How does one learn a second language and where does one start from?

How does one learn a second language and where does one start from?

Other urls found in this thread:

endangeredlanguages.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_literature_in_Irish
nsep.gov/content/critical-languages
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Replace the words you already know with those of the language you want

Everything else will sort itself out

immersion is easiest. go live somewhere for a couple of months and you will start to pick it up.

could help, they have nice links.
My method is to self teach it traditionally, and it works well it enough.
Don't trust Duolingo no matter what though, that's the only good advice I can give. It doesn't teach grammar properly at all, and the robots are horrible for pronunciation.
is by far the best method though. My Japanese was rubbish for decades, but after visiting for a while it became much better.

this is how I do it;
start with Duolingo/Memerise untill you have some basic vocabulary/understanding of the language
get a vocabulary app or notebook write in the vocabulary you still have problems with
get a reletivly easy book in the respective language and start translating (write down new vocabulary)

Thanks guys, what language do you recommend I learn?

English.

Are you learning for reading books? I'd go with french if that's the case.

i did this once and lost my ability to speak english

do not recommend

You already know the biggest global language English, so why not learn something from the other end? Introducing... Endangered languages.
endangeredlanguages.com/
Be a paradox, have duality, do something interesting. Learning another big language like Spanish or French is dull and saturated.
>But user there's so many, and I've never heard of any of these languages.
Wait. There's one language among them that I guarentee you've heard. Irish. That's right, Irish is considered an endangered language. It's even on Duolingo, and it's the only endangered language on that site.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_literature_in_Irish
There's some new literature coming out. Don't worry. I remember reading about a book that's inspired by James Joyce was written in Irish, but I forgot what it's called. And I'm pretty sure Joyce is translated in Irish. Get to it, unless you have any better ideas.

I'm from Ireland. OP should only learn Irish if they intend on spending the rest of their lives in the country here. It's fairly useless for day to day life.

I mainly just want to learn languages for the purpose of moving to germany and reading books in different languages.

if you want to move to germany learn arabic instead

Well I would say formal intensive classes would be better for German. Reading in other languages wouldn't take that long I imagine if it's just reading.

Every language except your first is useless in everyday life. Most people don't make a living as translators.

top kek

I mean if everyone in Ireland knew Mandarin Chinese as well as English, that would be pretty useful.

I see 9fag is here.

>arguing about usefulness
>in a board dedicated to literature
Everything is "useless", just eat, shit and die.

Maybe you should read who I was replying to.

That's what happens to all europeans

How about one of these.
nsep.gov/content/critical-languages

German's fun, I recommend it. The nation's great too, regardless of memes and the "high" areas.
Take note of though.
Reading in French for example is easy as shit, the hardest part of it is the pronunciation.

tfw I wouldn't be able to read English classics and work as a translator from English to native if I didn't spend my childhood watching Cartoon Network.

Start with the romans

I'm currently using a grammar book from the hugo's simplified system, pimsleur tapes, and I just discovered the barry faber's book on how to learn a new language, the guy knew 25 by the time he wrote the book. Those are quite fine, just dont use duolingo, that is utter shit, memrise helped me learning the cyrillic alphabet however, so I consider it less shitty. And im learning russian btw, this will be my third one.

the majority of immigrants in Germany aren't even from Arab countries you fucking retard