Overhyped foods

Overhyped foods

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hXXrB3rz-xU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Stop eating shitty American steaks
The only food that is in the same league are crab legs

Oh yeah? Did you finally try one to see what all the fuss was about? Were you disappointed? Did it not live up to your expectations?

No one is "hyping" steaks. They aren't a "meme", they aren't a fad. They are steaks. Eat them or don't.

Shitty thread for youngsters.

This is how your delicious steaks are made in usrael. You want real steak in America? Go to Argentina.
Also your craze for cobe steaks everywhere, while only 9 restaurants in usrael have real kobe beef.
I bet most of that very expensive "kobe" beef in all those "kobe" hipster places is just glued crap.

this:
youtube.com/watch?v=hXXrB3rz-xU

>the city of australia

I think they're a little overhyped because good steaks aren't cheap so people think of them as a special treat or status symbol. I'd rather have short ribs or another fatty cut that was braised until everything is tender and with a good sauce. I'd even take a decent cheeseburger with fresh crunchy vegetables over a steak.

Americlaps have never seen melted cheese before.

Probably turkey. People rant on about how amazing it is but I just think "Meh"

Good steaks are cheap and easily afforded on food stamps. Steak is even cheaper than bacon Maybe are a yuropoor I guess that sucks for you.

Obsessed

Obsessed

Obsessed

american steaks are among the best in the world

argentina just make a lot of noise about their steak but they're not that great

I HATE U AMERICA
I FUCKING HAT EU A MERICAAA!
STUPID AMERICANIS FUCK OYU

this looks like London broil, why is everyone saying steak?

Lol wut. Raclette is pretty good for melted mild cheese but nothing to sperg about. Good with cornichons

The only brand of steak worth eating, desu senpai

Sushi is so overhyped.

Checked. Someone post the packet of grated All-American sawdust that say "now melts".

because it's a steak.

t. Guy who buys Sushi exclusively from Safeway

>referring to every cut of meat as steak because you don't know the real name

>being this dunning-kruger'd

>americans don't get real cheese

meanwhile i'm eating fresh imported swiss gruyere d'alpage

you know what's super interesting? americans can get all things, literally everything, but europeans are restricted to tiny little areas of cuisine, for instance my friend who lives in a major city in netherlands cannot get japanese food ingredients, and no such thing as a japanese or chinese food restaurant even exists

but in america, we can get *literally anything* from anywhere on earth. I can't imagine it being any other way. No wonder you endlessly think and talk about us :(

>but in america, we can get *literally anything* from anywhere on earth.
no you can't.

>literally everything,
Nope. There are plenty of things we can't get due to Federal law. Unpasteurized cheeses aged less than 60 days. Whale meat (I think there are very limited exceptions for certain Native Americans). Chinese Jinhua ham. Most kinds of Jamon Iberico (though there is now exactly one legal import source). Proper haggis is also illegal to import due to a blanket ban on lungs being sold for public consumption (though it is legal to slaughter a sheep and make it yourself--you just can't sell it)

While I agree with your post in general, let's not pretend that we can get literally everything here. Most things? Sure. But everything? Nope.

we can get 99% of everything, in your european country you have access to about 20% of world foods and ingredients

how's your custom berbere spice or ras el hanout coming? oh, right, you don't have gourmet spice shops

just like you don't have a lebanese place down the street from you like me

just like you don't have an authentic szechuan place down the street from you like me

just like you don't have a better irish pub than is usually found in the british isles down the street from you, like me

just like you don't have a gourmet imported cheese shop down the street from you, like me.

I live in about the 20th largest city in america. I can go around within 10 miles and get basically anything I could want food-wise. The ONLY thing we're lacking is a good korean hot pot place, but this is the east coast

so tell me again about my "Sawdust cheese" that i've never encountered once in my life, when you can't go to a store and buy something simple like mirin or white miso at all. LOL.

Anyone can get more or less everything these days. It's called mail-order.

i'm not concerned with eating food that's a. disgusting b. not eaten for food safety reasons

americans can get a much, much, much higher percent of world cuisine than any other country, both ingredients and dining experiences, this is simple irrefutable fact

>americans can get a much, much, much higher percent of world cuisine than any other country, both ingredients and dining experiences, this is simple irrefutable fact

That I'll agree with. Just don't go around spouting "literally everything" when that's clearly not true.

have fun mail ordering that gourmet cheese or szechuan map dofu

They overcook the fuck out all their meat in argentina

I order gourmet cheese regularly. Murray's.com

Mapo Tofu? I love making that, but I don't know why anyone would want to import it as a finished dish. The ingredients for it are all easily found at any Asian market, there's nothing exotic or weird in that.

