Redpill me on NYRB. What are your favorites?

Redpill me on NYRB. What are your favorites?

Other urls found in this thread:

u.pomf.is/btrkrp.rar
amazon.com/Classics-Anniversary-Complete-Collection-Review/dp/1590173570
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Stoner

There's another title by Krzhizhanovsky called Autobiography of a Corpse which is really good. Like if Borges was Russian.

The only other one I've read is Malaparte's The Skin, neither here or there on that one.

The Anatomy of Melancholy is their most based offering.

Black Wings Has My Angel is a decent noir novel with an uncommonly nihilistic ending even for that genre.

Can't think of any JYRB editions I own off the top of my head since all my books are in storage.

The Peregrine
Hard Rain Falling
Life and Fate
Skylark
Warlock
Morte d' Urban

I used to like them but they publish a lot of bullshit. Specifically tons of well-liked books with interesting titles that turn out to be stupid boring realist novels

go back to r/books then

>JYRB
haha

i see someone fell for le stoner mem

i can't remember how many times i've started an nyrb edition with great enthusiasm only to stop with equal or greater enthusiasm

that said, novels in three lines by felix fenon is excellent

i quite liked the glass bees

i agree with others that they generally put out a lot of mid-tier fiction

Walser is great (but I will say that their latest collection of his writing, Girlfriends, Ghosts..., was very mediocre).

The only book by them that I've read rhat I haven't liked is To Each His Own by Leonardo Sciasca. It was shit. The rest are great

i couldn't get the nyrb version of this for a reasonable price, grabbed a different version of it, hoping it's good.

These two are very short and very good.

you didn't like it? well, to each his own

Haha nice

anyone have the one torrent file full of these? thanks.

Beware of Pity and Chess Story by Zweig.

Unbelievable author, captures the fluttering of the human heart more than 99 percent of authors. Think a more baroque, passionate Thomas Mann.

Fuck I'm seeding the torrent but have no idea how to retrieve the magnet link, and I can't post a torrent file here. Any ideas? Happy to help if I can.

just use pomf.is to upload the torrent file and post the url on here.

er, sorry, it's nya.is now.

I read something by Victor Serge that I wasn't all that impressed with. I can't remember the title but it was about Trotskyites waiting for the other shoe to drop during Stalin's purges. I didnt like it as much as Darkness at Noon.

I enjoyed Moravagine by Cendrars. It's a strange book though. It's like parts of different novels got stitched together with some of the rough
edges smoothed over but other jagged parts left obviously undone.

I could not get into The Three Christs of Ypsilanti. The psychologist was too much of a halfwit to take seriously.

One of the few publishers whose new releases I keep up with (along with Dalkey and New Directions). I usually don't care much for the realist and genre stuff they put out, though.
Favorites: Anatomy of Melancholy, Memoirs of My Nervous Illness, Journey Round My Skull, Memories of the Future, Chess Story, Miserable Miracle

I saw they're coming out with some Chateaubriand and Louis Guillox soon, since when has NYRB become PatricianRB?

Its a great file but all the books are from 2013 and before. You would think newer nyrb books would be on libgen or something but they have about six from the last four years if you sort by date..feels bad man..

all the new ones are on bibliotik

hopefully a nice young lad puts them all in a file one day to be shared with the world..

also its in here with the other ones

u.pomf.is/btrkrp.rar

There was some travel book by a young guy who took a walking tour of Europe in the 1930s. Name escapes me, lel, although it's semi-famous, or at least semi-well-known.

That was a pretty cool book.

A time of gifts

Have it on my shelf but haven't read it or any of the sequels yet

I love 90% of Burton's ramblings, but holy fuck I just finished the 35 page "digression on air" and am not fucking having it

His psychology is great and, personally, resounds a lot with me, but I just spent the last week reading aristotle's meteorologica and was not in the mood for more superfluous bullshit on exhalations of the heavens and the unhealthful influences of the south wind

desu I don't think it's a book best read from cover to cover, similar to the Arcades Project. just dive in to any section that piques your interest, and skim over the less appealing ones

Nah I'd say it's similar to Montaigne's essay, i.e., it seems largely disconnected, but has at least a faint ongoing thread running through it, and, moreso than Montaigne, builds on itself.

It's not perfectly linear, but overall follows a rather simple trajectory of (what I've seen so far, halfway through partition 2) background->symptoms->causes->cures.

