What the shit

What the shit

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=M8kFqiv8Vww
youtube.com/watch?v=TV3vT5nW_I4
culture.pl/en/article/the-strange-case-of-translating-finnegans-wake-into-polish
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It wasn't written for the masses. That's all that need to be said.

dd don't ask questions it's genus k?|

Haha. I'm sorry to inform you that you have a low IQ. Have fun. Take care.

I read the first page once and the author literally wrote random letters after the introduction, something like "jksajsjashfsjshjdkhakjsdkasjdkasd"

I laughed a lot and never touched this shit again after this.

he smashed his head on the keyboard xDD

Shitting on FW is the worst meme here.

What if I told you that those random letters were modified transliterations from multiple languages?

It's not a gigantic shitpost, no. (although I believe some parts are totally Joyce trolling like its 1939)

The fall (bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonner-
ronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthur-
nuk!) of a once wallstrait oldparr is retaled early in bed and later
on life down through all christian minstrelsy.

Bothallchoractorschumminaroundgansumuminarumdrum-
strumtruminahumptadumpwaultopoofoolooderamaunsturnup!
— Did do a dive, aped one.
— Propellopalombarouter, based two.
— Rutsch is for rutterman ramping his roe, seed three. Where
the muddies scrimm ball. Bimbim bimbim. And the maidies
scream all. Himhim himhim.

Except it literally was

*BRAAAAAP*

A lot of sections, like the Anna Livia Plurabelle section, are quite beautiful and can be enjoyed with only minimal commentary. You might find it rewarding to press on.

What clashes here of wills gen wonts, oystrygods gaggin fishygods!
Brékkek Kékkek Kékkek Kékkek! Kóax Kóax Kóax! Ualu Ualu Ualu!
Quaouauh! Where the Baddelaries partisans are still out to mathmaster
Malachus Micgranes and the Verdons catapelting the camibalistics out
of the Whoyteboyce of Hoodie Head

most of it actually reads like
>–It is a confoundyous injective so to say, Shaun the fiery boy shouted, naturally incensed, as he shook the red pepper out of his auricles. And another time please confine your glaring intinuations to some other mordant body. What on the Physiog of this furnaced planet would I be doing besides your verjuice? This is more than I can fix, for the tiem bihan, anyway.

>Whoyteboyce of Hoodie Head
hahaha

>It's not a gigantic shitpost
That is exactly what it is, though absurdly elaborate.

>tfw joyce will never read finnegans wake to you just before you go to sleep

youtube.com/watch?v=M8kFqiv8Vww

If it is a shitpost, it's still a work of art; the book took Joyce years to complete and he was so tired of writing afterwards he took a break for an entire year.

when i was new to Veeky Forums i went to the library to see what i could see and this was the only joyce they had. i had read that it was experimental, but i thought i could handle it. it was on the bottom shelf, so i crouched down and opened it up to page one. nasty surprise

I've been vary of reading this because I am 100% certain I won't understand anything. However, I don't see myself actually reaching a level of understanding where I can casually pick it up and read it either.

So what's the best thing to do? Just read I through once out of interest, and then read alonside commentary?

Well, at least you were already bent over before you started reading it.

youtube.com/watch?v=TV3vT5nW_I4

Pretty much the greatest work in the medium.

Read with assistance from some commentary perhaps, look into connections you notice yourself and trace them but don't obsess over every little detail because while there is certainly a treasure trove of information in there, it will be impossible to finish or even really enjoy the book if you get down to the most minute of details. If you obsess over every word, then you will likely miss a lot of the musical quality that the text holds which is equally as important as the esoteric meanings

Is the Chinese edition out of print? I'm learning Chinese and it'd be lovely to have this for studying.

>write a bunch of unconnected shit that doesn't even have a plot
>reference shops that only a dozen people have been to
>randomly add foreign words
>randomly reference old literature so people think you're well-read
>bundle it up into one book
>people think you're a genius

Brainlets, do you think it is possible to read Finnegans Wake in another language, or it loses totally the essence?

This

Finnegans Wake may as well be its own language. So yes, you lose the essence of it in translation.

>constant multi-language puns
Do they just randomize that shit?

I will never read this probably. I am reading and enjoying Ulysses right now but this just seems like a whole book of the most obscure unrewarding sections of Ulysses. I have no doubt that it's brilliant but I'm not going to devote my life to learning four languages plus whatever language Joyce is essentially making up here and tracing every deeply obscure reference the book makes to itself and to the entirety of the western canon. This seems like the rare kind of book that both took 30 years of the author's life to write and would also take 30 years to read and fully understand.

