Hi lit my tablet was obliterated by my 3 year old son, and now im pondering on buying an ereader. Does anyone have one...

Hi lit my tablet was obliterated by my 3 year old son, and now im pondering on buying an ereader. Does anyone have one? Do you guys read more? Or is it a waste of money?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.co.uk/PocketBook-840-eBook-reader-GB/dp/B00MBRRNVO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499179591&sr=8-1&keywords=pocketbook 840
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm a paper-only luddite. E-readers just never felt right to me.

they're awesome, but why would you give a tablet to your toddler?

I really dislike them. It feels like when I used to have like 8 gigs of music on a iPod and because I had so many choices I rarely listened to an album and would often not even finish a song. Probably just my personality but ereaders gave me the same feeling. I think if I still lived in the city I would opt for one though.

They never did to me too, but im trying to stop wasting my sparetime on the internets, and doing other activities. Since one of them is reading and some of the books im interested are expensive, ill just download some of them and read electronicaly.

He just graves it and threw it. I sent the tablet to the be repaired but the parta that were damaged arent manufactured anymore.

That's not an ereader on that pic you moron.

I have a paperwhite and it's awesome.
It takes a little while to get used to them, but it really grew on me.

>Hi lit my tablet was obliterated by my wife's 3 year old son
FTFY

I've found I've enjoyed my kindle much, much more since I figured out you can flip the text so it reads longways.
It's more like reading a book's page and less like reading a receipt. This was polysyllabic words aren't split into 4 fucking lines by the tiny width of the device.
Just a protip for ya.

Landscape mode is indeed awesome.
I've been using since i've gotten it.
Holding it in portrait is very uncomfortable.

You can get a Nook Glowlight Plus on Amazon for like 70 dollars. It's really easy to pirate books for it. If you're looking to actually buy books it's probably not a good choice. Who knows how long the Nook store will be around for.

>hey dude, i just read this book that you would really like, I'll let you borr-o-wait

Don't talk to me or my wifes son ever again.

>You could just email a copy to me...

I also have a Paperwhite. E-ink is great. I'm one of those people who read several books at a time, so the Kindle is awesome for me. I have many hundreds of books side-loaded, so if I feel like something different, it's right there. The biggest thing for me was learning to use Calibre effectively. It's an insanely powerful and convenient tool once you get the hang of it.

Is there an e-reader that soesn't shit itself with PDFs?

Any calibre tips?

I just dump everything in there(most public trackers have a 3GB torrent with everything you could ever want), and use it as my main management system. Use the email functionality to send a book to your Kindle when you want it, and it appears on the homescreen of the device.

Kobo Aura One with koreader installed, but using briss (which is free and everyone should have) and landscape mode on a kindle isn't too bad.

Buy Oasis. Even though its kinda pricey, it's worth every dollar. Trust me, you won't regret it.

The ergonomics are worth an extra 150 bucks? It's more than the fucking aura one.

I just have a simple Nook Touch. It's meant strictly for reading only.

Way too many to write down.
Read up on regular expressions. Super awesome for automating clean-up on unofficial ebooks using search/replace.
I don't use the email as someone else said, I just use USB and specify which format I want to send.
If you end up jailbreaking your Kindle, you can use the Collection Manager add-on to keep things organized on your device. Super convenient if you have thousands of books.
Figure out which metadata sources you want to use and uncheck all the others. That way your covers and summaries will be similar in size/format.
Learn to use logical searches to do cool stuff (eg. find all books that don't have azw3 format or find all books that don't have comments).
I always make sure to include fonts in conversion, so you can read in the publisher's font versus everything in Bookerly or Baskerville.
If you have long series, the Kindle won't keep them in order by Calibre's series number, so you'll either have to insert a number before each title or make an ebook index for each series, if you can't remember which book comes next.

One reason I don't use the email method to load books is that I keep my kindle in airplane mode to avoid some of the more annoying aspects of the Amazon environment, not to mention automatic updates. If you plan to jailbreak, this is something you'll want to do. For more info on that, check out mobileread's forum.