You can read it at random, and will get the "weird old learned treatise" vibe just fine, but IMO will miss a fair bit of the actual instructional content. But like you said, there's some less-appealing content that isn't really instructional at all. Still think it's best reading in order.

true. I'm personally reading in order but skimming over certain sections (mostly the more "non-literary" ones)

Yeah I think that's perfectly fair. Like in the "digression on air" section I was whining about, there was a bit of interesting content, and one or two passages that I really liked, but a section like that is very likely not going to have as much interesting stuff going on as the more directly psychological ones.

PS Have you been able to make heads or tails of the outlines at the beginning of each partition, with the brackets, sub-brackets, etc.? The outline for partition 1 confused me, but I figured I'd be more comfortable with its structure once I actually read the content in question, but even after finishing the partition and going back to the outline, I can't fucking figure out how he's breaking up and lumping together chapters/sections. It just seems really irregular and I can't seem to understand any consistent labeling/organizing scheme.

PPS Besides that logistical BS, what's your favorite part/passage been so far?

shoutout to NYRB for getting William Sloane back into print
it's a really atypical pick for NYRB and I bet someone put their neck out for it -- cheers to them

Isn't getting out-of-print books back into print their whole deal?

yeah but they usually don't go in for genre fic, especially horror (there's a couple exceptions)
and Sloane is very obscure

Oddly, my reaction to Novels in Three Lines was to stop with equal or greater enthusiasm compared to when I started.

The Three Christs of Ypsilanti is painfully dry.

Other than that I've had nothing but good experiences with NYRB

Fear by Gabriel Chevalier
Stoner by John Williams (duh)
The Invention of Morel by Adolfo Bioy Casares
A Schoolboy's Diary by Robert Walser
A Way of Life, Like Any Other by Darcy O'Brien
Memories of the Future by Sigizmund Krzhizhanozhofzhkrzhsky

Is it good? I picked it up thinking it sounded interesting, I havent read any good horror in a while.

I just bought it. Is it really that bad?

Invention of Morel was a chore to read. I don't like moron narrators.

Haven't read much but I like what I've read-

The Slynx
Speedboat
The Peregrine
In the Heart of the Heart of the Country

I want to read-

Jakob von Gunten
Sleepless Nights
A High Wind in Jamaica
The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner

Would be happy if anyone wanted to recc me some NYRB shit based on my "taste".

Any exceptions to this rule you've encountered? Hasn't really been my experience.

my face for the world to see

It's good that they have it available, but I don't like the edition. It's too big and unwieldly. I would prefer if it was split up into 2 or 3 volumes. Also what's with the surf green/brown/purple color scheme? Very weird and jarring with the cover illustration.

Memoirs From Beyond the Grave by Chateaubriand coming out

I know this sounds bad but I have read 7-8 so far and have not found a bad one yet. They really have a knack for picking great books.

>tfw poor prole

amazon.com/Classics-Anniversary-Complete-Collection-Review/dp/1590173570

That actually seems like a shit deal. 250 for $4037.50? It would be cheaper to buy each book separately.

Eh if you like mafia stories, Italian social commentary, and a psychological narrator, you'll probably like it. It was way too detached for my taste though.

Jakob von Gunten is superb, but I say that as a Walser fan boy.

Thanks these both sound very cool.

>Jakob von Gunten is superb, but I say that as a Walser fan boy.
Yeah I'm very excited to read that one in particular. My favorite author at the moment is Thomas Bernhard and I guess Walser is supposedly "similar".

Yes! Thank you.

>Have it on my shelf but haven't read it

Many delights within.

>A High Wind in Jamaica
>The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner

I tried these two, but they didn't work their magic on me, alas. But then, I'm kind of a shit, genre-tier reader for the most part, alas.

I've only read three of them, but I enjoyed them all.

Troubles- J.G. Farrell
Memed, My Hawk- Yashar Kemal
The Long Ships- Frans G. Bengtsson

Also looking forward to the upcoming NYRB edition of Memoirs from Beyond the Grave.

I haven't read Bernard, so I couldn't say if they're similar. But if you like florid prose, playful irony, and bittersweet melancholy, you'll love Walser.

>Also looking forward to the upcoming NYRB edition of Memoirs from Beyond the Grave.

Pardon my French but I think your taste is the bees knees.

Unfortunately, it is about 10% of the text. I haven't been able to find print copies of the full text anywhere. I was able to cobble together all 6 volumes of the OG English translation through Google Books. I usually prefer newer translations, but cutting 6 long volumes to 1 short one is a bridge too far.

>The Long Ships- Frans G. Bengtsson
Just ordered this last night. Can't wait to finally read it.

its wonderful