A close friend of mine was found hanged inside his bathroom by his girlfriend yesterday evening...

A close friend of mine was found hanged inside his bathroom by his girlfriend yesterday evening? I have taken the entire day of work to process this. It is so unreaI. I saw no signs of this coming. Met him a week ago and he was perfectly fine, we laughed alot. He had worked as a medical doctor for about 2 years, own apartment, nice girlfriend, travelled alot, had friends, family, money. His girlfriend told us he left a heavy amount of writing behind which she did not know about. Im guessing farewell letters or maybe fiction? Time will tell.

Why do people just depart like this? Is there literature on this that you could recommend me? How does someone hide it so well? He never seemed like the guy who would dare to do this and im thinking he must have been in a really dark place to just let go like that.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JXgh003V54s
archive.is/4yFoI/7b8a20ded610c5216705906527b88da85ae6a52b.jpg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

liberals do not have an answer to suicide, besides resorting to hedonism ''enjoying life is good'' and let your tastes define your nonlegal ''identity''

why are you asking us if he hanged himself?

>I have taken the entire day of work to ""process"" this.
Are you a robot? What's your megahertz, if you don't mind me asking?

related video

youtube.com/watch?v=JXgh003V54s

I don't understand the responses to this thread at all. Sorry you lost your friend OP
I'd say the Book of Disquiet by Pessoa has some potentially relevant themes

>I don't understand the responses to this thread at all
He can't spell or use punctuation and this is not his livejournal hugbox. You can't understand because literature means nothing to you, and enabling him to be antisocial is more important to you than enabling him to be prosocial because it makes you feel warm inside to break social contracts and debilitate others.

Wrong forum. My bad.

Suicide, Édouard Levé

>He had worked as a medical doctor for about 2 years,
depending on his specialty, I wouldn't be surprised if this is part of his suicide. Most of my friends who work(ed) in the medical field are extremely burnt out. My friend spent 3 years work in an emergency room and tried to kill himself a couple times. His therapist wanted him to quit, but after the 2nd suicide attempt was documented in a hospital report, he had to resign from the job anyway. Another friend is a chronic alcoholic because of his work as an RT, working with breathing tubes in long term coma patients.

This stuff will wear away at you, even while you're making tons of money. A lot of healthcare workers make tons of money, drive nice cars, have nice lives, so they don't feel like they should express how much the job hurts them. They think "I understand the emotional cost of this job, I understand the pain it will cause me' and don't let themselves express that pain to others.

People commit suicide because they see no other way out of their pain. They hide it because they don't want to burden others or they think no one will be able to understand.

Thank you makes sense. My father is a medical doctor and went from great shape, running everyday to fat, alcoholic tendencies and unhealthy eating :(

Textbook answer but very true.

As a counterpoint, I've a lot of doctors in my family and while there are frustrations at times they all really enjoy their jobs.

>tfw the only person in my immediate family to not become a doctor because I got rejected from med school twice
Life is suffering.

Med is a large field, I guess country and type of work count a lot

see

it was a conspiracy my friend, i don't know if you know about this but there are thousands of conspiracies in this world and 99 percent of them are bullshit. Your friend has fallen victim to one of them which means if there are thousands of conspiracies, and your friend is involved in one, then that means you've stumbled across one of the only real ones. I suggest you read and watch welcome to the NHK, it's a light novel and also an anime and manga, the anime is amazing and it has to do with mental illness as does the book etc etc

>i took one day off of work to come to terms with what happened
>YOURE BEING ANTISOCIALLLLLLLL AND ANYONE WHO HELPS HIM IS ENABLLINGGGGG HIMMMMMMM

Fuck off retard. Its not like the guy you replied to was telling him to shut himself in his room until he reconciles with what happened. All he did was offer OP a suggestion on what to read while you come in here like you know whats going on in OPs head, condemning him for something you have no idea is true or not.
You have no idea whats going on with these people and yet for some reason you feel secure in throwing your accusations at them. Just offer a book or dont reply

Steppenwolf by Hesse
It changed my view on suicide

You know it's not hard to hide things.
But he had a lot of stuff and a lot of people that cared about him so i don't know why he would commit suicide.

lol k.