I don't think it's even possible to translate it. The Chinese autist who shores it had to resort to demanteling the words and explaining every pun, according to some user who's read it.

shores = attempted*

I've been reading it for three months now. I read it after I'm done reading whatever else I'm reading, in bed, when I'm already very tired. I'm not reading any "key" or criticism or even notes of any kind, just the text. I can usually go through two to three pages before I drop the kindle on my face. I have no idea what I've been reading so far, nor of what has "happened", if indeed anything has. I understand almost nothing. Most days, when I open it to where I left it and turn back one page, I have no recollection of having read any of that. All i know is it whooshes through my head like, say, neutrinos or whatever those high velocity subatomic particles are called, those that you can't see or feel passing through you, yet they might leave subtle mutations. Sometimes I reread some of the sentences, some of them many times over, but not in an effort to understand (it's all probably lost on me anyway) but because I enjoy how it sounds in my head. I've found it helps me relax and fall asleep. I guess I can say I'm enjoying the book, although I'd never thought I'd say that.

culture.pl/en/article/the-strange-case-of-translating-finnegans-wake-into-polish

zimzim! zimzim!

"'Wash quit and don't be dabbling. Tuck up your sleeves and loosen your talktapes. And don't butt me- hike !-when you bend. Or whatever-'"

explain to me how come he mentions 'talktapes' which means audio tapes in a book he wrote starting in 1922 and which he completed in 1939. Before there were tape recorders? He also has them sitting around a TV set-in a book started four years after World War I. Finnegans Wake is an information pool based on computer memory systems that didn't exist until a century after James Joyce's era; Joyce was plugged into a cosmic consciousness from which he derived the inspiration for his entire corpus of work.

>Joyce was plugged into a cosmic consciousness
Is that what you tell yourself to you justify the time you wasted reading Finnegans Wake?

Everyone should glean some self-honesty from this guy:

>>write a bunch of unconnected shit that doesn't even have a plot
it's not unconnected, it's just non-linear and made to represent the dream-state. Joyce said that he could justify every line in the book. which seems obvious to me, since Joyce was a smart guy and he has enough autism to make something crazily complex without it being complete gibberish. he spent 17 years on the book. have some repect.
>>reference shops that only a dozen people have been to
maybe sometimes
>>randomly add foreign words
true, but he does it in a clever way.
>>randomly reference old literature so people think you're well-read
not randomly at all. in the first paragraph he makes multiple references, all of them can be justified.
>>bundle it up into one book
>>people think you're a genius
more genius in one finger than you, or anyone here is his entire body.

What the fuck is your problem

Kek

Read burgess' stuff on fw. You'll see how great this book truly is

Who thought it was a good idea to animate his headstone

Pretty weird reaction to this conventional and drab work.

that's ulysses. joyce died two years after finnegans wake

Two years ago I was entering a prestigious PhD program and focusing on Joyce because I loved Dubliners, Portrait, and Ulysses. To my shame, though, I'd never read the Wake. I'd never even tried, as hard as that was to admit. It was this huge blind spot and area of vulnerability for me. Whenever it'd come up with my colleagues I'd just smile and nod, smile and nod, hoping they wouldn't ask me anything specific about it. "The musicality of it," somebody would say, and I'd say, "Oh God, yes, it's like Beethoven." Finally, though, I had to dive into it, and let me tell you it was tough going. Joseph Campbell's guide helped a lot. Reading it out loud helped. I listened to other people read it, read online commentaries. Eventually it started to make some sort of sense. It was like I was learning to read for the first time again, and in a way this was enjoyable. I got better at reading the book. Soon I was reading entire paragraphs without trouble, getting the puns, laughing at the jokes. I could sort of follow the story, it was like a blurry picture resolving into clarity, or like I was drunk and I was sobering up, I could actually understand it. As I became more and more adept at reading the Wake, I began putting myself to the test, initiating conversations with my colleagues about it, but specific passages this time, specific parts of the book. You can probably guess what happened. After a number of these conversations it became blindingly obvious that I understood the book a lot better than they did, they who I thought were the experts. It eventually became sort of embarrassing for them and I stopped trying to talk about it. And at the end of the day I would pack my things, catch the bus home, and settle into my apartment to read the Wake. It had surpassed all of Joyce's other works in my estimation. Ulysses, the book months earlier I would've named as my favorite of all time, the best book ever written, was now #2 to the Wake. So majestic, so ambitious, so wide-ranging, erudite, glorious, incredible was it that I couldn't believe that it was the work of one man. Best of all, the heart of it isn't complicated at all. What did I get from the Wake, what are its lessons? First of all, be yourself. Second of all, put one foot in front of the other. And lastly, just do it for crying out loud, time's a wastin'!

Truly inspiring senpai. Though i'm not a native english speaker, so the difficulties on my side are doubled...

Can you give us a synopsis of what the story is about?

it's a copypasta.

scholars aren't in agreement over what it is really 'about' and descerning a plot is also a difficult matter in itself. Joyce himself said that-- and I'm paraphrasing, this book was his 'nightbook' (Ulysses being the daybook) and that standard vocabulary and a 'go-ahead plot' wasn't sufficient to represent a state of dreams.
there are however reoccuring themes and motives and some distinction to be made between characters. for example ALP who is HCE's wife (and also a river) wants to deliver a letter to HCE in which she talks about some sort of unspecified (sexual) offence HCE has commited. other things may be the two sons Shem and Shaun who in a way are 'extreme forms' of their father HCE and 'want to become him' or 'take his place'. of course these things sound incredibly vague but this is in a way the fun of FW. It's a linguistic puzzle which may annoy, bore or excite you based on your taste and capacity.