What is the best way to prepare tuna steak?

what is the best way to prepare tuna steak?

Wrap it in newspaper and throw it at your neighbours front door

Really brief, but high heat, sear on one side. Drop in ice water to stop further cooking once you've gotten the sear. Slice it, then serve. Perhaps with a little soy or a light dressing.

Fry it in a stick of butter and some lemon juice like you would with any other fish. Top with lemon pepper and parsley.

Cooked medium for me please.

this
this only if it's a trash cut

Don't drop it on ice water, that's completely unnecessary, and it would lessen its flavor.

>that's completely unnecessary
Nope, it stops the residual heat from cooking the fish any more. You want a sear on the outside only. The less cooking of the interior the better.

>>and it would lessen its flavor.
not at all. You know this is a standard method used in high-end restaurants, right? You're not leaving it in there for hours, you're just doing it briefly to stop the carryover cooking.

I like to let it get to room temperature all the way through then sear it with sesame oil. Never dropped it in ice water. I may try it but it seems extraneous.

The sear is 30 seconds, that residual heat is better dissipated on a cold plate. Dunking the entire piece in water is retarded.

Not saying water won't work but there's much better methods.

With high heat you can perfectly control how much of it you want cooked, you do not need cold water at all.

It does lessen the flavors, especially on the parts it has been seared. I would know what I'm talking about since I've worked with tuna in a michelin starred restaurant before, although we would hardly ever sear tuna.

Why would you put the presentation side--the one with the sear--against a cold plate? Sure, it would work if you put the seared side against a cold plate, but who would do that?

OFC you want high heat, but the heat level doesn't magically stop carryover cooking. I think I'll listen to Modernist Cuisine and the guys on Iron Chef over you.

According to the USDA, tuna needs to be cooked to 145* F. Tuna is safe to eat when it is well done. Consuming raw or undercooked seafood can result in foodborne illness and/or illness caused by pathogens.

It's a common technique for tataki, cold water or even vinegar, but it is really unnecessary with proper heat.

If it's superficial enough, the heat hardly carries over. But feel free to keep your mind closed, and keep eating up what you see on TV, or books.

Pic is a piece of tuna perfectly seared without the use of cold water. Consider the size of it.

That sear looks weak as fuck. All I'm seeing is sesame seeds (or whatever that black stuff is); the meat itself, visible around the 7-o-clock position where the black stuff has been scraped away, has little color on it.

For swordfish, I sear one side, flip, then finish in the oven. I assume this would get a good result with tuna as well. I usually season heavily with black peppercorn and salt. A little lemon pepper works well too.

Eat it raw, one time I ate salmon raw and I didn't die or nuthin.

Over easy

Except for the part where you want to cook swordfish whereas tuna is best cooked as little as possible. The moment you stick the tuna in the oven it's going downhill fast.

salt, pepper, sear super hot grill 2 min each side. Toast bun.. and wasabi mayo mix or sriracha mayo mix. Profit?

If the sear was weak it would not show a consistent line of cooked tuna around it, rather a gradient of sorts.

That's just a meme, I've eaten raw fish for years and never once got sick. Tuna is best consumed raw.

Raw with a squeeze of lemon, maybe some gyoza sauce and white rice

if you've got the setup for it, cold smoked and thin sliced

If it’s a good fresh cut, here is a very simple version:
Sear it on high heat for half a minute on each side (if it’s thick maybe a whole minute BUT NO MORE), transfer to a plate. Done. Dip it in soy sauce or something like that.
If it’s a regular crap cut:
Prepare it like any other fish, medium heat, butter, lime or lemon for a few minutes on each side.

well-done with ketchup

If you preferred raw just mix soy sauce and kalamansi