Whats the best edition of moby dick? I'm gonna pick it up but I wanna get the best one

Whats the best edition of moby dick? I'm gonna pick it up but I wanna get the best one

Just cop whatevers cheapest desu

Moby Dikk with 2 k's by Edmund Wells. It's more thorough than the Melville version.

i got the signet classics because it was cheapest. it doesnt really matter

Get the Loa edition

This one

>Introduction by Edward Said

O lord give me strength. Does he focus on Queequeg, by any chance?

What's wrong with him?

what isn't?

Explain

What's wrong with Said? I honestly thought an introduction from him fits the book perfectly

I approach Edward "Orientalism" Said with scepticism, finding his criticism reductive and not in accordance with my natural interests and sympathies. Given the immense depth and complexity of Moby-Dick, I expect Said to focus on Queequeg and argue that Melville's depiction is inaccurate and reflective of the inherent racism of his time. That's likely unfair, but I see him as a academic version of Achebe dismissing Conrad.

You know, Said himself is fine and I've been unfair to his work. His legacy continues to stink up the corridors of the university, though. I've been unfair, but I'd still read that intro with my nose plugged.

I'd actually like to know what he wrote, then. Can you give me the gist?

Postcolonialism

For actual additional content and scholarship? Norton Critical.

Is there an abridged Moby Dick that takes out the endless reams of cetology bs and leaves in the good stuff (nailing the coin to the mast, etc), kind like what Jefferson did with the NT?

t. Patrician in a hurry

I fear my prejudice was not inaccurate, then.

When I approach Moby's Dick, postcolonialism is one of the last tools I'd take out of the interpretive box.

Has there not been 10 of this same thread already this week?

I don't get the cetology hate. I found the outdated science really cool and thought it added a layer to the book (discussing the vastness and beauty of whales, giving them something of an unknowable quality due to the gaps in knowledge).

Not gonna make it.

I like how it's a nice reference to eaely American writers like Emerson, and Thoreau, where they would talk about the different resources in the New World to convince people to immigrate here. I'm not sure if the same was done for the Gold Rush, but I would presume that they did

>Said himself is fine and I've been unfair to his work. His legacy continues to stink up the corridors of the university,

Oh bullshit. A million academics have had their ideas distorted and parodied by trendy academics wannabe-celebrities looking for the next big thing, you can't blame Said for that.

Is there an abridged version without the outdated take on Muslims?

This one.
>cheap
>has introduction
>has epilogue
>has endnotes

The Norton edition has their usual ugly font but at least they use footnotes rather than endnotes.

Footnotes are ugly as shit.

>ruining Moby Dick with footnotes
ISHYGDDT

The best edition is one that is read
Once there was someone on Veeky Forums with that one, but they're long gone

This is the 3rd thread about Moby-Dick editions this week
Just get one

I second this.

Northwestern-newbury text, editoed by herschel and parker, solid contexts and critical comments at the end, generously footnoted.

This is the one to get

Everyman's Library

Yes, it's Northwestern-Newberry, and it's a beautiful hardcover.

best one is the one with the big whale

>this shit again

THE CETOLOGY IS INTERGRAL TO THE UNDERSTAND OF THE WHALE AS A BOTH MUNDANE AND SUPERNATURAL BEING IN THE CONTEXT OF THE BOOK AND THE 19TH CENTURY WHALING INDUSTRY

TO SKIP THESE PARTS IS TO SKIP HALF OF THE BOOK IN EVERY POSSIBLE SENSE OF THE WORD REEEEEEEE

>He fell for the Moby Dick meme

>intro by edward said

>t. patrician
Nope

Kys my man.

What's so wrong with Edward Said???

I don't even know who this is... can soneine explain why everyone here hates him?

Postcolonial studies are cancer to put it short.

He was a leftist and this board is mostly fascist.

Why exactly are they 'cancer' ?
How left?