Handmade made to order kuro-uchi wa handle knife

>handmade made to order kuro-uchi wa handle knife
>plastic ferrule is standard
>buffalo ferrule is ¥6.000 extra
Why does he do this?

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Sakai-Japanese-Kitchen-Knives-Yoshihiro-Jousaku-White-Steel-2-Usuba-Knife-/162729239476?var=&hash=item25e36b23b4
epicedge.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=1004&cat=Replacement Handles
chefknivestogo.com/toshhasa16.html
japanesenaturalstones.com/munetoshi-kurouchi-nakiri-180mm/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because no functional difference, and Buffalo horn is expensive.

Also, because you're a weeb, and he knows he can charge whatever he wants to weebs.

weeb knife thread?

buffalo horn has a very similar expansion coeffecient to wood

plastic has a tendency to come loose

a weeb like men knows there are dozens of other knife makers out there who do buffalo horn as standard

How many of them also do the "kuro-uchi" (i.e. the rough, rustic finish) to satisfy OP's autism?

Dozens. Did you think KU was obscure or something? I can literally walk 3 blocks and buy it at the neighborhood yuppie kitchen stuff store

>autistically spend several minutes drying my white #2 knife everytime I use it
>put in saya
>don't use it for several days
>suddenly rust spots
why

Because you didn't give it the camellia oil coat like you're supposed to.

Ambient humidity?

>saya
found your problem

You eat 3 times a day, if you eat lunch at work or some shit you should still be eating twice a day at home. Your knife should be getting used at least once in that time.

Why does it go unused for several days user?

Never heard of that
Perhaps, I live by the ocean
Is that not a good way to store it? I don't have a magnetic knife thing
I work a lot. I do 1 or 2 big cooks a week when I'm off/not busy.

>he fell for the japanese knife meme

Considering picking up a Tojiro DP 240mm gyuto (pic related) as a work knife. Management recently cut our (surprisingly good) weekly knife service and bought a bunch of shit knives and a shit sharpening station. I am most comfortable currently with a 10" chef knife. My main issue with nicer European knives is that bullshit full bolster and the weight. Also don't want to spend more than $100 US on the knife I will learn to sharpen with.

Tojiro DP is great for the price you can't go wrong with it.

Appreciate the feedback. Any thoughts on a whet stone to get started with? Was looking at a king 1000/6000 but I'm concerned that the VG-10 steel core might need something a little more abrasive to get the job done.

1000 grit alone can get any knife very sharp.

If you want something coarse to complement the 1k/6k stone look for something in the 300-500 grit range.

Buy a bulk lot of those silica gel packets, and just leave it in that when you're not using it.

I'd go 1k/4k to start- a sixfold jump in grit is a bit extreme for 1 step. Add an 8k or 10k finishing stone as your next addition.

>by the ocean
It's ambient humidity. Give your blade a light coat of oil to help prevent this issue, or force a patina on it.

What kind of oil should I use?

I regularly speak with a vendor of knives, and he has his own handles custom-made and shipped in to be fitted to blades. Buffalo horn ferrules, metal or (assuming) paper spacers, and ebony wood. They look fantastic.

All the handles are fitted to order on any blade that arrives in-store without a handle. The most basic handle, ebony wood with a white spacer and black horn, is free, but a variety of handles are available in ascending price ranges all the way up to an ebony wood handle with a double metal spacer a blonde/marble ferrule and endcap, which costs about an extra 80 bucks.

I asked him once why the handle upgrades are so expensive at 80 bucks - and he told me that he sells them individually as well. He receives many orders for them, and they're 250+ each.

Point being that handle upgrades for 6000 yen are fucking cheap comparative to their individual value, and the reason they're expensive is because people will gladly pay the extra dosh instead of making their own.

>materials cost money
Whoa, never considered that before, glad we got a knife maker to clear that one up

The point is it's unusual for it to be an "upgrade" at all at this level. Buffalo is **standard equipment** and built into the knife's normal pricing. Plastic ferrule is typical on crappy, $45 knives.

This is like ordering wine at a michelin-starred restaurant and when they arrive with the bottle they say "oh btw here is a dixie cup, if you want to drink it out of a real glass, that's $30 extra"

Also, an octagonal ho wood handle with a buffalo ferrule **retails** for under $50, in the US, after import, taxes, and middle man fees. It's a free country and your guy can charge whatever he wants, but, no, $250, he's got some gullible customers, it would seem.

DPs need to be thinned aggressively out of the box, and on a 1k, your 240 is going to take about fifty years to get it done

Pick up a 400 grit beston or something along those lines. Also ignore the person telling you to get a 10k stone for a VG-10 cooking knife, he apparently confused that thing for a straight razor

>Buffalo is **standard equipment**
No, it isn't. Ho-wood handles traditionally are meant to be easily replaceable, and plastic ferrules are standard to match that. You can find buffalo horn standard with upscale knives, but you're looking at upwards of $300 there. Your "made-to-order" knife-maker is probably just trying to rip you off if you're paying more than that.

Since your ho-wood handles are cheaper than potatoes or whatever, why are you bothering to ask such an inane question when you already know the answer?