Robin Williams killed himself. Wealthy countries have higher suicide rates than poorer ones. Clerics have the highest job satisfaction and happiness levels of all careers. It's safe to say material happiness has little to do with true happiness.

Infinite Jest desu

I would also recommend the Steppenwolf. Life changing book.

and you say this with no sense of hypocrisy and no books. kek. user's right, he probably wants /adv/ who wouldn't care he's illiterate. you don't get a pass on spelling shit retardedly on most boards, even if you're going to livestream your own death. stop being a hypocritical babby, it's not a good enough story to warrant its errors.

>no sense of hypocrisy
The only thing that i did that could be deemed hypocritical was not offering a book. But by the time i realized that, another user had already posted the book Steppenwolfe which has beem echoed by a couple of my friends who read it as a good read for someone in OPs situation. But unlike the user i responded to i didnt make judgments about his character based on a small post. I just pointed out why hes retarded for making grand claims about OP and the other posters character with little to no evidence and then continued to make accusations based on these assumptions.

Am i wrong?

Edwin S. Shneidman had a profound understanding of the suicidal mind. Until Dr. Shneidman took up the study of suicide shortly after World War II, the subject had received little sustained attention from researchers or clinicians. But as a researcher and theoretician he helped establish the study of suicide as an interdisciplinary field and devised many concepts now widely accepted.

His book, The Suicidal Mind, is excellent. He describes the dynamics of the suicidal impulse better than anything else I've ever read.

This file is too big to post here; excerpts from that book:
archive.is/4yFoI/7b8a20ded610c5216705906527b88da85ae6a52b.jpg

I'll hang myself by the end of this summer. AMA.

>Why do people just depart like this?

Because the suffering has become so great that they can no longer imagine they might be happy again. Suicide is the cessation of consciousness, and the non-conscious cannot suffer.

Those who have made up their mind in this regard often appear happy, at peace, because they know their nepenthe is imminent. Most often, you cannot track the wish to die to any one event. There will not have been a recent, earthshaking tragedy that pushed them over the edge, although this might sometimes be the case.

There are pits in the human soul of such depths that you cannot imagine them unless you've been there. I was, and the solemn belief that your death would benefit everyone I would not wish upon anyone.

In closing: Sometimes it doesn't matter how successful, esteemed or loved someone is. Their soul hungered for something more, perhaps something they couldn't themselves identify. Eventually, all they wanted was to rest.

I'm sorry about your friend, OP.

>Why do people just depart like this?
Theyve probably been considering it a long time and have come to terms. A close friend went the same way, I couldnt believe it. But the last few months it seems like he was living it up and readying himself for the end. No one really understands why people sudoku, severe depression or whatever sure but it seems a lot of cases have little to do with depression.
But whatever. Its just life.

Fine, I'll bite. Why are you killing yourself and are you not afraid of death?

Confessions by Leo Tolstoy. It's a great book. You'd be surprised how many wealthy people kill themselfes and why.

When you cant live up to your own expectations and ideals why live at all?

Even more why bother living in a world that doesn't value the samethings you value?

You are so at odds with society and when you fail to meet dealines,benchmarks,realizations,and other standards then why bother existing in this world?

If you can't adapt then the only thing left is to die.

Also people are notoriously impatient and have vulnerable and susceptible psyches.

Weather its the immediate attention a crisis brings or the sweet release of final mortality people demand quick and painless satsfaction.

Consider also the loss of control or abdandonment of it by people who are suicidal. Usually addicted to drugs, or depressed, possibly psychotic.
What better way to exercise power than to take your own mortality into your own hands and clearly make that decision that becuase of the way i am and/or you are that my life means nothing,or its not what i want.

They take life too seriously to just enjoy the ride.

I second this suggestion. A very moving, sensitive, genuine work. The greatest writer of the latter 19th century basically admits his great novels were a sham, rubbish, hot air. That he didn't know what he was talking about and just trying to sound clever. Orwell was honest with himself, but never as mind-wrenchingly so as this.

