Right vs. left

post the greatest right wing book of all time
post the greatest left wing book of all time

discuss which is the better book

Right-wing: Iliad, Odyssey, Bible, Aneid, Commedia. Hard to decide.

roll

Right:Crime and Punishment

why iliad, odyssey and aneid are right wing?

Right: Book of the New Sun
Left: Harry Potter

>Christianity
>right wing

Right wing: Ulysses, Moby Dick, Homer, works of Plato, Aristotle, Dostoyevsky, Tolstoy and Shakespeare
Left wing: Harry Potter, 50 Shades and Hunger Games

praise kek xd DEUS VULT

right wing - old testament
left wing - new testament

None of you have read any of those books. Trading women (Iliad), killing everyone in the palace and exercising your power by force (Odyssey), conquering native peoples (Aeneid) and holding a medieval catholic world view (Commedia) are actions which, if done by any of us, would immediately make leftists call us right-wingers.

Beat me to it

I prefer wanking with my left sometimes just to switch it up, but there's nothing wrong with using the right.

You wank with your right and left wings? What are you, a bird?

Don't forget the relationship between achilles and patroclus

It's even easier. The fact that those works center around Heroes, i.e. the excellent, and not the masses, makes them right wing.

the distinction of right-wing and left-wing breaks down as soon as you add the qualifier "of all time", and especially if you're dealing with singular works of fiction, instead of philosophy.

the obsession with being either left or right wing bores me. i mean, i guess you can't help that competing interests develop tribalistic identities, but still. can't we leave that kind of team sport antagonism for the pseuds and proles?

i'd much prefer if we could discuss everything for its own merits instead of people immediately shitting on it pre-emptively for being le evil right-wing or le cultural marxist

>can't we leave that kind of team sport antagonism for the pseuds and proles?
I wonder which kind of people browse lit

I think there's still something timeless about the measure, and it's still not worthless, despite how poorly it serves as a means of quantifying political movements as a whole. In fact, I think as an art term it serves much better.

People in this thread obviously have a fundamental disdain and lack of respect for anything 'left-wing' in general. But even as someone who identifies as strongly right-wing, I claim there is still good literature that I would classify as left.
First thing that comes to mind is Georg Büchner's Woyzeck, especially in historical context it exemplifies what the left-wing movement in art is really about, imo, and it does it rather well.

*smirks*

I don't know... Revelations isn't so left wing.

And anyways it's not like Jesus or Paul or anyone were denying authority or the old Laws even.

The Turner diaries is a comfy RW book

right wing: il principi (machiavelli)
left wing: the capital (marx)

>implying I read faggot left "literature"

i bet you do, faggot!

but these books were written like, 2000 years ago. it is ridiculous to apply them modern concepts of political ideologies.

TD is too much for the alt-right

This

Left wing: The New Testament, Infinite Jest, CoL49
Right wing: um..... Like all of Western literature sweetie

right: republic
left: social contract
better: kek

Nearly all litetareure by modern standards is right wing up until the Enlightenment.

I'm guessing right wing would be Mein Kampf

As for left wing Das Kapital ,I'd imagine

Oh I read the question as worst or most terrible books,sorry

>TD is too much for r/TD
Okay, junior.

You really believe the headlines, don't you

some of them may like it, the alt-right is made up of different factions/positions like any other group, whats good for one might not be good for the other, a few might resonant with it

Right wing: Any from Murray Rothbard.
Left wing: The Fight Club

Right wing: The Cantos
Left Wing: Harry Potter

>Right wing
Plato, Dialogues
>Left wing
Laurie Penny, Cybersexism: Sex, Gender and Power on the Internet

>Left-wing
"Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire" by Sapphire

>Right-wing
The Collected Works of William Shakespeare by William Shakespeare

I don't know how you people define right/left

>Right
Faust / Maistre's Considerations on France
>Left
War and Peace.

See: popular interpretation

Has Veeky Forums always been a right leaning board?

