People always talk about how much better homemade food is but never in my life have I had a homemade burger as good as...

People always talk about how much better homemade food is but never in my life have I had a homemade burger as good as a restaurant one. It always ends up flavorless or just tasting like grease. What am I doing wrong?

extremely high heat, you want to sear the outsides of the burger for flavor otherwise you're just eating bland meat puck. generally thin burgers are easier because by the time they are seared in both sides the middle is done. if you want a thicker burger sear it then finish it in the oven. also use high fat content beef if you aren't already

Season beef, dear Patty on high heat
What's so hard about that?

I post the same thing in every "how to make the perfect burger" thread so this might sound familiar, but I'm telling you, it works.

>70/30 ground beef, form into patties
>get cast iron skillet hot
>throw in a very small pat of butter right before you cook, like a teaspoon's worth
>season patties with your favorite steak seasoning and immediately place on hot skillet
>while one side browns, brush the raw tops with plain yellow mustard
>flip, cook to your liking (you want a hint of pink, it shouldn't be medium rare like a steak but it'll taste off if you go well done. medium well max)
>use american cheese. yeah, i know. do it anyway.
>toast the buns in the leftover fat

Foolproof burgs.

1. Use 80/20 ground beef not 90/10 or 95/5 lean.

2. salt, pepper, garlic

3. Grill it over charcoal or use a cast iron pan with butter

I've never tried it myself but grinding chuck at home might make a difference too

(also make sure you invest in good buns and buy all the fixings)

you had me until the mustard

what the hell is wrong with you?

I'll give it a shot. Thanks everyone!

Don't knock it til you've tried it, man. You can't actually taste the mustard once you've seared it and get it on the bun, I've tested it out on picky eaters and so far no one's been able to guess how I make them.

Isn't that how In N Out does it? Mustard grilled? They're delicious.

Overworking the meat, not getting a good temp, adding needless shit.

>Always had demented and/or meh burgers
>Find out few basic tips I've ignored

>Don't add shit to the meat, cold ground beef and like everyone else says an 80/20 blend
>Form patty, make slightly thinner in the center
>Sprinkle seasonings on patties, don't mix into meat
>Of course, hot grill

Got myself a Chargriller a month back with a cast iron grille; use mesquite charcoal on that bitch and season it regularly. Grill every other day now, grilled zucchini is the shit.

>favorite steak seasoning
So coarse salt and cracked black pepper?

I do not eat beefburgers

this.

>dear Patty

let's set so double the killer delete select all

Good input

why? i mince garlic onions and i even recently started throwing in some feta chunks into the meat. along with salt pepper, some worstechire sauce. and whatever the fuck looks tasty. Cook it on low heat till the inner edges start to grey then turn it up let the outside sear and unf.

Gotta toast the bun, man. Also gotta grill the burger.

>worstechire

You're not seasoning nearly enough. Moar salt and pepper

You're making a fancy meatloaf, not a burger patty.

Yeah because people always grill meatloaf.
Retard.

Using your blender or a meat grinder to grind yourself the perfect ratio from cuts of meat you can see makes a huge difference. If you actually hand mince it with a knife you get a mind blowing burger but that's a huge pain.

Salt the patty and brown thoroughly in butter, but not well-done, the meat. Toast the buns in butter.

Melt the cheese on the upper half of your burger while browning. Buy ground steak instead of discarded meat. Do not overmix salt or seasoning into your meat; and 1/3" patties are ideal for most purposes. Also, fuck the grill unless you're using an excessively sweet sauce, the bitterness only contrasts nicely with a sugary sauce or a sweet roll.

Also, stack your patty's toppings in a way where the lettuce won't wilt and the tomatoes won't weep liquid everywhere. Bacon and unfried onions go between the patty and them.

>It's a burger patty I've just mixed in a shitload of stuff that doesn't belong in a burger patty
Retard.

In my experience it is impossible to make better tasting food than other people.
This isn't because what you made is worse, it's because you made it.
You got to smell it as it cooked. You know every ingredient. You have a very good idea of HOW the food is going to taste before you actually eat it.

There's less suspense with self cooked food so you can't ever really be as surprised as you can by food cooked by other people.

good point, everyone has their different style of cooking even basic things that they will taste different that your cooking and more interesting. plus you didn't have to cook.