Japanese Eating Culture

In Japan, people do not want to be seen eating alone. They will feel conscious about others thinking they have no friends. If they eat alone, they will try to find a place where no one can see them.

Often, this place is a bathroom stall. They will take their lunch and eat it while sitting in a stall.

it has its own slang term:
>便所飯
>toilet meal

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yNSXtwdwolc
youtube.com/watch?v=cs0n9Yeu8gM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

user, why do you let this cute girl eat alone? Go eat with her you sick sadistic fuck.

かわいそう

I'm pretty sure this is an anime thing.
Do japanese people not have smelly bowel movements? You try eating in a public bathroom sitting on the stall and tell me you wouldn't want to vomit.

Japanese people are fucked in the head we already know this.

Obviously, but the idea of being seen eating alone and being ostracised for that socially is a bigger downside.

Not every bathroom is a crowded public restroom. Like maybe they are at work. My work bathroom smells great, good to pass the time pretending to take a shit when I need a short break.

Who is this anime?

I honestly don't see how this even applies outside of highschool. What kind of normally functioning adult cares about how they look to the public eye? And what kind of twisted fuck would ostracize someone for eating their lunch. Sounds like teenager problems desu

is it?

youtube.com/watch?v=yNSXtwdwolc

When will the west catch up on toilet technology?

>What kind of normally functioning adult cares about how they look to the public eye?

Welcome to Japan!

>why is that girl always missing during lunch??
>i bet she eats in the bathroom haha what a loser

Japan is a nice place in anime, the actual country is rotten to it's core.

yuyushiki

it's shit

Surely this only applies with women right? Only women would be this vile and disgusting and still have not grown up or matured since school. Just like gossipy sluts in western culture.

Men are above such vapid drivel.

japanese men internalize their social awkwardness and exhibit it in other ways
instead of self-harm, they dive into escapist media and become neets who just wish they could disappear.
you'll see that latter phrase show up over and over, btw

>neets
The Japanese are the polar opposite of neets, retard.

who knows

???

Where do you think the phrase "NEET" came from?

The U.K.

I think he is meaning with how the modern Japanese man tends to work like 60 hour weeks or something ridiculous. I remember reading that one of the reasons birthrate is so low in Japan is because the men are just too stressed and worn out from work.

But yeah there are a lot of otaku hikki neets, but I dont think there is much more than someplace like America or Europe where you can live off government funded neetbux for years.

As an adult, no one gives a shit if you eat alone but as a kid, it's really damaging to their self esteem eating alone in a cafeteria where literally everyone else is sitting with friends.

>I was that kid

Certainly not from Japan my ignorant, weeaboo friend.

Must suck having no friends. I had very few friends, and like 2 of the 4 were also football playing jocks so sometimes they ate with others. But i always had someone to sit with. I turned everyone of my friends into stoners with me, so even if all else failed they would still have me for that and we'd all have each others backs.

Highschool is a messed up place

I never hand this problem.
I was a shameless fucking nerd but I found other nerds to hang out with and we'd play mario kart DS at lunch all the time and play yugioh behind one of the classroom buildings.
If you're so weird that you can't find comradery in other kids your age, you're mentally deformed.

>tfw that was me too
ill just go play games in the toilet stall dont mind me

>tfw have eaten on the toilet before at work because the break room was full of people and I hate the stupid idle chit chat and small talk of all my coworkers when i just want to stuff my face and look at my phone
>tfw took a shit while doing it and didnt even mind the smell

>misogyny on a female dominated board
For what purpose? If you think so little of us, fuck off back to /v/

Japanese people speak Japanese. NEET is an English acronym. It does not come from Japan. It comes from the UK.

I don't like the people I work with, and most of them go out to eat EVERY DAY so I bring my own food and eat it in my car.

It's easy to see why people would think it came from Japan, nips use it quite frequently and it pops up in anime fairly often.

I've been thinking about doing a cooking series where i cook an entire meal in the bathroom

can't decide if i should stir the pot while taking a dump or not

Kill yourself

Why would anyone think an English acronym originated in a country that uses moon runes?
Weeaboos are fucking dumb as fuck.

come on now, dont women talk about how vicious each other are to each other all the time?

