Broke AF and trying to lower my spending by including rice in more of my meals...

Broke AF and trying to lower my spending by including rice in more of my meals, I like rice but hate waiting until new years for rice to cook on the stove.

Should I drop some hints to my family members that I'd like a rice cooker for christmas? What're you're experiences with them? Did you find that you eat more rice after you bought one or is it gathering dust in the back of a cabinet? (Japanese need not apply)

Other urls found in this thread:

frys.com/product/9303560
walmart.com/ip/Aroma-6-Cup-Pot-Style-Rice-Cooker/35745709?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222228024529504&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=40345725752&wl4=pla-78311290952&wl5=9008197&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=35745709&wl13=&veh=sem
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>drop some hints
Do people over the age of 20 still have to hint around at christmas time instead of just exchanging two or three things they know people wanted?
Also rice cookers are really convenient because you get perfectly cooked rice every time without having to pay attention. It's a set-and-forget convenience, but not a necessary one.

Whatever you do get one with a pressure locking lid, the ones with the glass lids just sputter and spew rice water fucking everywhere.

Just fiy those rice cookers you have in the pic (and only ones you should buy) take 30-40 minutes to cook rice. Make sure you specify that they get a weeb cooker (make up some reason, ie smaller, safer, longer lasting).

I'm a chink so I have nothing to offer in regards to rice consumption.

Just use a pot you lazy fuck.

okay have fun standing next to your pot of rice making sure it doesn't boil over ill be over here fucking bitches with my rice cooker

I bet you microwave things, fag.

just set a timer for 15 minutes, its easy, you don't need a rice cooker

I don't eat more rice because I own one. I have rice once a week at most. I bought it because it's convenient. In the 3 years I've owned it, it has returned its value in convenience.

do you just keep the rice in these things and it stays warm or eventually have to out the rice in the fridge?

If you're broke AF you should ask for an instant pot for christmas. it'll do a great job of cooking rice, and you can pressure cook beans (and a million other things) in it too.

>Should I drop some hints to my family members that I'd like a rice cooker for christmas?
no. buy one yourself. best bang for the buck "smart" japanese grade ricer: frys.com/product/9303560

>What're you're experiences with them?
it cooks rice perfectly. every fucking time.

>Did you find that you eat more rice after you bought one or is it gathering dust in the back of a cabinet?
i use it three times a week.

Unless you have a genuine mental impairments it shouldn't take that long. Just put a woodem spoon over the top of the pot and you'll have plenty of time for your retarded brain to catch up on whats happening and turn it down

depends on the model for how quickly it will dry out the rice when kept on warm, but then you just gotta recook it with a bit of water. i've left half a pot in a cheap cooker overnight (on accident) and used it to make fried rice for lunch the next day and it wasn't bad, but it's like any leftovers in that you should put it in the fridge if you know you're not eating it within the next meal.

>Do people over the age of 20 still have to hint around at christmas time instead of just exchanging two or three things they know people wanted?

It's called getting into the holiday spirit, gerold.

I have that exact time cooker, better plan ahead because brown rice takes 110 minutes
That being said I use it all the time I love it

This desu

Just cook one giant ass stew pot of rice at the beginning of every week and refrigerate it.
Then you can fry a pan of it with eggs, potatoes, lettuce, onions, or whatever in like a minute flat whenever you want to eat something hot.

I have regretted purchasing every single cooking gadget I have.
>Instant Pot
>Sous-vide
>Rice cooker
>Toaster

All of these sit in a cabinet or on the counter gathering dust.
They make preparing food seem simpler but the stove/oven/microwave are just as simple to use once you cook something once or twice.

Buy the 15 dollar cooker from Walmart and the good Japanese rice from the Asian market. Rice cooking isn't complicated. Imo a digital pressure cooker would be a better gift request for saving money

>i'm poor as fuck
> I know! I need a kitchen gadget!
fucking Americans. Just buy a margarita maker and end yourself.

What is the minimum amount of rice a rice cooker can cook? I would get one but only ever need a small amount.

dont rely on other people to get what you feel you need. get it yourself.

The smallest rice cooker you're likely to find is a 3-cup, but any cooker can prepare a single portion.