Considering we were made when /new/ died on the same day as /pol/, you can barely consider current Veeky Forums "right leaning" compared to Veeky Forums of the past, although to be fair we usually become rather "left leaning" around summer or when one of the charts hits the front page of Reddit.

I think it's got a pretty even mix.

It used to be full of Marxists and Catholics. Now it's full of /pol9k/ types

>3 Chomsky, 2 Sartre, 1 Rorty and a Atwood thread(s)
>Closest thing we've got to the equivalent right wing thread is a single Nietzsche thread
I think you need to check your biases desu

Right: The Technological Society

Left: The Technological Society

> can't we leave that kind of team sport antagonism for the pseuds and proles?

who do you think browses this board?

>Shakespeare
>Right wing

Okay

there's "right-wing" threads all the time. why else is evola such a meme here
also the chomsky sartre and atwood threads are usually devoted to shitting on them
i like what we have but we the political discussion does get a little too reddit vs pol sometimes

>revelations

all literature becomes right wing given enough time.

This text plus the gif actually makes a pretty good post.

>all literature becomes right wing given enough time.
>gif has man running away to the left
niice

>right or left
nigga you just posted something not even on the spectrum.

only from the perspective of the camera.

4d chess

I've been looking for a non-Freudian way of analyzing people. What dost Veeky Forums think?

right wing - Eumeswil
left wing - Eumeswil

Socionics

if you want to dilute that relationship to modern homosexuality, you are nothing but a child grasping at something that may justify today's encouraged degeneracy. If you actually tried to read the story, or even older scholarly articles about it, you would know that Homer uses the word φιλία to describe their relationship - literally "brotherly love". Keep in mind the Iliad was developed for an audience of veterans, many of whom saw horror in combat and suffered afterwards – they likely wouldn't be able to cope without the common grieving of their "brothers". Each had a "special comrade" and many saw that piece of their soul torn out upon that comrade's death; Achilles certainly did, and went into a war-ending berserk state to kill hector. If you are actually interested in learning about the merit of the story above "tricky gods and two men who are a little too close for just friends", read Jonathan Shay's work, and note the parallels he draws to more contemporary events. Hopefully you will be able to enjoy one of the most influential pieces of literature without being compelled to snicker about two men sharing in the horrors of war.

read them yourselves and see, you may be surprised at their worth

No, it was one of the most leftist boards on Veeky Forums. After Trump won this board has been infested with /pol/ newfags who don't read (just look at the replies ITT and you know enough).

Why am I even here?

I mean look at this dumb fuck reply You just know this guy stumbled upon Veeky Forums a few months ago with his retarded /pol/ worldview and now he started with 'the Greeks'. Pleb even thinks 'philia' means 'they ain't fucking', and tries to desperately align his /pol/ world view with the stuff he reads. Homosexuality was extremely common in ancient Greece. Socrates did it, Alexander did it, they all did it.

>tfw when no anarcho-fascism utopia

Homosexuality is right wing because it emerges from oppressive transphobic concept of "same gender"

5th century BC greeks interpreted the two as homosexual, retard idiot. they may not have been interpreted as such originally, but its not muh modern deginurrrzy....
>implying homosexuality would cheapen the meaning of it anyway
Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon would like a word with you, Mr.

>right-wing
The Bible

>left-wing
The Bible

>better book
The second one

This.

>if you want to dilute that relationship to modern homosexuality

Not at all. Homosexuality / heterosexuality is a modern way of thinking. The interpretation of their love (sexual or not) is largely dependant on the sexual notions of a given period. In Plato's time it might for example been thought of in terms of pederasty - which was a popular type of relationship at the time.

> today's encouraged degeneracy
Oh that's what this is about. Well.. the greeks were bacchanalmen themselves

Points taken. How do I learn to look at the world more objectively? I do not want to carry on this way

You're cool user.
The current climate of Veeky Forums and social media and politics in general might, I think, encourage immediate reaction to things that trouble us. A good habit I think is to avoid running headstrong with your first impulse of anger, and to sit and think. Reading philosophical dialogues might also help get one into the mindset of not seeing disagreeing points of view as competition.

