Can Veeky Forums redpill me on the goodreads website...

Can Veeky Forums redpill me on the goodreads website? Is this a website for psuedo-intellectuals and ugly outcast teenage girls? I'm looking for a quality recommendation site that respects the classics.

I mean you aren't gonna be recommended those books if you don't read similar ones. It's not like the teenage girls are picking what books to show you

This, since you don't have an accounts its just showing you trash. If you have 700 ratings it knows that you like reading about mournful South American republicans chased by ghosts written by fascist supporters, and recommends you similar

go back there

Pic related

the reviewers are illiterate pseuds

>Any Rand
>low ratings
>Marx
>high ratings
yeah, you're right.

I mean, Pride & Prejudice isn't THAT bad.

What is it about Hunger Games that appeals to people? I love the Harry Potter Books but haven't read any YA since Deathly Hallows came out. I'm really skeptical about any YA author being better than Rowling.

But that's a correct evaluation.

goodreads is like Veeky Forums in that it is shit.

the beauty of the website is being able to find intersections between disparate works.

looking for the relevant commentaries between kantian and german romanticism? add a bunch of those works to a shelf, then get a quick recommendation from the algorithm.

t. pseud

The only utility the website has is to brag or LARP about your literacy or intelligence.

It's been my experience that if you challenge people displaying or subtly bragging about their account that 90% of them are frauds who crumble and can't back up their list.

It's a social media site guys, it's just literary vanity. That should be obvious.

It was made into a movie that made 1 billion dollars? With a girl as the lead?

i use it to keep track of what i've read and when i read it

If liking Ayn Rand is what a patrician does, I don't want to be a patrician.

It's used by amazon to figure out your preferences and sell books. You'll be recommended what is good to sell.

Darcy! Darcy! Darceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

It's even worse

It's well written, has an interesting plot and raises political and philosophical questions. It's essentially a YA version of 1984.

IMO it's not quite as good as Rowling, but I can definitely see why it blew up.

>practically nothing has a rating below 3.5 stars

What did the goodreads userbase mean by this?

>well written
haha nigga

If you're venturing on Veeky Forums for more than a few years now, you'll find that every other online community is shit. I've tried many and failed miserably. The freedom of speech Veeky Forums offers us is unlike any other place you'll find online.

>well written
Do you mean in comparison to other YA?

>every other online community is shit.
>implying Veeky Forums isn't shit
You must be new here.

Other's are shittier, that's why you're also here.

I hate this so much

Maybe it's just because my rating system is super wanky, and theres a huge difference between a 6, 7, and 8, yet putting 3 stars for a 6 feels wrong and putting 4 stars for a 7 feels wrong. Why can't they just add half stars or */10?

You don't understand do you? If you express your true opinions on a book you'll become a pariah.

Can anyone post the essential /pol/ reading list?

Thanks

autism for dummies

/pol/ is never essential

Historically respected economist with still very valid arguments Vs. hack fiction writer with a high school level philosophical idea.

Read Stirner yet, pseud?

>Marx
>Historically respected economist

An admin there explained why. First of all, it would be complicated to change such a fundamental element of the site. (Their developers are lazy and incapable as it is, adding the option to reread books was a miraculous event.) The other reason is that it is more difficult for people to rate when they have more options. Is this a 6/10 or a 7/10 book, you can ask yourself for ten minutes. This isn't bullshit, it's a scientific fact that if you offer more possible answers in a questionnaire or poll, less people will answer the question.

And, speaking from personal experience, a 1-10 scale is just an excuse for autism, the sort you see on RYM all the time (calculating average song ratings to get the album rating, spending god knows how much time adjusting your curve...). They are just opinions that autists try to turn into science. Five stars are enough for normal people.

>I'm looking for a quality recommendation site that respects the classics.- 37 posts and 7 image replies shown.
Veeky Forums you fucker
>quality
Oh right

terrible bait

And disrespected. So?

t. bluepilled tripfag

I agree actually. The beautiful (and ugly) things that come out of anonymity can't be found anywhere else

>The idea of a group of people containing certain characteristics is merely a spook.
Yikes, you'd think whoever made this could have done a better job with the one sentence describing what job 'spooks' does in Stirner's thought.

But then again, that's assuming they've ever read Stirner in their life! And one never does know, now does one now does one now does one

Haven't looked at in a while. Is there an alternative version?

Of the image? I wouldn't know.

Any "Stirner Pill" emphasizing spooks should emphasize their deontic aspect, though, since that's what crucially makes a spook a spook. Stirner argues that even egoism is a spook if construed as a *duty* to self-interest. etc etc w/e I don't get to make much use of having read Stirner

I don't use all it's features. Like real life I have no friends and don't use it to socialize. Mainly, I use it to save books to my "to-read" list. I have had some recommendations that I enjoyed and never would have read or heard of otherwise.

Honestly, go for it. You have nothing to lose. You don't have to use it like a social media site and you won't get YA recommendations if you don't read YA.

>It's well written
dat first sentence always gets me.

>Marx
>Historically respected economist with still very valid arguments

He's right you fucking pseuds. Das Kapital is considered a historically relevant but outdated economic text.

the manga is better

On one hand Goodreads recommends teenage bullshit by defualt before you rate anything.

On the other Veeky Forums thinks Catcher In The Rye is a good book.

I mean, fuck man.

t. Rupi Kaur

No, it isn't. Read Evola, Russell, Aquinas, Southern, Rand, Kennedy, etc

Like these anons said, if you read good shit you'll get good shit. Especially if you shelve books according to topic, then you get recommendations specific to each shelf.

Why are you here?
You don't even read.