>If you have long series, the Kindle won't keep them in order by Calibre's series number, so you'll either have to insert a number before each title or make an ebook index for each series, if you can't remember which book comes next.

Actually, kindle will 90% of the time if you "add to collection" on your device. The only time this has failed for me is when the metadata was missing completely.

Can lit recommend a decent, sturdy and responsive tablet for reading PDFs and writing small essays? It should be something in the vein of the Microsoft Surfaces but more for like 350 dollars.

if i buy an ereader do i have to buy each book by book or do they let me read shit for free?
i dont want to spend billions on nonexisting things, having everything available on reach is cool, but id rather buy the real shit than internet hats

Asus C100 flip

torrent link plz

You'll still have to buy them unless you want to pirate them. However, most "classic" books are in the public domain and can be found legally and freely all over the Internet, including on Amazon.

Alternatively, you can pay some kind of monthly Amazon thing (might be Prime) and get access to most of their ebooks for no additional charge.

which translation of mein kampf is most accurate to the original

wrong. plenty of piracy to be enjoyed. domsome research.
>t. currently have 600+ commercial ebooks

Do any of you lads ever use your backlights?
I found a cheap one on Craig's but it's not backlit so I'm wondering if that's ever even going to be a handy thing to have

OP I just want you to know that I used to read on a tablet, and switched to the Kindle Paper White. Best decision of my life. My eyes are not as irritated and I can enjoy long hours of reading. Also I made up the amount I paid with the amount of books I pirated.

I have a Kindle Paperwhite, but the backlight is cold and cheap-feeling, so I usually just read with a lamp like I would a normal book.
That said, it can be fun to read at night with all the lights off and the curtains drawn, with the backlight cranked up high, so the only thing you can see is the Kindle. I do that when I really want to get super-immersed into a book.

Got one a month ago. I read a lot more and spend less money on books because I can just torrent shit.

>monthly
only if you're a chump. annually is cheaper. In germany, I only have to pay 69 AAAAAAYYYY! a year. monthly, it's like 8.99, which is insane. In the states I think annually is 99, but unless something went really fucking wrong, then the monthly price is something stupid too.

I recommend prime if you spend a lot of time on amazon. ebooks, movies, overnight shipping, free shipping. Sounds like a shill, I guess, but still.

I have a kindle 5, and while I love it, after three years I really want to switch to paperwhite, simply because of the backlight. You don't need it most of the time, but being able to read in the dark seems like such great thing to be able to do.

Say goodbye to the idea of ever owning a physical personal library, fag

shindle PW. Best electronic device I own. The thing is bomb proof as well. Mine has literally flown out of a car window traveling at 50mph then been run over by the car behind and it still work perfectly.

Buy it.
b-ok.org
gutenbergproject

all u need

Anyone got experience with this?
amazon.co.uk/PocketBook-840-eBook-reader-GB/dp/B00MBRRNVO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499179591&sr=8-1&keywords=pocketbook 840

I got a Kindle Paperwhite for Christmas. It's glorious. I never knew how much I needed one until someone had the foresight to give it to me as a gift. I wouldn't have thought to get this for myself and yet it's amazing. Not only can you carry an enormous amount of books with you permanently on a small device that weighs less and takes up less space than an actual book, but it's so convenient to read on. The screen is amazing. It has a backlight so you can read it comfortably at any lighting, and the screen is non-reflective, so you can even read it outside without having to worry about the glare from the sun making it difficult. Also, I really appreciate that it comes with a dictionary so if I see a word I don't recognize I can look it up on the spot, without having to change devices. The last word I learned was fantan. Also, the battery life is insane. It literally lasts multiple weeks without having to charge. Seriously, it's the best. Get it.

I always keep my series in collections, and they show up by sort order, whether you have it set to title, author, or recent. Kindle doesn't support ordering by metadata, as far as I know. They also don't support showing summaries, which blows. They want to link you to the Amazon page instead.

A chink tablet might be what you are looking for. Ask in /csg/ for some help.

How easy is taking notes and highlighting on it?