Not being uncomfortable with your own capacity for empathy is another thing, it will help you to avoid tacit dismissal of other's points of view. Ideology self-propagates by condemning ideas antithetical to it as evil. Maybe they harm it, but you as an individual are more than just a cell of that creature.

I don't get angry with things that I don't agree with much anymore. Your brains won't "fall out" through open-mindedness, quite the contrary as you weigh and measure ideas with more rigour, stretch the brain muscles a little more.

Don't let others coax you into belief. Don't get sppooked

Thank you for caring. I will try. I'm only just out of high school, I hope it's not too late to work on these things as I get going for college. I appreciate the advice.

University
Here are a few things I learned throughout uni:
How much there is to learn about any subject, and consequently I reconsidered my opinions on things I knew little of
Being humble (I'm quite arrogant in nature)
You also don't get to decide your study material, what texts you'll have to read etc. : you will be confronted with things you don't like and once your annoyance with the views you oppose of wears off, you'll see that their ideas arent that outrageous, that they say a lot of sensible things. As a result you will again have a richer outlook, you will get better at judging other things as well

Literature and poetry are inherently right wing

libturds cant rite lol ..

You can claim things blindly all you want, but you'll have to give arguments if you want your words to actually mean something. A liberal can say the same thing and a 'neutral' person will not be able to decide who he agrees with.

>greatest right-wing book
>all books precede the invention of the left-right-dilemma by at least 500 years

deluded boi

>Ulysses
>right wing
lmao

Yes I'll read them, I know they worth a lot.
I have the Iliad here with me and I'm quite anxiouss to read it. I'm almost finishing the Mythology, then I'll read it.

>being Catholic
>trading women
>killing
>conquering
None of that is exclusive to the "right wing"

bump..

dude, does anyone know what shit italians put in their hair to get that combed back look? like even dudes from like 100 years ago rocked that so it must be some rad organic shit, on the other hand if u know some shit i can pick up at target for less than ten bucks that would be great, i always wanted to try that look

>Right-wing: Jorge Luis Borges
>Left-wing: Italo Calvino
>Center: Umberto Eco

pomade, dapper dan.

The right won.

We have actually good literature.

>actually good literature
>Ayn Rand
Summer is here boys.

>Jesus, Raskolnikov, Severian
>not opposed to "the excellent"
>Pagan heroes
>Not stuck in purgatory
>Deepest part of Hell not reserved for traitors instead of the weak or whatever
Just shut the hell up. Christianity is not right wing and all the ignorant Southerners in the world will not make it right wing.

t. reddit

I agree, how did you read my post as me disagreeing?

>Closest thing we've got to the equivalent right wing thread is a single Nietzsche thread
This is why I hate /pol/ so much

fuck off kike

this sounds good and reasonable but it also reads like a manual about being a actual cuck with an open mind and loving every minute of it

Don't worry, you will not lose your personality

Veeky Forums gets patrolled by politically illiterate americans from /pol/ who think idpol liberalism (capitalism with a rainbow flag) is leftism
none of them actually read, they just like virtue signalling

I don't know about "greatest", but:
>Right
Spengler - Decline of the West
>Left
Marx - Capital
Yes, there have been written more modern works that filled in the gaps of both worldviews with modern research that has been conducted since their publishings, but those two give the greatest thrust of each "wing". FYI, don't think you can read the volumes of Capital without having at least a decent grasp of Economics and Kantian Ethics.

>Addendum:
Also, while not technically "Right", Ubabomber Ted Kaczynski's manifesto offered an interesting anti-Leftist perspective. There are also some interesting Nouvelle Droite writers who demonstrate that Conservatism didn't begin and end with Ronnie Raygun. Joseph de Maistre is as excellent a read as ever. Bakunin, Proudhon, and Chomsky offer interesting perspectives from the Left. I'll stop before I begin to ramble.
>Revelations isn't so left wing
Revelations can be viewed as an allegory for the corruption of the Roman Empire being violently overthrown.