“Now these [battles] too are over...

>“Now these [battles] too are over, and already we see once more in the dim light of the future the tumult of the fresh ones. We--by this I mean those youth of this land who are capable of enthusiasm for an ideal--will not shrink from them. We stand in the memory of the dead who are holy to us, and we believe ourselves entrusted with the true and spiritual welfare of our people. We stand for what will be and for what has been. Though force without and barbarity within conglomerate in sombre clouds, yet so long as the blade of a sword will strike a spark in the night may it be said: Germany lives and Germany shall never go under!”

Why was this book so great and why did Jünger decide to neuter it?

This is so fucking gay

it's shit

samefag

I assumed the Jews had something to do with the edits but it turns out Jünger just chucked out. Sad.

*cucked

I've always heard that later versions of the book were neutered. What version SHOULD I be reading?!

1929 edition published by Howard Fertig, not Penguin. It will have the extra subtitle: From the Diary of a German Storm-Troop Officer on the Western Front

You're a saint.

>tfw we will never have a Junger lead Germany and esoteric nationalism will never be a thing
Hitler was a faggot.

Early in the book he talks about meeting up with a French girl several times. He doesn't go into details much. Was he fuggin her?

Not sure, but something interesting is that around that scene he threw in a bunch of anti-French insults and mocked this one French girl (not sure if it's the one you're thinking of). But then he changed all that to praise in the revised version. Really lame.

FYI Junger and Schmitt were massive frenchaboos.

Only France reads Junger and keeps him in print.

Yeah the early interwar versions of the book are much better I hear

Why do people get butthurt that Junger got sick of nationalism/politics after WWII?

He saw that Hitler gambled literally the entire future of Germany and lost. Junger, rightly, didn't want anything to do with that shit anymore.

Hitler was a retard.

Explain, is the issue that later published versions are altered, or that all published versions differ from the manuscript?

I am unfamiliar with Junger.

Junger re-wrote later versions (the ones still currently in print, I guess) to remove the nationalism, which was kind of the source of why everyone loved it when it first came out.

Hitler loved it so much that he allowed Junger to publish On the Marble Cliffs, which, depending on who you ask, is either a critique of Nazism or Communism or both. Either way he had realized soon enough that Nazism was gonna be a big mistake.

You shouldn't butcher art regardless of what happens. If he was really upset about Hitler he could've just added a forward about it, no need to ruin his book.

I've found an edition translated by Fertig, but it was printed in 1996, is this version still unedited?

I also want to know this.

Yes that's unedited, it's the one I have.

I read the penguin copy a few months ago. I thought it was boring desu. Mayne it's a crap version though.

kys

>facebook filename
holy fuCKNG SHIT LEAVE NOWWWWWwww

>thought it was boring
Are you a woman?

Yes it is crap. OP's quote, my favorite passage, isn't even in that edition. Get the Howard Fertig one.

Anyone who read this book can you give me any of yours insight to Junger's later works like Copse 125? Was it any good?

This shit and Glass Bees are the only Junger in print, why not put Eumeswil back out there? Quite a timely book, desu.

>frenchaboos
This. Doesn't he also shill some French lit in the book? I forgot, but I think he does.

Ignorant piece of shit. Read a fucking book beside high school level textbooks.

>says the guy who doesnt even read and gets his conspiracy theory shit from youtube videos.

Junger was also in the French Foreign Legion prior to the war