Japanese use the term Hikkikomori which is a catch-all term for otaku/foreveralone/neet/sociallyawkwardtothepointyoudontleaveyourhouse just look at Welcome to the NHK, I don't even think they used the phrase NEET much in that anime.

hikkikomori isn't a catch all term and doesn't mean NEET. It's a specific behavioral state that involves refusing to leave ones' room

you can be a NEET just by being stupid or living in the country. has nothing to do with each other

>female dominated board

Lmao? Not even /an/ is female dominated, you baiting retard. With the rampant shitposting on Veeky Forums it's definitely mostly men, ranged from I'd say 16-25. And even the good actual "cooking" threads were made by men. Tell me more about how less than 15% of the sites total population is more than half of a certain boards population. Also a big [citation needed] on that one, slut.

Back to with you, where attention whores like you belong.

>my opinion on Japanese culture is shaped by watching anime.
It's pathetic weebs like you who give us true scholars of Japan a bad name.

That's the literal translation, yes. But Japanese isn't so literal. Hikki is used in many situations. Just like the phrase "kusoge" quite literally translates to "shit game" is really used as a way of saying "bad game that is really fun/that I really like."

user real japanse isn't full of these fucking weeaboo words. nobody uses shit like that in real japanese.

But most neets are neet because of depression and social awkwardness. Sure you can technically be "neet" while you are inbetween jobs or just out of school, but you aren't really a NEET, you just haven't got your career yet.

>Japanese use the term Hikkikomori which is a catch-all term for otaku/foreveralone/neet/sociallyawk
No it isn't, retard.

japan user, please teach me more.

>But Japanese isn't so literal.
It's extremely literal you cretin.

Bro, the majority of people are obsessed with how others view them. Basically every woman and any non-Chad are going to be thinking about how others view them. Even Chads once in awhile.

Don't be naive. Just because people say they don't care doesn't mean they aren't full of shit.

You're beyond helping.
You should visit rather than believing western stereotypes.

but im not that user...

Do japanese high schoolers actually write stuff like "KILL YOURSELF" all over people's desks as a form of bullying?

You say "tfw" but you quote nothing and provide nothing. 1/10

I slightly care about how other people look at me, but I don't get this concept particularly. Like how does eating alone as an adult make you a loser? What kind of adult cares about making friends at work? Hell most of japanese workers are just overworked drones.

You sound like a friendless kind of loner guy who has stopped caring what others think not because you wanted to but because it was a copping mechanism.

Most people will care if they see others staring at them with weird expressions or worse laughing. People react differently to the judgement of others but in the end almost everyone is affected in some way by it.

I mean, I'd get it if I was doing something autistic and people were staring at me, or I was doing something gross while I thought someone wasn't looking like picking my nose. Or just something socially unacceptable. Eating alone doesn't seem like it would be "socially unacceptable" and bring forth judgment and contempt from your peers.

It makes no sense. Sure, I'd rather eat with others than alone, but at the same time I don't always have my schedule lined up to eat with my friends or I have very little time. Should I be mocked for eating alone? It doesn't make any sense, user.

Usually it's a bit more subtle than that. Like in Japan when a classmate dies it's customary to put this flower on their desk as a sign of respect. When they want to tell you to kill yourself they just put that flower on the students desk as if to say they're dead to everyone.

Okay now you just sound autistic. Most social norms and the like don't make sense... we just partake in them to fit in. People want to fit in. Everyone wants to act like they are unique and special, but in the end very few of us are either of those. Even among celebrities and such they are not that unique from one another, and they are certainly beholden to social norms and such.

Most people who never fret over other's opinions are sperg loards.

I eat alone plenty. A lot of the people in my office do too. So I think it kind of depends on your company culture. Also Asians are a lot more collective and probably freak out about individualism

>Asians are a lot more collective and probably freak out about individualism
>here's my opinion on something I have no experience of
You're a fucking idiot.

I used to eat lunch every day in the loading dock hallway at my highschool because I didnt want to be seen eating alone like a loser.
Fun times.

cool your jets Hirohito, I was just offering a possible explanation

You were talking shit based on ignorance and stupidity.

go eat a cat, Long Duck Dong.

