What do people think of The Trilogy? Or Beckett at all for that matter? Favourite play of his? Favourite prose?

What do people think of The Trilogy? Or Beckett at all for that matter? Favourite play of his? Favourite prose?

Other urls found in this thread:

samuel-beckett.net/ping.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Haen't read/seen his plays, but I tried getting through that book and it was boring as shit. It's just meaningless rambling. I've been told it's meaning rambling because "it's like life, man," but fuck that I want to read something entertaining. Call me pleb, but I get bored with a lot in life already.

I enjoyed it but I dont think english profs get the unnameable. They go on and on about ontological uncertainty and the absolute unnameable, when it is just a dick trying to anthropomorphize its back story. Dimwits everywhere

I'll admit the rambling is at times dense and difficult to enjoy, but perseverance is definitely rewarded. Rather than simply 'its like life lol' something a bit more special is revealed. It is admittedly very human, but also sad and self-reflective. Its mentioning of aches and pains and fucking farts seems off-putting but idk i think it reveals something sort of tragic . whatever idk im soundling like a pseud, someone probably understands what im trying to say.

as in an actual penis?

Endgame is my favorite.

Where should I start with Beckett? The plays? The trilogy? His other novels?

dante

I'm about 50 pages into Molloy right now, first exposure to Beckett I've had. I really love it. It's very funny and sad. I'm also a big fan of the plotless monologue in books (Bernhard is my favorite author) so I may be a bit biased.

Plays really. Waiting for Godot is sort of the best way to get the Beckett experience, encapsulating his minimalist approach alongside his ideas of philosophy and his use of humour. From there I would go Endgame.

His early four short stories are excellent, the rest of his short prose is largely unreadable

More Pricks than Kicks?

It's not a trilogy reeeee

i read this years ago and i think about the "sucking stones" passage in molloy almost daily

How come that passage specifically?

I must know

i recall asking if this book had any substance to it, and wasn't just a matter of beautiful prose, and some faggot jumped down my throat over it, insinuating that since it was famous and beloved, that it should be enough for me.

sounds like he was just a prose fag after all. still looking forward to reading this book after O'brien.

Up there with Joyce. Favorite play, Krapps Last Tape. Favorite prose, The Unnamable.

Don't read it for a plot but it's got everything else.

Bump

His best work is Ping desu samuel-beckett.net/ping.html