Why do I never see people using lard in place of oil for steak frying?

why do I never see people using lard in place of oil for steak frying?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-WhZvyrSeNA
youtube.com/watch?v=dAJq1FoXMFY
wikipedia.org/wiki/Lard
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You ain't slick, Kay
youtube.com/watch?v=-WhZvyrSeNA

Who wants to add pork flavor to their beef steak? That seems kind of silly. But sure, you could do it.

I'll use duckfat when I have it.
I almost only use lard for deep frying and seasoning CI. I don't even know how the smokepoint compares to rapeseed oil.

I'd use lard, but olive oil works just fine. Hell, natural juices work fine.

360~400F

You can't mix animals

*blocks your path*

???

i use butter, because i can add some crushed garlic and parsley and baste the steak while its cooking.

Are you saying that if you used some different kind of oil then you would be magically prevented from adding garlic or parsley? And that other kinds of oils cannot be used for basting?

T H I C C

lard tastes worse than butter and is more difficult to store and obtain than oil

i prefer the taste of butter to oil.

butter gets a little burnt which adds a nutty characteristic.

you don't really get that with oil, i feel like butter is easier to baste with too.

rapeseed as no discernible taste compared to other fats.

And rapeseed is 428–446°F
Not that much of a difference then. It'd certainly work.

Mixing different animals is fine. It's mixing milk and meat from the same one that's prohibited.

I bough some canned duckleg confit the other day. The legs were alright but nothing special. Probably fine to use in a cassoulet. But there was so much fat in that tin can. I melted it carefully in a pot and got the worst impurities out, then poured it in a bowl and stored it in the fridge. Lots of duckfat for potatoes etc.
Since I live alone I don't really buy and cook many whole ducks so I expect this will be my primary source of duckfat in the future.

Lard I can buy in 1-pound blocks. Especially this time of year.

Clearly the taste is subjective, but since when is it more difficult to acquire or store?

You store it the exact same way as normal oil. You can buy it at any supermarket. Or you can reserve it from cooking pork.

>cook animal
>fat renders out
>make hockey puck of fat in fridge

wow so hard

Why would you use lard instead of tallow?

I don't have any tallow

Easy enough to get! Go to your local butcher/grocery store that does it's own butchering and ask for a pound of beef fat. Sometimes they'll charge you a low amount of maybe a dollar a pound, most, however, will give it away since it's considered a waste product. Cut away any meat, dice up that fat, put it in a large pot, put it on a low heat and let that fat render. Stir from time to time. Takes a while but you'll get some lovely tallow this way.

I only find lard at the Mexican grocery store but that's just me
>Manteca de cerdo

Why are you retards using Fahrenheit when most of the world use Celcius?

Why are you obsessed when the feeling isn't mutual?

Lard does not taste like pig, unless you are buying shit, or rendering your own.

You only need a drop of oil to cook a steak. What the fuck is wrong with you.

This triggers Veeky Forums: youtube.com/watch?v=dAJq1FoXMFY

>or rendering your own.
Why do anything else?

I'm not going to say that "more oil is better", but you'd want a lot more than one drop. The point of oil is not to lubricate the pan, but rather to fill in the gaps between the metal pan and the meat. It's a heat transfer medium. You need enough oil that it will fill all the gaps between the steak and the pan.

Do you slaughter your own pig? The type of fat you need for good lard comes from specific parts on the pig. And if it's not hydrogenated or froze, it will go rancid very quickly.

>Do you slaughter your own pig?
I do hunt, but I rarely save lard from those. I normally save lard from when I cook pork roasts.

>>The type of fat you need for good lard comes from specific parts on the pig
Yes. But unless you're buying special artisinal lard you aren't getting that when you buy storebought lard. You're getting a compilation of everything left over at the slaughterhouse. Ideally lard isn't just from a specific part of the pig, but a specific BREED of pig. Alas, all that went out the window decades ago with factory farming.

>>it will go rancid very quickly.
No more or less than any other cooking fat or oil. If you're worried about rancidity then store it in an airtight container and/or freeze it.

t. has never tasted lard

I'm guessing you're either a smoker, or your only experience with lard is some kind of horrible hydrogenated industrial product.

>meme leaf pictured

refuse to watch/10

>literally triggered by a lead

neck yourself/10

wikipedia.org/wiki/Lard
Please read this, I'm running out of patience with you.

clear lard is pretty neutral, doesn't have to be processed

>cooked to perfection
jesus christ