What are some works of literature that were written to glorify God?

What are some works of literature that were written to glorify God?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

all of them

>this is so obviously true, and THE reason to keep at it.
/thread

Why are the eastern icons so much better than western icons?
I love the variety styles

A Canticle for Lewbowitz. Its become my favorite book. I guess you have to be a Catholic to really appreciate it though.

La noche oscura del alma por San Juan de la Cruz

Budha's journey to illumination shares a lot of similarities with the one of Jesus.

Christianity is in many more related to eastern thought than a lot of people realize, probably because the dominant varieties of Christianity are wrapped in a lot of western dressings

eastern thought is mostly indoeuropean tho,
just like christianity

Any similarities between the East and West are are superficial at best. Islam, Judaism, and Christianity teach that God is a personal being. Most forms of Hinduism teach that God is an impersonal force while in Buddhism, the question of God is irrelevant. In classical theism, death is final, followed by either eternal reward or eternal punishment. In Eastern religions, death is a door the soul passes through many times as it works out its karma in reincarnation. Some religions teach that reprobates are destroyed while the righteous live on. These are fundamentally different philosophies.

And?
I didn't say they were the same you retard

God doesn't need literature to glorify Him, He's glorious enough as is. True inner piety is shown by an absence of ostentatious outward piety.

divine comedy

>fundamentally different philosophies
no they are not
they have their civilizational and cultural diffrences ofc, but tehy are all connected through their indoeuropean core

You read that post and still don't know what the point was? Any similarity between East and West is superficial at best. That's the point.

Having a good summer?

memes aside, i actually am a summerfag
but of summer 2015

I don't know why you thought anyone would be interested

the same way nobody is interested about you saying havinga good summer

learn to accept different opinions and get some manners

Let's make a deal. I'll be nice to people but you have to learn how to not type like a retarded. No double spacing, no unnecessary acronyms,. And a little bit of punctuation. Also when you disagree with somebody you should provide reasons for believing the things you believe so we can actually discuss it. When you simply so "no they are not" you shouldn't expect a decent reply.

go fuck yourself autistic egomaniac

One might argue that literature which glorifies God is more for the benefit of the writer, and the reader, than it is for God himself. It reveals God's glory through art in a way that makes it more easily accessible to the believer or potential believer.

Hey man just learn how to accept different opinions and get some manners

The Temptation of Saint Anthony by Flaubert

It will make you nostalgic for preislamic Christian Egypt. A feel I didnt know I had.

I think the original post meant the icons in the picture. Ya know, the paintings.

The Bible imo

My canon is inspired primarily by Christian works, however, one does not need to be Christian to appreciate them.

>Paradife loft

what kind of retard parody is this

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_s

Is Veeky Forums solely run by newfags now?

lel

anybody got that pasta of andrew marvell or somebody coming over to milton's place to dictate paradife loft?

Mundus Millennialis.

It's sad because I have seen the long S so many times I presumed everyone else has. I now know why I rarely come here. No one seems to have any real knowledge, just memes.

it's probably just bait desu, there's long s's in the first the fourth book too, not just Paradife loft

syllabus of errors

I came in around the time Veeky Forums was probably on its last leg. It was so cool, I would unironically say that Veeky Forums helped me shape up to be a good English Major and taught me quite a lot that's helped me understand literature even today. It's really sad to see what it's become. (and to think there was a time it was at its best that neither of us got to see).

>It was so cool, I would unironically say that Veeky Forums helped me shape up to be a good English Major and taught me quite a lot that's helped me understand literature even today.
bruh what dimension are you from and what kinda scooby snacks are you zoinked on

But they're all in the same style. They're very rigid and you have to confirm to very strict rules if you want to paint them. I know a couple who do this for a living. It's all strictly codified.

Listen, dipshit.

Forms of Hinduism don't teach that bullshit.

The god, or Brahman, or Paramatma, is from what comes the soul, or atma.

Indian sages were wise enough to need an anthropomorphication of God.

The Jews, Arabs, and Anglos did.

Surely, Indians did too, hence why the Vedas kept being divided into more and more texts with rich allegory and metaphors to help the masses.

Buddhism in turn ties to this Vedic Indian religion.

They're not different. You fucking illiterate cuck.

You say that most forms of Hinduism don't teach that God is an impersonal force but then you immediately say that the Hindu conception of God is that of an impersonal one. And I'm the illiterate one.

*Wise enough to not need an

>This level of autism
>Doesn't see the atma-paramatma connection.
>Still questions "muh impersonal hindu god"
>Thinks there's a thing as "Hinduism"

Yep, illiterate.

You should use more greentext and doublespacing, that'll help you fit in. Don't forget to call other people autistic and illiterate because those insults haven't been beaten to death yet.

bump

Seems like you're more focused on Hinduism agreeing with you than actually learning about Hinduism.

Why do you talk like you were able to know how is God, beside some old texts?

Are young trying to tell me Ethiopian icons are the same as Greek icons?
Even Russian and Greek icons have differences

so I don't have to create a new thread, what is the best 'bible study' book to read along with it?

Catholic Study Bible by Oxford University.

>nobody's diary

desu...

My diary desu

seems very nice, but a bit expensive due to my country's shit currency and I can't seem to find it online. do you have any other recommendation?

What country? There's also the Ignatius Study Bible. Most study Bibles are going to be expensive, though.

yeah I figured. I mistakenly thought there were some study books separated from bibles, being the two together makes it expensive, and I already have a KJV in english, which I am currently on psalms, and I have the considered best translation to portuguese, so no need for another bible.

I am from brazil. with the price I would pay for the oxford study bible + shipping I could buy like 10~20 books in a second-hand bookstore, that without considering importing tax, which is absurd. I will see if there is some decent national study book or if I can find those two you suggested somewhere around here. thanks anyway.

Why do you talk as if you are certain that I don't know God?

Ask yourself who the newfag really is

I hate the fucking bible; i can't buy into any of it's (((crap))). I don't think the language is particularly beautiful. Maybe in the original koiné? But the kjv reads like pure illiteracy.

And buddhism... Siddharta Gautama was a vaibhāşika, an atheist. So buddhism is just secular hinduism

>Christianity
>Islam
>Indo-European
Look at the fucking map again, they're the religion originally for the sandniggers

*tips mitre*

it's not meant to be aesthetically pleasing

I found ignatius' online but only the new testament. also found athanasius' orthodox study old & new testament, do you know if its good too?

>One might argue that literature which glorifies God is more for the benefit of the writer, and the reader, than it is for God himself. It reveals God's glory through art in a way that makes it more easily accessible to the believer or potential believer.
No, God must constantly be admired.

t. Cuckholic

>Islam, Judaism, and Christianity teach that God is a personal being.
>personal

That's massively debatable.

The Ignatius Study Bible's Old Testament is unfinished right now, still waiting for it. Orthodox Study Bible should be fine, but I haven't personally used it.