How do I give myself a university level education in philosophy?

I've read an anthology of the works of Nietzsche, David Humes Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion and have been a huge edgelord for my whole life.

Everything about philosophy intrigues me and I want to start reading up on literally everything that would be covered in the curriculum of a decent university.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/user/gbisadler
lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/philosophy-ba-hons-v500/#course-structure
youtube.com/channel/UCEtxsMx4qsoitFwjBdLU_gA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>How do I give myself a university level education in philosophy?
take a philosophy course.
moving on...

the biggest thing is just letting go dude

force anything and you'll never get that much

but I can't. So I will rephrase this:

Where can I find a good list of all of the material I should cover as I self-study?

literally google stuff like "introduction to philosophy syllabus" and see what's on there

everything that I find seems to not be in-depth enough and the reddit list kind of shite.

message someone who studies philosophy and ask for their curriculum

>Tfw about to start studying philosophy at uni
Feels good

I'm going to study philology my mane

Its good shit desu. Although first year students are always arrogant as fuck and think they know everything.

youtube.com/user/gbisadler

Start with the Greeks Faggot

Why not? Do you not have access to the Open University?

have you ever taken anything on there? Im thinking about starting a mathematics degree there in october

Good luck with learning critical theory and Marxist garbage and finding no meaningful job

There's no right way to get into philosophy other than picking an angle that appeals to you, delving into it and then looking at related stuff that comes up. Check out some critical commentary on Nietzsche or something like Foucault that follows on from him, or maybe pick an aspect of Hume you liked and look up what subsequent writers had to say, like Kant or Popper.

Just try something you like the sound of and see where it takes you with an open mind! That said, avoid any contemporary "pop philosophy" like Alain de Botton, it's brain rot that will do nothing but inflate your self importance.

Basically, there's no value in trying to be a philosophy "generalist"; just look for answers to questions you have or read whatever sounds interesting.

If you want to look at something that raises a lot of good questions to follow up on, try some essays by Montaigne.

MIT gives all the materials and reading lists for some of its old classes. Check it out.

I'm probably going to take philosophy into law. You sound buttblasted.

lmao, savor that feeling because it's gonna be the last time

Expand.

>into law

see his 'no meaningful job'

Look up the curriculum for for a philosophy degree at a few schools, and then find the syllabi for those classes.

That being said, the materials are only a portion of the education, and working with experts the field is helps a great deal with understanding the material.
>tfw I'll never know that feel

Just read 'em all:

Presocratics, Plato, Aristotle, Plotinus, Aquinas, Machiavelli, Bacon, Descartes, Pascal, Hobbes, Spinoza, Leibniz, Hume, Kant, Hegel, Schopenhauer, Kierkegaard, Feuerbach, Marx, Nietzsche, Bergson, Freud, Husserl, Heidegger, Wittgenstein, Arendt, Levi-Strauss, Lacan, Barthes, Althusser, Foucault, Derrida, Deleuze, Bourdieu, Sloterdijk, Zizek, Latour, Meillassoux, Dugin.

>sending him down the rabbit hole of continental philosophy.

you can be better than a university level graduate just by reading wikipedia, lurking on philosophy forums and watching on youtube some university courses online

That's what I did anyway. I met 4 people who actually studied philosophy and it was atrocious. I struck up discussions with them and I was clear that I knew more about philosophy than them. Like one was surprised that I don't eat meat and she never heard of Peter Singer. Another didn't know anything about Wittgenstein and said they liked Sam Harris.

This might be selection bias thou since all of them were working menial jobs that had nothing to do with philosophy so maybe I just met the bottom of the barrel.

I'm in a philosophy PhD program at an Ivy League school and even my peers are like this. They'll have heard of stuff but won't have read anything except what concerns their hyperspecializations and some odds and ends. I try to be better rounded.

Now, undergrad on the other hand: my peers were all absolute morons who never read any of the readings and just said whatever bullshit came into their heads. You can get a philosophy BA without knowing anything.

And where are you from? In my country there are a whole bunch of same retards that are being taught by 90-yrs communists.

Alright, oh wise one. What, according to you, is a "meaningful job"?

Unless you're at Harvard getting your phd a philosophy degree is nearly worthless. You can teach yourself.

>You can get a philosophy BA without knowing anything.

This rings true. I took a philosophy course once and was genuinely afraid of failing because I didn't understand anything but got an A because whatever came off the top of my head was worthy.

But I don't necessarily want to pursue a philosophy PhD at my current university. If I want to pursue philosophy past a BA, I'll definitely attend a better university. If not, I'll go to law school.

The Harvard Classics series was literally designed to do just that.

yeah and its impossible to get in print.

It depends.
American university or real university?

lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/philosophy-ba-hons-v500/#course-structure

I see them at most libraries

ive been doing this exactly for a bit more than a year, here's my reading list of western canon essentials so far, which will get you ready to tackle modern philosophy.

The Presocratics (espec Thales, Protagoras, Parmenides, Heraclitus, Empedocles)
Plato (Republic, Phaedo, Crito at the very least)
Aristotle (Organon, Poetics, Politics, Physics, Metaphysics)
Diogenes the cynic
Epictetus
Epicurus
Cicero
Marcus Aurelius
Seneca
Plotinus
Pseudo-Dionysius
St Anselm
Aquinas
Erasmus
Descartes