Do you think anime and video games will change the way novels are written?

Do you think anime and video games will change the way novels are written?

In theory, most young writers growing into maturity today were first introduced to narrative by these forms.

Also, what novel is closest to pic related?

do you think my d-ck will change the way you defecate after I r-pe you w-th it

Not everybody watches anime and plays video games.

Nothing more depressing than /v/ pretending their medium has artistic merit in any form of narrative

can't even consider this to be literature m8

>anime
>video games

fuck off to /r9k/, loser

based newbro bumping a thread because he hates it

i a i
here, i think you dropped these

LOLE!!!!!!!!!!

>Do you think anime and video games will change the way novels are written?
Yes. They'll all be shit.

Yeah, trash like Sanderson is already a game in book form.

It already has.

>bookweebs trying to banter

Yes, you can easily see often how light novels in Japan have a different pacing oriented towards an anime adaptation.
Not saying the author hopes for an anime adaptation, but he tries to create such kind of visualization in the head of the reader.

>In theory, most young writers growing into maturity today were first introduced to narrative by these forms.

do u think television shows changed the novel form? that's one of the worst parts of young people, they always think their generation is so new and nothing like this has ever happened before

Stuff like the internet is new and things are changing faster than they have ever before. Dipshit.

>anime and video games haven't existed for more than fifty years

And things will change accordingly. Literature will evolve with the times. Stories will pull new themes and inspiration from changes in society. Narratives will warp and adapt to fit the new social mainstream and rebel against it in their own original ways.

If literature remains static while the rest of the arts and humanities advance forward, we could potentially see books fall down in flames as a popular medium outside of academic study.

>what novel is closest to pic related?
Not OP but what are some similar novels?

I agree, but acting as if you're above these changes is moronic.

Why are Japanese animators incapable of adapting real literature?

Real literature is a spook and Murakami is a hack.

I'd say it's a matter of publishers and copyrights.
All the anime/ light novels / manga world is related through a series of closely kinship publishers.
Trying to break through a completely unrelated publisher, as an anime company, to adapt a book outside of the otaku entertainment industry, can be harder. The book author and his publishing company might have to approve all parts of the script, etcetc, while in the West there is much more freedom to rape the original script.

Actually most young writers are first exposed to narrative just like they always have, through oral or written stories. Most kids in the world don't play video games.

They're not.

bump

This was great

I agree.

Cartoons have been around since 1908 and videogames 1947 at least, had they had any way to influence anything, it'd be already exhausted.

Perhaps a specific genre, but not overall. Fantasy novels post-80s have changed their style as a result of videogames, so I wouldn't be surprised if we get more of the slice-of-life lighthearted summer day stories you see in a lot of anime. I think videogames provide more inspiration than manga for example, since your experience is unique. Tons of people were inspired by Dark Souls to create similar games and fan stories, and thousands of authors first picked up a pen after having fun with D&D, but you don't see the same for Berserk or Trigun.

Yes, see the Legend of The 10 Elemental Masters.

I'm surprised that no "serious" (outside the CYOA genre) piece of literature has used VN-style choice points and multiple endings. It seems to tackle a lot of a problems plot-wise with genre fiction. For example, a reader of fantasy novels knows that 99 out of 100 times, the "good" side will eventually win (with minor costs, e.g the death of a side character) because readers of the fantasy genre want and expect the satisfaction of a good ending. However, this fact removes a lot of suspense out of the plot even if it is well written, because even if the "bad" side seems likely to win the reader knows on the meta-level the author is likely to pull a deus ex machina to resolve the plot in favour of the good side. However, if the writer introduces a genuinely difficult bad(/neutral)/good ending choice point, and does not make it immediately clear after the diverting point which path the book is on, then the reader can only use object-level information to determine the likely outcome, without sacrificing the ability to see the plot threads favorably resolved, since the bad end reader can go back and read the good end. Moreover, it gives an incentive for the reader to place close attention to the details of the characters/plot etc. since that may prove crucial in making the correct choice.

My main issue with CYOA is that having many paths in a single volume limits how deep each path can be. Your choice usually results in 3-4 pages of text and then either another path or a "game over" situation. It'd be great if an author could write a series with a similar premise, but only have 3-4 significant choices. Each book could end with a choice, and instead of being given only a couple of pages you branch out to book 2A for example. It'd give the author much more of a chance to flesh out each branch. It would also mean your choice wouldn't necessarily feel like the "wrong" decision. There wouldn't be one intended path and the rest kill you off or have ridiculous out-of-universe results.

That ain't how it works, Ace. To begin with, you'd need someone who has an appreciation of both genres. Second, you need to acoount for the fact that literature for some 6000+ years only in written form, with oral narratives stretching as far back as there were humans; while cartoons have been going for little above a century and vidya for even less than that. Then there's the whole stigma about both genres in comparison to more traditional arts, which not only leads to them not being taken seriously outside of their sphere but also inside.

So no, they wouldn't be exhausted at all. And if anything, the quality some videogames display is disproportionate to their situation and closer to what happened with cinema than cartoons.

There will be enough social outcasts that can write at least.

I agree, I'm talking about putting one or two choices more than halfway through the book to determine the ending, rather than the "3-4 page text, game over" situation.

desu most young writers write videogame shit. i did it too when i was young

So I'm watching Sky Crawlers now on a rec from a truly based user. And it's great.

Any other Veeky Forums-approved anime for a guy who knows very little about anime? Much thanks, many gratitudes.

Knights of Sidonia is neat if you can tolerate 15fps CGI

Anime is a commercial endeavor. The motives for all involved are usually 100% commercial and the story, characters, setting, etc. are all pre-approved by business types that want to make sure the production is going to make money. In a few cases a director is given freedom to make something more "artsy" than normal, the likes of Evangelion. Even in that scenario, it's still mostly just a money making endeavor. Take that as you will.

True art requires a creative personality acting out of a desire to make art or tell a story that needs to be told. If anyone knows of an anime work that suggests this, let me know what it is, because I've watched a ton of anime including most of the "artsy" ones and I've never gotten this impression, everything at the end of the day is just pandering to sell figures and shit.

Video games offer more promise because one person, maybe with a small team collaborating, can pursue it as a creative endeavor with little in the way of resources. But video games are "games", they're supposed to offer a gameplay challenge, that's the point. Not storytelling. I remember people talking about Bioware being "storytelling focused", then I played one of their games and it was literally garbage. There was a lot of storytelling but it as the level of the Twilight novels, probably worse.

Stories told in games can be told better in other mediums, with no exceptions. Adding gameplay to "unlock" story content at the end of the day is just meaningless busy work. When you remove gameplay and just have storytelling you have a visual novel, which is not truly a game.

Anime isn't exclusively a money thing. Look at Redline. 100,000 hand-drawn frames over 7 years by a small passionate team.

Conversation, TV, and movies are still the first introductions to narrative.

Anime and video games are much more shallow forms of narrative than novels. Their influence on novels will be negative.

I say this as someone who plays video games and has watched a bunch of anime.

I'm a writer and Evangelion has been a big influence on my writing, particularly when I write fantastical stuff.

>the quality some videogames display is disproportionate to their situation and closer to what happened with cinema than cartoons.
Like DLC?