Though, in the interest of trivia: The Sichuan peppercorn was illegal to import into the US from '68 through 2005. Very easy to find these days though.

>buying "gourmet" cheese that's shipped around by any old means experiencing massive temperature swings over and over
lol

They do have insulated packages now. It's a miracle, but we finally made it to the 21st century

>>He thinks it's "any old means" and not overnighted in a specially insulated container.

Yes, they use cheese paper too, user.

you can get all of that shit in most developed cities, user. and do not pretend you have good pubs, jesus christ, you don't know what one looks like.

>bragging about your country being a major importer and then slagging people off for importing stuff

OBSESSED

>americans can get a much, much, much higher percent of world cuisine than any other country

Christ the exceptionalism is scary.

All these eights.

To Amerianon, having a wide variety of imports doesn't mean you can get away from being mocked for producing this shit like this though.

I think you've confused me with another poster.

There's nothing brag-worthy about importation. Anyone can do it anywhere. The whole concept of "bragging about being able to import X" is ludicrous. It's just stating the obvious.

>>slagging people off for importing stuff
I said it was dumb to import a finished dish as opposed to the ingredients. This is especially true for Mapo Tofu because it does not store or reheat well. Don't import the dish. Import ingredients as needed and make it fresh. It was a statement about how the food should be prepared; not how the ingredients should be sourced.

yeah i meant to reply to , my mistake

Another angry yurocuck who hates the fact that Americans have freedom of choice and that our poor people eat better than your upperclass

And then cant afford their diabetes medication

It really is amazing provided it's not dry. Problem is it's so easy to overcook.

Why can yuros afford diabetes meds? Isn't healthcare free?

>You want real steak in America? Go to Argentina.

It depends on what and where you eat it. Good Argentinian parrilleros know how to cook them the customer's way.

I guess whatever you can sell to americans as innovative and charge $40+ they will hype it. Truth is, if millennials are not responsible for at least the half of shiy they say, they are responsible for fucking up food.

>USAsian education

I hate that kale and bacon are so hyped up.

I like kale as a filler in salads and it's good when braised, but it's not that different from collard greens. It's so much more expensive though!

And bacon for a while was like "put bacon on everything!!!!" which was really annoying. I like bacon as much as the next guy, but it doesn't belong in everything.

Basically I'm frustrated at meme foods.

Bacon and kale haven't been memes in years my man

The regular Japanese steaks are in a totally different league. Theres a reason that Aussie, American, and Brazilian beef go for half the price of Japanese steaks.

bruh that's "sunny acres" nobody has ever heard of that brand it effectively doesn't exist. I can tell you right now that this is something sold only in dollar stores

>white

yeah, it's called hype

wagyu beef is like 20% better than american beef, not 200%

While that may be true, you seem to be hung up on that one specific example. There are countless other examples of food abominations in the US. Heck, walk into a supermarket and grab a random product. I'd say it's more likely to be an abomination than not.

But I also don't see how that's different than anywhere else. All countries on earth have countless examples of shit-tier foods.

>. There are countless other examples of food abominations in the US.

yeah, just like how in europe you eat horse meat and then argue that it's okay.

every single "Food abomination" you point out will be stuff that's sold at dollar stores etc, not in real supermarkets. I guarantee it. The fact that you can't get beef without horse in it applies to people who are middle class. Starting to understand the disconnect yet?

Our food is higher quality than yours. I know it absolutely pains you to understand this, becuase you've been taught by jews that white americans are your enemies for some reason, and you gobbled that ideology up like so much horse.

>yeah, just like how in europe you eat horse meat and then argue that it's okay.
I'm American bro.

>>every single "Food abomination" you point out will be stuff that's sold at dollar stores etc, not in real supermarkets. I guarantee it.
Yes, dollar stores sell abominations. So do normal supermarkets.

>>Starting to understand the disconnect yet?
No, I really don't.

>>Our food is higher quality than yours
Again, I am American, bro. The majority of our food, even from a proper supermarket is an abomination. Nearly all of our meat is factory-farmed. Our fruits and veggies are bred for nice apperance and durability in transport but are seriously lacking in flavor. Most of the spices you'd find at a supermarket--including the expensive hipster brands--are largely flavorless shit. Box mixes, industrially produced "cheese", and pre-made "heat and eat" entrees are the norm.

