy toned down the flowery shit, he could've been the best writer of all time. This is why I think the Russians were superior, and the Brits shit.

So you like the shopping element more than reading. Congratulations, you're the equivalent of those women who go buy a new pair of shoes at the mall every week.

Veeky Forums will find it hard to accept this, but it's the truth

Actually sitting about motionless and reading all the words is the least entertaining aspect of a book.

care to back that claim up with some facts?

>Go buy a gun and figure out what to do next
Lemme guess, post on a forum about his new purchase and inquire about tips on pimping it out with custom grips and sights? :D

Name decent writers who produced their work while impoverished. I can only think of Dostoyevsky during the 1860's.

>everything must be dealt in extremes, you are either wealthy or impoverished

dumb shit user

>"The sky is blue."
>c-c-care to back that audacious claim up with some facts which confirm to my standards of scientific research???? *tips glasses*

Open up the window, retard.

Look the fuck outside

Where the fuck did I say that?

okay smart ass, the window is open, what am i looking for?

The sky. It's fucking blue.

Melville? Kafka? Anyone writing outside of the western world?

It's night, so it's black

>These are the people we share a board with
You might find it hard to believe, but some of us (very few, probably) genuinely love reading.

That's just a dark shade of blue moron

Hitler had decent prose.

Idk about Melville but Kafka was solidly middle class
>writers outside the western world
Like?

nerd

do some freakin math while you're at it, fagboy

>Melville
>Part of a well-established and colorful Boston family, Melville's father spent much time out of New York and in Europe as a commission merchant and an importer of French dry goods.

Kafka's family were Jewish merchants.

Nobody here is living in poverty, if they had to worry about what to eat tomorrow they wouldn't be writers

>Nobody here is living in poverty, if they had to worry about what to eat tomorrow they wouldn't be writers

You sound like a middle class suburbanite. Hunger is actually a good muse.

I can't I got fucking blacklisted from teaching.

Yes, Africa is currently the #1 exporter of quality literature

> he thinks skipping a meal or two is 'hunger'
Kill yourself, you insufferable manchild.

god damn you're retarded

Britain hasn't produced a quality author since Milton, Woolf exempt.

Just accept that writers tend to be middle class, at least