What's so wrong with cowardice?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_feather
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The inability to an hero

Absolutely nothing.

Huge, milky boobies.

I haven't read that book before.

It leads to other vices since virtues take courage to have.
For instance, you can't trust a coward because he will be too afraid, for himself, to do the right thing when it is difficult.

There's nothing wrong about being skittish. It becomes cowardice when you act against your nature, possibly harming other people in the process. Macomber wasn't a coward for fleeing the lion. He was a coward for having been boastful.

It's ugly and weak.

It's GAY

This is the only acceptable answer without a doubt.

but pretty much no one is a coward in that idealised sense, largely it's just self-preservation and dislike

you are not trustworthy to act in the interest of others

that is the major problem

You haven't read a single book in your entire life.

>the right thing

What if the right thing is killing everyone on the street before buying your groceries? Shit ain't easy to do. I dare you to do that now, and record it. Don't forget to dance and make weird noises while you do it, Mr. Big Boy!

Well that breaks rule #5 so I doubt it's the right thing to do

Correct.

Cowardly dodge of the truth (possibly in self-preservation and dislike, but nonetheless).

Are you upset that I am not deterred even after attempts on my very life? Yes. That's the definition of bravery. Marching headlong onto the killing floor.

Sophistry.

Attempts to conceal cowardice with weak display of humor. Fails. In fact, this attempt at concealment reveals that cowardice all the more clearly.

Whom are you addressing, coward?

Literally BTFO without a scratch again, no damage bodily or anything else. Looks like God is looking out, that's a hell of a lot of luck. Did I get scared? Lol. No. I drove off and back to my duty. Go on then, try and kill me again.

A cool except from A book that resonates bravery to me.

Favourite literary cowards?
>Kichijiro from Silence
>Thersites?

It's a book excerpt senpai. Don't get so mad.

Falstaff

Lord Jim

Yossarian

Cowards don't get to suck on teddies

Heres a major issue with a idealist view which would include cowardice. Cowardice is based on a frame of reference. In one context, say the fight for liberalization, one might argue they are standing up for freedom in the face of conservative hegemony. On the other hand they could be seen as a coward for moving away from their traditions and fighting for weakness and self destruction.

All morality is based on the frame of reference, cowardice is no different. It really is a literary device than it is a structure in reality. It is all based on the narrative. If we took it to the extreme and discussed someone who let friends die due to being paralyzed with fear due to self preservation, we might call this cowardice in the tribal sense, but in a darwinian sense, it would be cowardly to risk your genetic line in the name of "friendship."

Ultimately, we would have to frame cowardice in the individual, are they living up to the ideals they believe in or are they letting the world dictate that for them. Whethter that is a bad or good thing is also dependent on the frame of reference.

>yeah dude I actually have balls you're just not seeing at the moment that my way of having them is by thinking things over and not doing shit haha you feel me?

Get in the robot, Shinji

cowards will sell you out of fear. its a pretty big flaw.

A coward dies a thousand times, for what? The world was built by those who challenge fate, not by the erring I'll inaction that finds it's home in the hearts of feeble men.

>challenge fate
category mistake

cowards dont go for the kiss. they just settle with stuff/women they dont like that much, and live a miserable life because of it, and they make others lives shit in that process. thats how vile they are.

It limits your possibilities. You're not a coward because you're weak, you're weak cause you're a coward.

the relevant and operating frames of reference are usually discernible in reality though
it's usually very clear when someone is a coward. everyone including the coward knows it because the context is the life-world in which we happen to be living.
only after the fact, say, when the coward has fled into a cave, does he then attempt to justify his actions based on frames of reference not associated with his life-world.
in the end, all actions can be forgiven when considering the meaninglessness of existence. but that really doesn't change the fact that you were first a coward.

In life or death situations, it is a good strategy to think of.

In normal, everyday life...

Other people get mad if you don't sacrifice yourself for their self-interest.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_feather

Ferdinand Bardamu

cowards get NO pussy
I know because I'm a coward

Francis Macomber

T. Pontius Pilate

I think about Václav Havel's idea that he was a different kind of coward a lot.