>> becuase you've been taught by jews that white americans are your enemies for some reason
Nah, I've just been lucky enough to be able to compare proper food to supermarket food, and found the latter sucks by comparison. By the way, I'm not claiming that Europe (or wherever) is any better. Most people, in most countries, eat shit food.

>weebs

Meat glue is absolutely fucking fine and no one would have an issue with it if it wasn't for media scare tacs

>steaks folded over 2,000 times much superior to baka gaijin steaks.

>no one would have an issue if it wasn't for media scare tactics

describes most issues in 2017

I think it depends on exactly what you mean. Is meat glue dangerous? No. Does it have an off flavor or texture? No (assuming it's used properly). Fuck, I use it myself for various things, like getting a skin-on pork roast when none of my butchers can order me one, or for making fried chicken that's 100% coated with skin. But that said, I think there's a potential issue with honesty in advertising. If I am shopping for a steak (or whatever) then I want to know if I'm getting a proper cut or something that's been pieced together from scraps.

I'm gonna explain something to you and I hope you take something from it

Responding to every point someone makes and just throwing out completely baseless shit like "american spices are tasteless" isn't an argument and doesn't strengthen your position. You expect me to go back and forth doing the same thing now and it's so sadly immature that I can tell you, you haven't really experienced much of food at all, obvious teen.

what poor people do and eat in america really has little to do with what middle class people do and eat. I don't make a lot of money but I cook all my fucking food. Fuck off with the "muh america" shit and no, you aren't american.

Yeah, it shouldn't be used to trick people into buying things that it isn't, but then, that's already illegal pretty much everywhere, the media outrages that almost all nations have had were the use of it altogether. denmark has banned any foodstuffs with meatglue iirc. it's so fucking stupid.

I'd say a lot of overhyped foods are things that are actually great, just held up on a pedestal their greatness doesn't warrant. Here would be my short list:
Steak
Burgers
Grilled chicken breast
Burritos
Quesadillas
Pizza made with low moisture mozzarella
Mac & cheese
Breakfast cereal
Bacon
Chili
Pasta Alfredo
Ranch dressing
Shrimp cocktail
Crab legs
Doughnuts
Craft beer
Fried chicken

>just throwing out completely baseless shit like "american spices are tasteless"
I never said "American" spices were tasteless. I said that Supermarket ones were. I fully agree that you CAN get the best of nearly everything here. But the sad reality is that most people don't know or care and are happy to eat their fake cheese, TV dinners, and McD's. And there's nothing baseless about it, as anyone with a little experience would realize. Compare the rosemary from your garden, or from a good spice merchant, with the dried shit in a McCormick bottle and the difference is obvious.

>> You expect me to go back and forth doing the same thing now
Sounds like you're giving up.

>> Fuck off with the "muh america" shit and no, you aren't american.
Would you like me to post you a pic of my passport? I'll even include a little note with your post number on it.

>you CAN get the best of nearly everything here. But the sad reality is that most people don't know or care
This is totally true. While the best is available to those willing to pay a premium for it most Americans expect their food to be cheap, and catering to that expectation has made the overall standards of what's available (supermarkets, chain restaurants) really shit.

>good steaks aren't cheap
they are if you learn how to fucking cook
you can make a dank ass rare sirloin with an electric stovetop if you have any idea what you're doing

Sirloin is not a good steak.

I'd say it's more a matter of education/experience than it is simply a matter of cost.

If you cook from scratch you can get food that's better, and cheaper, than box mix or frozen/prepared food, though that takes effort and skill. If you know where to shop you can often buy quality ingredients for far less than standard supermarket prices. For example, Tellicherry peppercorns (the highest grade) from thespicehouse costs less per unit weight than little bottles of McCormick at my local supermarket. Rice from the Asian market is both cheaper and far tastier than buying a box of Uncle Ben's. Ditto for beans from the Mexican market, most spices from the Desi market, and so on.

>>sirloin
>>good steak

Pick one. Sirloin is barely fit for burgers, it's certainly not what I would call a "good steak". Want a "Good steak"? Prime grade (or higher) Ribeye, fillet, porterhouse/Tbone.

Of course. But that means at least one person in the household has to be dedicated to buying good ingredients and taking the time to transform them into good food. This takes time and effort, and not every household has someone willing to put that in, so they just eat the default crap from the supermarket.

the point is even a well cooked sirloin is good.

