Which edition do you own, Veeky Forums? I know there's controversy

Which edition do you own, Veeky Forums? I know there's controversy.

Other urls found in this thread:

quora.com/What-version-of-Moby-Dick-contains-the-original-illustration-and-book-design
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The only controversy is the original british vs original american.

Pingwing Classic

Whoops I forgot

well it's an american novel so..

Anybody know about this edition? Is it any good?

the original british version included the end where Ishmael was rescued. The original american did not. So there was a huge gulf in critical reception

Well irrc the British version is the one that had the epilogue, so you should probably go with that version

This one.

some old Library of America Yale edition from the early 60s with copious footnotes from the time right before literary criticism went full retard

feels based

there's about 1-2 footnotes per page, don't know how footnotelets even read moby-dick

So you're saying footnotes are good? I've heard so many people say they aren't even necessary for Moby Dick, I honestly don't know what to think now.

Would also like to know about the footnotes desu

I always like footnotes but I find these are especially great. Like I said, it's from that time before critical theory took off, so there's no bullshit queer theory junk in the footnotes. They just want to teach and inform the reader well.

The edition is actually called The Library of Literature with notes by some Yale prof.

epilogue ruins the story

Someone had to live to tell the story user

yes and he lived after that, but we don't need to hear all about it. it's a novel, we can figure it out.

The first American edition is the standard for the American novel.

This one? If so, I agree it's great. I have 3 and this one is my favorite.

Couple of the pics inside

I've got this edition (Random House, 1930). No idea how it holds up but the pictures and print are quite pretty.

why dies wales aint white niqqa

Oxford classics are usually a safe bet. I read the Franklin Library and it had really some really nice prints of period whaling paintings and was overall top quality.

As long as it's not abridged it doesn't matter too much

You have it precisely backwards. The British version lacked the epilogue which led them to think it was retarded. Literally 5 seconds on wikipedia would have told you this.

Also the British version was censored and had a lot of fag stuff and shots at royalty taken out.

that's because Americans are always better

>5 seconds on wikipedia
I would rather be incorrect on a badly remembered obscure fact in a field that is not my own than be a wikipedia scholar.

apparently you'd rather be hyperbolic than say anything of substance as well.

It was cheaper than the other editions but it also isn't a pleb tier mass market paperback

It also has a cute portrait of Melville on the inside of the front cover which is kinda cool.

Looks girly
Not a good look for one of the most masculine books ever

Melville was pretty clear that he didn't want any of the covers to have a whale depicted (since its an allegory), so the only acceptable cover itt is the orange one.

But the real question is boys: which version is the best?

Content is great, I have this too. However the quality of the cover sucks, it is falling to bits and I have only read once. Going to buy a more expensive edition at some point, as this one will not last.

Well, was it worth it? I saw you today. A ruined woman. Ruined. You looked devastated. The best part? You did it to yourself.

Worth it?

yes, my man

its a great edition

do not all editions have the illustrations?

Is this one good?
Does the Oxford contain the British publication...? If so, is this a bad thing?

I have this one too. A gift from my uncle. some of the notes are a little spergy but I'd say the majority of them were helpful.

Do you post here often? I swear I can recognize you by your posts.

I only use the ultra-rare first edition when it was called "Muh Dick."

the cheapest I could find

Which three? Rank

I did some searching and stumbled upon this: quora.com/What-version-of-Moby-Dick-contains-the-original-illustration-and-book-design

The guy mentions faulty quotation marks in the Norton Critical Edition. Unfortunately the link to his blog he provides no longer works.
Anyone know what's up with that?

its fucking hideous

>quora.com/What-version-of-Moby-Dick-contains-the-original-illustration-and-book-design

And yet, it's only one little mistake that can be corrected rather easily. Norton will release a third edition pretty soon anyway, so let's hope they change that there.

Library of America ftw

Anyone know about these ones?

haven't heard much on this one
that one is shit

meant to reverse what I said. The UCpress is shit and way to large with fancy illustrations the make the book more entertaining for children. I don't know about the penguin deluxe

Does anybody know if the edition mentioned here contains the same footnotes as the one in >pic related

I don't really no for sure. Can anyone who owns the bantam classics one confirm?

I got the loa paperback cause I didn't want a whale on the cover

Are those all yours? Do they read well?

Is this version good? It has the epilogue. I know that the cover is bad btw.

You're high as hell.

The Bantam does not include Harold Beaver's copious notes, but it does have a couple of essays in the back. I can't attest to their quality or usefulness since I only saw it in a sale bin (I didn't get it because the cover was almost falling off the hinges).

I've always hated that Norton's Critical Editions do footnotes instead of endnotes. Really throws off the pacing.

I like the Penguin Classics cloth cover series

endnotes are fucking disgusting

footnotes all the way

I have the Norton Critical and the Arion Press facsimile hardcover.

Nice. This is the GOAT version imo.

This. Pls respect Melville's wishes

I have that one and it's fine bro and cheap af

This one is fantastic. N-N text, built well, great font, and easy to transport. A great durable read.

Not to be that senpai, but that series is very unaesthetic.

only good answers itt

This is the edition I intend on purchasing

Actually if Melville didn't want a fucking whale on the cover they would be:

Have this one and it's pretty good so far

that one and a penguin one

great for bus rides

It's very hit and miss

this one

>commentary by Harold B-

almost

How is this edition?

I bought this copy a couple of years ago. It only has a couple footnotes, but too cheap to buy a different ond

Some covers like Paradise Lost are good

Guys, which edition is undoubtedly the most patrician one to buy? I want a text where I can enjoy the reading experience throughout the entire book (this doesn't necessarily mean footnotes, but possibly) Basically, if I want to read Moby Dick right, what should I choose?

For footnotes, go for the orange Feidelson Jr edit or the Harold Beaver edit (good look finding either of those though) the Feidelson with the ghost ship on isn't very durable. If you don't want footnotes, go with penguin deluxe or library of America solo. These should have endnotes.

ditto

but it has been ruined by a certain young child

wanna FUGG?