Classic mix of a few half-truths blended in with hilarious nonsense.

I can't tell if you're pretending to be retarded for attention, or if you live in some backwards country where everything costs 3x more than it should and you think everywhere is where you live, or if you're a butthurt knife maker who thinks he can defend his retardo pricing on the internet - which is it, user?

You haven't actually bothered refuting any of the points, and have instead descended into childish name-calling.

One more argument on the internet victory for me, eh? And yet for some reason, that achievement rings rather hollow...

Why should I give you a point by point refutation when everything I posted, despite what appears to be an attempt on your part at "refutation", can be easily checked through a quick search of google, ebay, and the major internet knife vendors, and when your argument is fully incoherent to begin with?

But thank you for clearing up my question, albeit indirectly. You are here for attention. Here is your (You)

>i shouldn't have to answer you
>you can check through all these sources i'm not going to list
>it's really easy to disprove you, honest, but i'm just not going to do so because reasons

mfw

>I love filling out captchas!
Good for (You), also I see we've reached the point where you reach for your reaction photo. How long before we get to the Taylor Swift photoshops?

>no mention of knives in post
Yeah... I know how this ends. It's been fun, really, but I'm not gonna bother responding anymore.

Good, fuck off back to your tendies threads

And for the people who actually cook, here's a relatively unknown $120 knife with a buffalo handle:

ebay.com/itm/Sakai-Japanese-Kitchen-Knives-Yoshihiro-Jousaku-White-Steel-2-Usuba-Knife-/162729239476?var=&hash=item25e36b23b4

Here's a stand-alone handle at a significant markup:
epicedge.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=1004&cat=Replacement Handles

Here is a classic trash knife that comes with a plastic ferrule:

chefknivestogo.com/toshhasa16.html

And here is a knife considered to be among the best smiths today, with buffalo as standard equipment, for significantly less than $300

japanesenaturalstones.com/munetoshi-kurouchi-nakiri-180mm/

Fucking hell, I haven't seen that reaction image in years.

Sage for off-topic garbage.

If you have even a trace of moisture on the knife it’s certainly not drying in there

Leave it out for an hour if you live in a humid place

Might want to oven dry the saya at low temperature too

>JNS
>$100 shipping

no

It's $30, stop being such an Australian

Yeah, this follows with my own research, that I might need a more aggressive grit for the harder steel. Although I have not heard about the DP needing thinning ootb. Care to elaborate on why that might be needed? I'm familiar with the concept but this will also be my first foray into sharpening as well so any feedback is appreciated.

Because it wedges, because it's an axe. Probably a good decision since it's an entry level knife and look what happens when noobs get their grubby hands on shuns and globals for the first time. Chip city.

But if you're using it to cut food and not to chop wood or pry open jars, a thinner edge will be less obnoxious when you're cutting carrots and parsnips and so on.

>$60 kyocera ceramic santoku holds a sharper edge for years at a time

Okay, so it's not suitable for commercial use. But I've had the fucking thing for almost a decade now without a chip and only had to sharpen it twice.

It's not the ultimate knife for every purpose, but it is a great set of compromises.

>And here is a knife considered to be among the best smiths today, with buffalo as standard equipment, for significantly less than $300

gee I wonder why lolol

>yfw you realize a 12 buck knife from walmart preforms just as well if not much better than your 6 gorrilion dollar nip knife

Because you're using a carbon steel knife instead of stainless steel knife.

> I wonder why
Because it’s really not that expensive and treating it like an optional luxury upgrade is fucking weird

those buck knives are easy to sharpen for the same reason they lose their edge in no time

shitty cheap 420 stainless

nice fedora

a 12 buck knife from walmart does not, in fact, perform as well as a more expensive knife.

same goes for sunglasses and shoes and literally everything else. Especially with tools, you actually do just get what you pay for.

>literally can't chop

He's probably a retard but knives are one of the best examples of diminishing returns as you increase price. Sunglasses and shoes actually are too lol. Unless you just want the absolute best/most exclusive you can afford for amusement's sake, which is something I support heavily btw, the idea is to find the balance where you spend just enough to get the best knife possible without wasting any money

Here's the thing - /k/tards come to Veeky Forums thinking that they can make everything about their dumb ninja stabby toys, not realizing that there are people who actually use their knives and have direct experience with the differences between good quality knives made for cooking, and bottom of the barrel knives made to look like something from a frontier period drama or a computerized murder simulator

>/k/tards come to Veeky Forums thinking that they can make everything about their dumb ninja stabby toys

No, I don't think that's it at all.

At best it's /out/fags who try to do everything with their camp knife, but I suspect it's just poor flyovers who literally don't understand why you'd shop anywhere other than Walmart.

Except that the diminishing returns window happens between $100 and $400 (depending on the style, size, and purpose of the knife)

For sunglasses, around $100-300 (again depending on whether it's prescription and various other factors)

But angry NEETs will always act like their $10 gas station garbage is just as good as my Randolph shades or Takamura chef knife, because as far as they're concerned $100 might as well be $1 million, either way it's way outside of their grip