I like her bulge

I'm not a slant.
Just because my business means I have to go to Asia doesn't mean I like the devious fuckers.

oh so Asians don't have a collective mindset, yeah what was I thinking making such a wild and crazy claim

Don't you believe it. Nips are devious and self interested. Once you see that mask of polite restraint slip you'll see what nasty, self centred and greedy little shits they are.

Im looking for a Bento Box, it cant be pinku (thats japanese for pink) or any girl color. It has to be of 2 or more kotoba (thats japanese for 2 compartments) and has be be chibi (small) sized. And has to be really kawaii (cute). Also It has to be about 10-20 bux. And you have to post pics of it first (i want to make shure it's kawaii (cute)). And it would be nice if it came with matching chopstick holder (WITH chopsticks). OH! and it CANNOT have any cartoon pictures, or be made out of plastic. It has to be made of ceramic, or something like that. Also it would be nice if it was made in japan. and not in china or corea (korea) or whatever. I have found a Bento Box similar to the one im describing in e-bay, but it was 1 kotoba, and i dont want my gohan (rice) to touch my other things (it can get wet and i would not like that, plus 2 compartments looks more kawaii)

Reminds me of a time when I was a new kid in middle school during the very last quarter of the year. I remember sitting alone at one those really long horizontal lunch tables by myself. An AP had came up to me and said "Why are you sitting alone? Don't you have friends?" I said "No I don't have any..." then she stares at me with this complete look of disgust/confusion and walks away. Now I think about it that lady was a complete bitch. Can only imagine in Japan where if you get a C in anything you dishonor your family.

I-i'd be her f-friend

you would just make it worse

animu girl is embarassed after being caught eating alone.

youtube.com/watch?v=cs0n9Yeu8gM

In Japan, I eat alone. When I'm there, I'm often on "business". When I get bored I go out and make a show of being my invasive, viking-looking, stupid-gaijin self, and I usually have a friend or five by the end of the night.

Moral of the story - nobody likes a mouthpiece, but everyone secretly likes a mouthpiece.

I haven't watched gabriel dropout, why do they kepe bullying her?

/cgl/ is female dominated. Also disgusting.

Satania is supposed to be a demon, so she tries hard to be evil, but fails miserably. instead, the angels tend to accidentally bully her.

except one sadistic angel who intentionally bullys her

n-no

she has autism

You'd think eating in the bathroom would affect the taste.

it has it's advantages, I made a lot of friends because people constantly wanted to eat lunch with me.

nhk was written literally 15 years ago, and then you got the simplified version for anime viewers rather than the novel.
neet phenominon is also more relevant recently due to changes in the economy. shut-ins have always existed and will always exist, but they're the very mentally ill ones; neets simply can't find any viable career paths but would be punished more for settling and locking in a worse path than they are for waiting, and by and large it's replaced the old "parasite single" concept as entry-level salaried employment has dried up.

>>便所飯
>tfw my study of moon runes has paid off

I still can't believe the author became a neet himself.

who doesn't eat in the bathroom?

>take a shit whenever needed
>alone and cozy
>fapfapfapfapfpafpapfapfpafa

But she has friends

>What kind of normally functioning adult cares about how they look to the public eye?
Literally every Japanese adult.

>Surely this only applies with women right?
Yeah no, Japan is such a pro-conformist, anti-individualist society that everyone NEEDS the validation of their peers.

I think they took "go eat a shit faggot" quite literally...

to this day, there are still lonely office ladies, in their late 20s, eating alone.

Those are just figments of her imagination, she's actually in a coma

No u

You're shit, Yuyushiki is a bloody miracle of the universe

Everyone?

>Everyone?

this is really your perspective of life, isn't it? it's so weird how people like you exist, and people like me exist

i bet you're fat

>/cgl/
>female dominated
It's a fag board just like Veeky Forums

Be me
>skip lunch completely to avoid the imbecile >spent lunch break working although nothing to do
>spend afternoon completely stressed out with low blood sugar
>come home, pissed off with work
> stuff my face with junk food and drink myself happy again
> Next day:repeat
Gained 20lbs in 4 months

I bet you wear uncomfortable clothes and laugh at things that aren't funny, and go to social functions you hate being at

I bet you have your lips up some boss's ass

Honestly who gives a fuck? Seeing how people can argue over something that may or may not be happening in a country far away shows how autistically weeb Veeky Forums is.

Now start being concerned over your own lives, losers.