He said that he suffered from a form of cowardice that he knew if he would stand by while others did wrong, their sins would stick to him, and his fear of making himself unclean was greater than his fear of what others would do to him.

I suppose it's similar to Adam's son in East of Eden begging God please don't let me be mean

''All morality is based on the frame of referenc''

W R O N G
R
O
N
G

If you don't feel the shamefulness of it as tangibly as a cool, wet towel resting on your forehead, then you are already lost!

>>in the end, all actions can be forgiven when considering the meaninglessness of existence. but that really doesn't change the fact that you were first a coward.
yes normies despise seeing a few people not clinging to the spooks they try so hard to keep, and their usual way to mock those few people is to call them coward

As mad as this always made me, I don't really wanna be that guy.

Death is but a moment. Cowardice is a lifetime of affliction.

it is dipping one's feet in the unknown, which is in turn brave. Impetuousness shows character. Character shows identity with one's self. The inner, virtue, whatever you want to call it.

in life if you don't ask you don't get

cowardice is the antithesis to that which we admire- taking responsibility for our actions.
Think about it. No matter how shitty a person is, if they admit they were shit, and did shit things we have a certain, if sometimes backwards respect for that person. Cowardice isn't running away when you're about to die, cowardice is running from the responsibility of your decisions.

If a person say, robs a bank, and he gets caught and sits in court and says, "yeah, I did it, and I don't regret it, put me in jail." yeah, we recognize that person did something shitty, but we can't HATE them for it, somewhere inside of ourselves.

But if a person robs a bank and gets caught, and then snivels and whines and begs for leniency, then my god, we hate them.

>in life if you don't ask you don't get
ouch

It's a thing manifest. You'll never find a coward who likes themselves.

t. coward

It's a marvel to me that man conceived of literature at all when big titties predate it and surpass it and everything else so.

Big titties are rarely available if you are not a handsome/rich guy.

Big titties are extremely available if you don't have high standards for the face and the BMI of the woman attached to them.

:Courage is the moral virtue that ensures firmness in difficulties and constancy in the pursuit of the good. It strengthens the resolve to resist temptations and to overcome obstacles in the moral life. The virtue of courage enables one to conquer fear, even fear of death, and to face trials and persecutions. It disposes one even to renounce and sacrifice his life in defense of a just cause"
Cowards cannot do what is just and good in the face of difficulty

t. coward

This.

I was a KV until the age of 24 when I went for the kiss on the first date. We had a very melodramatic relationship that lasted about three months, and now she left me. Not even sure if I regret it.

Fight me, bitch.

True.

If you fight for what you believe, even if it costs you your life, you are no coward.

Freedom, for example. Masters never willingly free slaves. If a Gladiator is thrown into the colosseum, and he has a choice to live the life of a slave or fight to the death, he will choose the fight. The life of a slave is no free life. For him, freedom is won either way, be it through death or liberation at the end of enough ordeals.

Cowardice is the failure to act, or lack of acting, in line with prevailing social attitudes ("ideology"). Guy who doesn't go for the kiss is a coward because the heteronormative vestigially-patriarchal expectation is that he does go for it. Guy who betrays country to save his own life is a coward because the nationalist expectation is that he doesn't betray the country. The point is that the label "cowardice" only has any value when taken in society with other people who can perpetuate an ideology and judge you according to it. The hermit knows no cowardice for the fact that his way of life is the prevailing ideology, that all he does is right and all he fails or lacks to do is wrong.

In short, cowardice is socially constructed but we live in society, so suck it up.

Very good point.

>, and he has a choice to live the life of a slave or fight to the death
For a gladiator fighting to the death is what his master orders him. Doing so makes him a full on house nigger.

Now imagine a master that doesn't want his slave to fight. Just about every other one besides the owners of gladiators, right?

The point is this discussion is aided by this specific example. You think that Gladiator didn't want to fight? All the good ones love it. This could, and should, be applied when speaking of all manner of bravery in slaves.

Why is that wrong ?

I believe in objective morality