I'm making poutine but Jesus Christ it is impossible to find cheese curds, and fuck making them...

I'm making poutine but Jesus Christ it is impossible to find cheese curds, and fuck making them, it would be cheaper to just move to Canada. What is a good cheese curd substitute? All I have on me is some halloumi and a tub of cottage cheese.

scramble some eggs and melt some Kraft American singles into them. pour over fries.

Now THAT sounds like a Canadian dish.

you can get cheese curds from wisconsin but they won't be the same since by law all cheese in the US has to be pastuerized

Regular shredded cheese makes just as good of a poutine.

But they don't squeak.

I'm English not American. That's why the only two cheeses I have on hand are cottage cheese and an Arab cheese.

Take it as a sign not to make that unhealthy pig slop.

melt cheap mozarella in a microwave and cut to small bits

I unifuckingronically suggest cheese strings cut into blocks

UK here, you can either make your own or cut halloumi into cubes. Making your own isn't very hard, you can do it easily with a pot and some cheesecloth.

Make disco fries instead, use mozzarella

chopped up fresh mozzarella

disco fries are always cheddar from where I'm from, I always have to get a substitution to mozzarella.

Just go the the local creamery and buy fresh curds.

press cottage cheese together in a cloth?

This could at least achieve some level of squeakiness

leaf here
fresh cheese is overrated, the best pountines are made with semi soft cheese
>turkey stock gravy and port salut

Leaf here, use a very soft cheese such as fresh mozzarella. Otherwise next time go to a farmer's market and buy quark cheese and strain it with cheesecloth or specifically ask for cheddar curds.

>by law in the US
Stop making up realities to justify your state laws, Wisuckson. There's a reason no one likes your cheeses.

In real places, it just has to be aged.

Now that is something I can get behind. Looks delicious.

They have them at the farmer's market and you can keep them in the freezer. I always have some in the freezer but I guess I've never served them on fries yet. They are of course also good on baked potatoes for a slightly healthier treat.

Is this any good? What is a "poutine?"

Yeah but some cheeses would be too moldy by the 60 day mark that is the federal minimum required so those are always pasteurized.

Fries with cheese curds and brown gravy popular in Canada. Where have you been the last decade? Serious question.

I'm new to Veeky Forums, and I never heard of this.
Last decade? Let's see...US, Germany, Poland, Afghanistan, Guam, Ukraine, Japan, UK...Never Canada though

So, I've looked into this more, and I think I'll try to make this. Do you guys generally make your own gravy, or buy it from a jar?
I have some beef stock I can use to make gravy. I will dig up my potatoes tomorrow and fry them, and I have some large curd cottage cheese I can use.
Is there anything else that makes the dish?

It's Canada's favorite fries! Long phallic objects coated with thick white soft cheese, and some brown sauce for good measure.

I had trouble finding cheese curds when I wanted to make poutine too. I live in Florida and found cheese curds at Super Target (by the deli in the cheese section) and Trader Joe's. Maybe Whole Foods has them too. Good luck

That doesn't sound so bad if you're in the mood for garbage food anyway

do you have String Cheese in the uk? its just mozarella sticks but it makes it super easy to cut into little coins and spread all throughout, also it melts really easy and its super fuckin stringy, not sure wtf they do to make it like that but its way more than regular cheese.

Poutine looks good but seems like it would taste so disgusting

a gravy packet is just fine... just usually wanna make sure its good and thick and not all runny, and adding to it a bit of pepper or a splash or wrchestershireyshirishee helps.

obviously proper gravy is better but thats why you go out to get a poutine because its way too much damn trouble at home.

Its like a warm hug for your heart, a warm... constricting deathgrip bear hug....for your heart.

Off yourself.

It's good if you eat just a little bit

If you order the large one (because hey, its just a loonie more than the regular one) you'll hate yourself afterwards