If you like mediocre steaks, sure.

which you do, because even a mediocre steak tastes good when cooked well. don't be a legend in your own lunchbox m8.

seriously i've paid decent money for steaks in restaurants that were worse than the $2.50 "manager's special" london broil that i pan fried

Well cooked, yes.
Well done, no.

This is the mentality I was getting at. There are plenty of folks who like steak so much they'd rather eat a cheap, bloody tasting one that's a little on the tough side than no steak at all. A lot of people are the same way about pizza and burgers - bad examples are better than none at all. I'm not one of those people. If the steak option is a lesser cut of USDA Choice meat I'll pass on the steak and have something else.

I couldn't agree more.

you've shifted from talking about less than premium cuts to talking about bad quality steaks and in doing so you're conflating two different issues. i would be happy taking a sirloin steak from the same cow that you get your ribeye from. there are many things you can do to make a sirloin steak taste delicious. i wouldn't want a particularly shitty looking sirloin steak but just writing off an entire, perfectly viable cut because it's not in a premium range is indicative of a poor understanding of food.

>we can get everything!
>get proven wrong
>w-w-well we can get a lot of things!

I agree that sirloin is a perfectly viable cut. It's just not a good steak. If I want to have a steak I want a good one, preferably a Rib Eye. I'm not even fond of a NY Strip steak (which they call sirloin in the UK). My point is that steak is so popular that steaks from less than primal cuts are sold to the kind of people who like steak so much they'd rather eat those kind of steaks than none at all. To me steak is a very simply prepared dish, and ought to start with the best cut of meat you can get your hands on. If I can't get my hands on a really good piece of meat I'll make something other than steak with it.

No one hypes steak you fucking mouth breather. Just because it's a well-known food item doesn't mean it's hyped.

my point is that a simply prepared sirloin steak is still good. it's not like a braising cut or something that just isn't best served by being fried in a pan or roasted on a grill. it's a steak cut (also just as derivative from 'primal' cuts as a ribeye, despite what you seem to think) and makes for a delicious steak. just doesn't have the same impact as a ribeye from a comparable animal.

I'm not the guy you're replying to, but I DO consider sirloin to be insufficient grade for treating it like a "steak". IMHO it is best used as ground meat or in a braise.

>> just doesn't have the same impact as a ribeye from a comparable animal.
That's the point. Steak is all about the "impact".

and it does have an impact. just not the same as a ribeye. i am 100% sure you guys are talking out your ass and are either ignorant or wilfully blind to the very real joys of eating a sirloin steak. braising or grinding it is dumb as fuck, it doesn't have the fat or connective tissue content to be suitable for those applications.

This. If I'm sitting down to a meal that's pretty much just a slab of beef I want it to be the best beef I can get. If it isn't there are a lot of other, better things I could eat, and I'll just have them instead. Because a great steak is awesome, and a less than great steak is pretty meh.

>ignorant or wilfully blind to the very real joys of eating a sirloin steak
I've had them. IMO they're not worth bothering with or paying for. Rather shell out more money for a great steak or just eat something else.

>"Now Melts"
>It didn't always melt
what the fuck

>and it does have an impact. just not the same as a ribeye
Yeah, so why choose it at all? If my goal is to have a "steak dinner" then I'm going to pick a cut with more impact. OTOH if someone hands me a sirloin and tells me to do whatever I want with it then I'll probably not be choosing to cook it as a steak unless it happens to be an exceptionally good looking piece of meat.

I've had countless sirloins cooked as steaks over the years--everything from home cooking up through well known steakhouses. I wouldn't say it's bad, but they are very "meh" to me. I can make something a lot better than a "steak" from that sirloin.

>>, it doesn't have the fat or connective tissue content to be suitable for those applications.
Nobody ever mentioned what those applications even were. And sirloin makes a damn fine stew.

you couldn't say it is as good as a ribeye but you could say it is not so much worse as to be an inviable alternative when there are other considerations. if you don't want to fork out for ribeye, you have sirloin. if you just don't want something quite as rich as a ribeye, you have sirloin. if you want a different texture to ribeye, you have sirloin.
>Nobody ever mentioned what those applications even were.
the post i responded to specifically mentioned grinding or braising.

>if you don't want to fork out for ribeye, you have sirloin.
This is what I don't understand. If you don't want to fork out the money for a nice piece of meat don't have a steak. Have something else. Because treating a piece of stew meat as a steak doesn't do it, at least for me.

>If you don't want to fork out the money for a nice piece of meat don't have a steak.
sirloin is a nice piece of meat.

Not really nice enough to use for a steak, though.