Bacon and nitrites/nitrates

So the ingredients for the brand of bacon I want to buy are listed as: pork, water, sea salt, sugar, cultured celery extract, spice extract, smoke.

presidentschoice.ca/en_CA/products/productlisting/pc_free_from_bacon.html

Am I safe from nitrites & nitrates? Or are the nitrites that come from celery extract equally as bad?

I don't want cancer. I've sort of skim-read so many conflicting studies & articles on this topic, including something about bacon officially being labeled as 'carcinogenic'.

Thoughts from Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=uncured bacon celery
livestrong.com/article/550654-what-are-the-health-benefits-of-uncured-bacon/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Oxygen causes cancer.
Stop worrying and start living.

Ew. Sugar bacon. Sugary bacon never cooks right. You're not going to get cancer from eating bacon. Yes, I said it. It's bullshit. Put more of those dryer sheets in your laundry though.

There's no definitive proof that it's better, however, I always err on the side of caution and buy the "uncured" or "natural" bacon. It tastes the same and is about the same price I'd pay for decent quality regular bacon anyway. My grandpa-in-law had a saying "It doesn't cost much more to go first class", and while that may not apply all the time in other areas, it definitely applies in food quality.

Don't almost all uncured bacons use celery extract and/or sea salt, just like the one linked in my OP?

See:
lmgtfy.com/?q=uncured bacon celery
livestrong.com/article/550654-what-are-the-health-benefits-of-uncured-bacon/
(2nd last sentence under the "Identification" paragraph)

And yea I also prefer to pay for more quality whenever I can, especially when it comes to food.

Nah this isn't sugar bacon. It's listed in the ingredients, but it's a tiny amount. Such a trivial amount that the nutritional labels shows 0 grams of sugar per 2 slices.

All right, good luck. In my experience, every bacon I ever cooked that had any sugar in it never gets crispy. It stays chewy right up until it's burnt.

I cure my own bacon and when you do you realize the tiny amount of cure #1 (6.25% sodium nitrite and 93.75% salt) that's used: 2 gms/kg. Your celery salt cured bacon could very well exceed that since the amount of sodium nitrite in any given batch of celery salt could very widely.

tl;dr stop being a cuck and make your own where you control it.

It's the meat itself that will give you asscancer. Don't worry about it too much.

Are you cold smoking?

Would you rather die of cancer at 70 or frailty and dementia at 90? Serious question.

>Thoughts from Veeky Forums?

Use pork belly instead of bacon. It's more delicious and doesn't contain any nitrates.

There's no conflicting studies. Consume cooked cured products increases your risk of some cancer by a fairly significant amount. It's not quite as bad as smoking but pretty bad and statistically significant.

Yea that's what I might be leaning towards.

Do I just buy the pork belly, slice it like bacon, and cook it like I normally would with bacon?

Or do I first """cure""" it by using salt and literally nothing else?

Fat and nitrates?
you mean like [spoiler]GABAGOOL?[/spoiler]

>I don't want cancer
Nigga unless you start habitually snorting gun powder you won't get enough nitrites in your system for them to be a primary factor for cancer. Honestly it's a 'MSG is literally death' tier sentiment.

Yes, a 12 hour cold smoke after a 2 week dry cure. Pork belly cost $2.99/lb; salt sugar and cure #1 are trivial. Best damn bacon you'll ever eat.

You're fine bro. Nitrates are a meme that was drummed up by the hooknose jew

The study that said eating processed meat increases cancer risk said that if you eat 50 grams every single day you're risk of rectum cancer increases from 5 to 6%.

celery extract causes the same reaction as nitrates do and acts the same in your body.

If your bacon has anything other than bacon in it you're doing it wrong.

That's what bacon is. When it dosn't have those other things it's called pork belly.

just get uncured bacon

>pork belly.
or pork jowl
or backfat
or loin

Eating 50 grams of cured meat every day raised the risk of colon cancer from 5% to 5.9%. It's not really a big deal. It's worth taking into consideration and figuring out how it works to hopefully stop that from happening, but I think the stress from worrying is probably worse than eating some bacon once in a while.

Those are from different parts of the pig. How on Earth could you think pork BELLY and BACK fat are the same thing?

>How on Earth could you think pork BELLY and BACK fat are the same thing?
I don't.

I guess I misunderstood your post then. It seemed you were saying that pork belly is also called those other things.

Nope, but those other things can be called bacon.
jowl bacon (guanciale)
loin bacon (aka back bacon)

By definition, that doesn't exist. That's like saying get uncured ham which is the back leg and uncured bacon would be the loin if you're a britstani or the belly if you're an americlap.

bacon doesn't just refer to the curing but also to the way it's sliced. just like if you get uncured bacon that's about an inch thick, it's not called pork belly, it's called fresh side

>fresh side

Nice attempt at damage control, fag, but no one has ever heard that term before, lol.

that's cause you're too young, fucking google it

If they use celery extract, it's the same shit. Food scientists and marketers are clever.