Are you the type of person that would save up all those bones after eating KFC or a rotisserie chicken and use it to...

Are you the type of person that would save up all those bones after eating KFC or a rotisserie chicken and use it to make chicken stock?

If I was in the habit of buying those, then yeah, probably. I generally don't eat meat at home though.

If you took the meat off by hand, sure, it'd be kind of wasteful to just throw it away. I've heard some people say that they'll collect bones people were chomping on and use them for stock because "boiling kills all the germs anyway" which is pretty disgusting though.

Is that the Demigorgon guarding a bucket of KFC?

Ghidorah

Yes, I do this quite often with rotisserie chicken. I use a crock pot to make cheap and easy stock.

That's a smart idea though.

Yes, but one carcass is not really enough to bother with, our stock pots can fit two turkeys or three chickens easily.

So after we pick the meat off we just crunch it down together and wrap it in a couple plastic grocery bags and toss it in the downstairs freezer.

When we have enough to fill the pot, we make stock.

Sure. I go through stock at a mad rate so I'll take any source of stock that I get. The more bones I can save the less I have to buy.

That said, I rarely eat KFC (cheaper & better to do it at home) or buy rotisserie chickens.

how much kg of bones per liter of water?

I do roughly 2kg : 1 liter if I'm using the pressure cooker and thus there will be no evaporation.

2 kg : 1.5 liter if I'm using an open pot and need to correct for evaporation

i always get stomach aches whenever i make my own broth. i am not sure if i used to many bones or something. when i put it in the fridge the entire broth becomes kinda tougish jelly, but i thought that was normal.

>i am not sure if i used to many bones or something.
That's not possible. More bones just makes for a stronger stock. That's a good thing, not something to be avoided.

>>when i put it in the fridge the entire broth becomes kinda tougish jelly, but i thought that was normal.
Yes, that is normal. It's supposed to happen. That gelatin is why homemade stock will always kick the shit out of bullion cubes or pastes. That's what gives texture to your soups, stews, and sauces.

>i always get stomach aches whenever i make my own broth

That sounds odd. I'd be thinking it must be an unrelated factor--is there a certain dish or side you always make/have when you make broth? Do you handle the broth in an unsafe manner?

Traditionally, broth has been used throughout history to feed sick people because it's so unlikely to cause an upset stomach and can easily be digested by anyone, even in a weakened or sick state.

yeah. all i do is replace the boullion cubes from regular chicken soup with homemade broth, but it always makes my stomach feel weird and sometimes an actual ache.

What is your broth procedure? Be specific and detailed.

No

put legs in water
bring to simmer
simmer for 3-4 hours (sometimes boils a bit)
remove spunk occasionally
add other stuff : pepper balls, onions, leek, carrot.
simmer for 30-60 minutes
strain
make actual soup (salt, leek, carrots, celery meat (often beef balls))

Seems fine. You use your broth right after you make it, right? Don't keep it in the fridge for long--it spoils really quickly.

i fridge it for 2-3 days sometimes or freeze it. but thats only the leftovers. i will eat it on the day i make it as well and the same problem still occurs.

Bones actually release a good amount of histamine along with some other compounds that can cause diarrhea and upset stomach. The excess gelatin and minerals can also cause gut bacteria to produce excess gas.

>he doesnt make aspic for cold winter evenings
>He doesnt make a stock for his veloute
>He doesnt even do the minimum effort of making a crockpot stock/broth (depends how wasteful you are with your meat) for his grandmothers soup recipe
>He just throws away all that flavor because its just too much work :'(
I really hope I dont share a board with """""people""""" that are this level of pleb

That's King Ghidorah you uncultured swine.

So what do you guys do? I just get one of these, drop the bones in, pour in water, add some herbs and onions, and let it cook for the whole day?

Making stock involves soaking the bones of a deceased animal in water for several hours. Adding a tiny amount of saliva and germs from someone's mouth isn't gonna affect it on any level but psychologically. I wouldn't spit in my chicken stock because it's disrespectful, but if I did it wouldn't make a difference in the end.

No I throw the bones in a pot, cover with water, then into the oven at 200°F overnight. Then in the morning add onion, garlic, black peppercorns, a spoon of tomato paste, carrots, bayleaves and simmer for another hour before straining and freezing

Yes, just put them in the freezer with your washed eggshells.

Omit the tomato paste when making chicken stock. Beef stock, yes.

No because I don't eat that crap. I do however save the bones from chicken I cook and use it to make stock.

I wouldn't with KFC's ranching heritage. The long hours simmering will leech any lead from the bones too you know.

i only have aluminium pans. those cheap light ones, huge as fuck though. i dont know if it can withstand and oven.

gib me your beef stock recipe pklus guidlines on times.

you're doing something wrong. when i feel shitty, i just eat homemade broth and usually feel better quickly.

PROPER STOCK PROCEDURE INCOMING
>chicken stock
roast the bones in the oven at 450 until well browned, in a roasting pan. deglaze roasting pan with white wine or vermouth. add bones and liquid to stockpot with clove-studded onion, carrot, and celery. cover with water by an inch and bring to a boil. skim any scum that arises. once you hit a heavy boil, drop the heat to 3/10 and add peppercorns, bay leaf, and thyme. continue skimming every half hour or so, it makes a big difference. after about 6 hours you'll have something useable. strain it through cheese cloth, cool it down, and refrigerate overnight. the next day, skim off the fat and reduce it at a medium heat to the desired consistency, taking the opportunity to give it more peppercorn bay leaf and thyme if desired. i usually reduce to a glace and freeze in ice cube trays unless i'm making a soup.

>tryhard beef stock
reduce pasata/tomato sauce with a bit of red wine until it's nice and thick. toss the bones, carrots, onion halves, a whole head of garlic, and celery in the mixture. roast at 450 til nice and brown. deglaze with red wine and continue as above, this time adding dried mushrooms (shitake is good, porcini is better) along with the seasonings. cook for closer to 10 hours if possible.

nearly burnt onion skins actually lend an amazing color and flavor to a beef stock if you get it right.

i still dont get when to use white and when to use red whine.