You friend was a souless materialist hedonist(probably not his not own choice). His innter geist knew this, but his rational material brain didn't want to embrace certain things, so he killed himself. You are probably also middle-class trash, so you might suffer the same thing,

Well, where do I begin? It's been years since I last felt joy or pleasure in doing anything. Every single day since I was about 18 has been monotonous and apathetic and the only things I can distinctly feel anymore are anxiety, anger and fear with each one of them fueling the other two. So far I've kept on struggling through life because it's what you "are supposed to do", hoping things would turn out fine once I accomplished "that one next thing" on my life checklist. So I worked hard, graduated with the highest GPA in my high school, aced the med school entry test on my first try and at first I did well there, yet none of these things provided anything but some quick and shallow sense of satisfaction that faded away almost immediately.

When, during my second year there, things started to get harsh, I seriously began to consider suicide. Why should I live like this? What's the point in doing anything if I keep on feeling miserable no matter what? After one year or so, which is to say one year ago, things started to fall apart: I almost made a suicide attempt, took a break from university and came back home to get treatment. However coming back home only made me feel worse: I wasn't doing anything with my life, or even just pretending to be, I was just trying to keep myself distracted all day, in front of a screen. The fact the few friends I had from high school don't live here anymore also left me in an almost complete state of isolation. I should probably mention I'm still a virgin and my social skills are abysmal.

Last September I made an actual suicide attempt, albeit a half-assed one, after which things seemingly started get better, but that feeling was short lived.
It turns out, according to my therapist, that social interactions are crucial to get out of my state of mind, and that's especially true for someone like me, and while I realize he's correct you can't download people yet, unfortunately. I actually tried to contact some of my old classmates who still lived here, but going out with them only made me realize how much I suck at dealing with other people, and that I still have the mental age of a 16 year old.
I'm honestly tired of all this. The supposed help suicidal people are supposed to seek only made me swing repeatedly from periods when I thought I could manage to enjoy life again to others when I just wanted to end it, and the crash from the former to the latter never stops being soul crashing.

I'm tired of all this, I just want to rest, forever.

>are you not afraid of death?
Yes. My mind can't fully accept the fact I will cease to exist and thinking about it is terrifying. But at the same time I feel relieved: I don't have to worry about all the shit I wrote above and I get to enjoy these last few days doing only things I like with zero worries about the future, just like I did when I was a kid.

Sounds like you have been living through a lot of stress and it hard to deal with.

Especially if all you have been getting in advice is "its what you are supposed to do"

Which I find suprising considering the field you are in. I wonder if you are really coming to your own conclusions.

Though that "supposed" to implies you are trying to resolve your autonomy with what the right thing to do is.

Im sorry you feel that way. But a person who does well enough to get into med school and get by the first two years and literally do anything they can put their mind to.
I am sorry that your efforts focus so much on your own self destruction.

Sometimes people need to hear it but you are allowed to be yourself user.

But also consider your values and if you think its worth it, then maybe this is just your baptism through fire inorder to learn the skills and get the tools to be able to express your ideal self without any fear.
I believe in you user.

The only thing more foolish than living is suicide.

OP, read The Loser by Thomas Bernhard.

No, the only thing more foolish than suicide is to not suicide when you hate living.

I'll talk to you user if you want a friend,

user, if your obligations seem pointless, and you know they are a greater metaphysical sense, why don't you go travel the world or something a fuck off the obligations and effort?

It seems to me you are looking for happiness in achievement but happiness is a moment to moment thing not something you earn.

>happiness is a moment to moment thing not something you earn

A truth I wish I had learned sooner.

liberal detected

Anything written by Kafka really
start with Metamorphosis tho if you have never read him.

It's never too late to be happy user.

He realized that it would take longer than his life expectancy to repay his student loans.

People who work/previously worked in Medicine, Military and Policing have extraordinary rates of suicide. It sucks. The world we live in is unforgiving. Unrelenting. These people, they are trained to never give up and continue in the face of failure. They become the most fragile.

Everyone has a breaking point OP. No matter how hardened they are. This sucks. But the things that suck in life are part of the experience. Your friend is gone. You need to learn from his life experiences so you don't fall the same way.