On especially large cookers this is inefficient and sub-optimal, but still doable.

cook the rice with your mind, like the ancients did

I know, my family just draws names at Thanksgiving and we just ask what others want, spending limit $50-$70. Young kids get gifts from everyone, of course.
It isn't hard at all, I never have issues cooking rice on the stove because I'm not mentally disabled. As soon as the water boils, dump the rice in and stir for about 20 seconds, while turning the heat down to low. Put on the lid, wait 15 minutes, check rice to make sure it is done.

If it is boiling over you don't have a lid that fits or didn't reduce the heat quick enough after adding the rice.

If you're on an electric stove top just take it off the heat for half a minute til the eye turns back down.

That being said I do want a rice cooker, but the good ones are just so expensive. I'd rather buy a new graphics card for my computer or a nice set of knives if I were to splurge.

Why the hell would you spend $70 on a rice cooker? Ive had this one for almost three years now and ive never had a single problem with it and the rice comes out great.

walmart.com/ip/Aroma-6-Cup-Pot-Style-Rice-Cooker/35745709?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222228024529504&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=40345725752&wl4=pla-78311290952&wl5=9008197&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=35745709&wl13=&veh=sem

>non-locking lid

It's shit.

Enjoy your rice that goes hard or burns after a couple of hours. A good rice cooker should keep rice edible for at least a day.

$10 microwave rice steamer on ebay.

Best thing i ever bought.

>Ebay

At least buy it from Walmart so you have someone to sue if you get supercancer or something from the heated plastic.

You can get rice cookers that are capable of handling different volumes. Oftentimes asian grocery stores have them for fairly cheap but they can also be bought online of course.
A rice cooker was one of my absolute best purchases since my gf is from a country whose cuisine focuses on rice.
Literally all you have to do is put one part rice to two parts water in the rice cooker, hit "On" and let it self cook for an automatically set time. Voila, you have perfectly cooked rice that is substantially better than what you could ever achieve from a pot.

Yeah dude for sure, turning on your broiler to toast bread is legit such a great idea. You're a genius. Fucking retard.

>tfw put my rice cooker in my gfs asshole
bitches love that shit

>Do people over the age of 20 still have to hint around at christmas time instead of just exchanging two or three things they know people wanted?
I'm all of 46 years old.
I sent my parents actual amazon links for Jesus' Birthday Celebration suggestions for gifts.
Got lame cheap ass versions of what I asked for.
So, YES; people over the age of 40 have to blah blah blah. Just like everyone else.

>I sent my parents actual amazon links

That's not a hint, retard.

>not blend yourself
cmon son

p.s. rice cookers are actually valuable as fuck if you eat rice frequently

your family does exactly what my family has done for years. now that all us grandkids are getting older (youngest is 16) we just ask each other directly what they want for christmas lol

>>youtube comments

Are you attempting to imitate a cross-board link
Because you're missing bits of it, retard.

>2 parts water
>1 part rice
>bring to a boil
>lower temp
>put a lid on
>walk away for 15 mins
>wa la

Am I missing something? What purpose does a rice cooker server???

>I'm broke and trying to save money,
>should I buy a convenience item that makes something I can already make anyway?
No, you fool. If you're trying to not be broke then stop spending unnecessary money

Buy microwave rice.
Idiot.

The Japanese ones are really fucking good.
>Settings to start the batch for the morning/evening
>If you fuck up timing for the rest of the meal, it keeps the rice warm without concern of burning or drying out
>Easy measurements on the pot so you can't fuck up the ratios.
And my favorite
>They're really fucking easy to clean. Rice doesn't stick to the pot so you don't have to soak it.

Be careful though, your family might just pick up one of those rip-off $20 ones. They work but they're no better than just using a pot on the stove.

Half a cup dry is the smallest I can make, any less and you really should just make a bunch and refrigerate it.

Whatever you do, get one with a glass lid and an insert for vegetables, the ones with the locking lid are impossible to clean.

never comes out as good as a rice cooker

I am always worried about either the rice burning or not all the water being absorbed resulting in soggy rice, so I keep checking the pot every 5 minutes or so.

lmao drop rice make flatbreads. save monies.

If you are fat... Fast till you get a nice income..

I use a pan.
I also like to butter my bread before toasting rather than after.

>mfw eurofag
>zojirushi rice cooker not for being imported
>shipping cost as much as the product
>plus 25% import tax

>rice
>water
>click button
>come back whenever i want