Ruling is hard. This was maybe my answer to Tolkien, whom, as much as I admire him, I do quibble with...

>Ruling is hard. This was maybe my answer to Tolkien, whom, as much as I admire him, I do quibble with. Lord of the Rings had a very medieval philosophy: that if the king was a good man, the land would prosper. We look at real history and it’s not that simple. Tolkien can say that Aragorn became king and reigned for a hundred years, and he was wise and good. But Tolkien doesn’t ask the question: What was Aragorn’s tax policy? Did he maintain a standing army? What did he do in times of flood and famine? And what about all these orcs? By the end of the war, Sauron is gone but all of the orcs aren’t gone – they’re in the mountains. Did Aragorn pursue a policy of systematic genocide and kill them? Even the little baby orcs, in their little orc cradles?

now that the dust has settled can we agree that he's a genius who proves autistic micromanaging is equal to good writing?

Q U I B B L E
U
I
B
B
L
E

He barely focused on any of that stuff though. When did he write details about tax policies in his books? Not that medieval ones were that complex but when did he do such a thing?
Plus, he still can't write for shit. He really needs a person to closely edit his books. Many of the descriptions he makes about characters and scenes and situations are pretty immature.

>autistic micromanaging
how would describe the task of creating multiple languages and alphabets as well as reams of mythical and historical texts which are still being edited through today?

I'm not a defender of Tolkien's prose nor a fan of fantasy in general, but no one has ever worked so hard to create the trappings of a real fantasy world than our guy

>obese pervert that can't finish a series
vs
>war veteran/oxford professor
hmm

Seriously though. Did they genocide the orcs?

>The sight of their arousal was arousing

>GRRM
>JRR Tolkien
This guy has a complex he needs to get rid of

Actually, hold on, does he even really truly have the "RR" middle initials? Or did he just add them in as a kind of pen name, to appeal more to people who buy fantasy novels?

He was George Raymond Martin but he added a Richard in there so he could call himself GRRM

Richard was his confirmation name

>My shareholders, you pay taxes to no one.

Really powerful line that had me tearing up a bit.

>but he added a Richard in there so he could call himself GRRM

You choose your own confirmation name.

I seriously don't understand why he's so obsessed with Tolkien

>When did he write details about tax policies in his books?
I can think of a few examples.
Littlefinger's levy on refugees to King's Landing
The "dwarf's penny" (tax on prostitution)
Daenerys' multiple taxes on the families of Mereen
Jon Snow's entry tax on wildlings passing the Wall
Various import taxes at the ports (White Harbor, Oldtown, etc)

I'm sure there's more, but I haven't read the series recently.

I disagree that those are his "most memorable lines". In a 5 book series of massive books, you will find bad examples.
"The sight of their arousal was arousing."
That's intentional.

Massive inferiority complex.

GRRM doesn't even measure up to Robert E. Howard much less Tolkien.

What books were those? I never finished the series after the 3rd book.

It's not a big enough takedown when comparing gurm to literature. It would be much funnier to have his writing compared to superior writing from pulp hacks.

This is irrelevant. The man is, objectively, a complete hack.

Saged and reported.