I've been told I shouldn't read sad and depressing books because of my depression diagnosis and start reading some...

I've been told I shouldn't read sad and depressing books because of my depression diagnosis and start reading some cheerful books. Are there really any cheerful books except YA and genre fiction? Are there any cheerful classics?

Pride and Prejudice.

Swift
Cervantès
Molière

The Pickwick Papers
Jeeves and Wooster

Taylor Swift?
I've read Swift and Moliere, nope, they're not cheerful.

Read Moby Dick

Not even joking. It'll kill your depression forever.

Sense and Sensibility
Pride and Prejudice
Mansfield Park
Emma
Northanger Abbey
Persuasion
A Christmas Carol
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
King Solomon's Mines
The Old Man and the Sea

What stupid advice. If you read cheerful books you'll only be reminded of how devoid your own life is of happiness. If you read unhappy books written by unhappy people you'll find a kindred spirit.

Read anything from Nietzsche

Cannery Row

How's that working out for you, user?

>I've been told
Maybe if you thought for yourself you wouldn't be so depressed. Eat shit, faggot.

I've been told by a professional therapist you cancerous autist. If a doctor told you to drink meds for your fever to go away, would you drink clorox instead?

three musketeers, definitely. It's funny, too.

Read Lin Yutang's The Importance of Living.

Ulysses, Anna Karenina, Nietzsche's later work to name a few.

Although now that I think of it, I can't really think of any literature that's depressing. Either a work provides an idea to strive for or an idea to avoid.

>a professional therapist

90% of these are idiots. They can't "treat" your depression the way a real doctor can treat a fever.

I am a therapist and this is true.

Agreed with most of the list there, no passionate opinions on the rest, except for Old Man. That shit is the most depressing thing I've ever read. It deserves to be thrown out the window, stampedoed by a wild rabid elephant heard, then outright burned, and erased from existence by inquisition.

As for sound advices:
Divine Comedy - Dante
En Route - Huysmans
Captain Fracasse - Gautier
Black Tulip - Dumas
Sidhartha - Hesse

I guarantee that's true as well. Had one of them calmly explain to me that all they do is mishmash. They do study psiche, and know a lot about it, but they have no effect over it unless the recipient is willing to believe in their snakeoil routine. Belief is absolutely vital, and it explains religions powerful as anti depressant.

Something by Jack Handey, funny stuff

Don't worry, I talked to one of the 10%. 95% of the "real" doctors that treat fever are also idiots though.

>90% of these are idiots
>I am a therapist and this is true
Yeah, I like how you admit that you are idiot.

You are a retarded incest. Go light a candle in a church when you have bronchopneumonia, don't drink antibiotics.

I mean, am I getting memed? Inferno cheerful?

>snakeoil routine
This implies you can never pinpoint the causes of one's depression and correct them, at least partially, but that's just not true.
I agree that belief is important, but you should ideally believe in your capability to change, not vague optimistic nonsense.

>thinks therapists are equitable to medical doctors

>Molière is not cheerful
Do you lack a sense of humor?

Not implying that at all. They can find the causes and study them, but they can't do shit about them. Mental health is a natural internal process, only person involved has power over it. Pills are proven to do more harm than good, but they have powerful pharmacy companies behind them, and they still have great placebo effect on certain patients that believe in them, so they stay. And psychotherapy is just counselling. Person I'm talking about is university profssor

I see you are in need of some strong sedatives. Your comprehension and rage towards religion are concerning for your mental health.

The Divine Comedy

Came in here to say this, do it op it's like 150 pages.

How? I don't believe you.

>The Divine Comedy.

try "propos sur le bohneur" (literally "words about happiness") from Alain. It's tainted by a fair amount of pseudo-philosophical bullshit but the bastard is pretty eloquent and somehow throws some pretty reasonable thinkings

ok I'm never mentioning depression or anything psychological here. Veeky Forums seems to have some serious issues and prejudices against depression, although DFW is trendy here. Trying to convince that depression is a real mental illness here is like trying to convince some Twilight fanpage that Twilight doesn't have any artistic value.

what if you sad so hard you break your brain and get anti depression

I am one of the 10%, obviously.