In Dante's Inferno

why are Plato, Aristotle, Virgil and other classical figures located in Limbo?

are they not fit for heaven?

Other urls found in this thread:

taylormarshall.com/2012/04/8-bible-verses-on-christs-descent-into.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Only Christians that recognize Jesus as the Lord and savior are allowed in heaven.

but these were pagans that lived before christ?

Hmmmm

There was an explanation that some dude actually was led to living adequately by God without ever meeting any jews or christians.
So it's kinda fair,

that's why they're in limbo not hell

I've never heard an adequate justification for the fate of Gentiles who lived before Christ.

The only way for a person to get into heaven is to believe in the Lord Jesus Christ. They didn't. Simple as that.

>fate of the Gentiles
You mean the fate of everyone? They had exactly the same fate as the Jews. Hell. Every single person went to Hell, even Moses and King David. That's because without Jesus Christ you can't enter Heaven, but after Jesus was crucified you're now able to go to Heaven. The Harrowing of Hell was an event of Jesus entering into Hell to preach to all those who died before he was crucified. If Moses, Homer, Plato, Aeschylus, King Tut, etc accepted Jesus during the time he was there then they were saved.

And it is just that though they never had the opportunity to become saved, they are punished for not being saved?

Catholicism us srs bsnss
There are churches that will dissuade people from converting from other Christian denominations, because they've already missed so many crucial church rites they'd basically be repenting for those unintentional sins forever.
Of course like many Catholic doctrines this probably arises from some medieval political play, but its impressive in the modern non-denominational age to have such a strong set of theological principles.

The fate Dante gave to them is hardly punishment

People who lived before God made that whole "only believers will be saved" deal, got send to Limbo and wait there for judgement.

And this is by design of a God of justice, love, and mercy? Why didn't Jesus come a year earlier to save just a few more people? Two years? A hundred? Why let people suffer and die into eternal torment?

Dante isn't Christian doctrine.

Its important to remember that in Acts it is predicted that Jesus will directly assault the Gates of Hell and free the Damned. Not sure if the Catholics have some wonky rules about that too, though.

Judgement on what terms? I thought the Bible makes clear that no one can be saved on his own accord.

Please show me where in the Bible it says that.

>people still believe this shit

>Judgement on what terms? I thought the Bible makes clear that no one can be saved on his own accord.
What bible are you even reading? Interpretation of divine salvation is THE defining point of differentation of most Christian denominations. The Bible does not explicitly state either way.
As for where it states that Jesus will assault the Gates of Hell, like I said its in Acts. Can't be bothered to drudge up the exact verse.

It's not the same Hell as the lake of fire. The virtuous suffered because they weren't with God, not because of gnashing teeth.

After the crucifixion Christ descended into hell and brought salvation to those in limbo. I don't think Dante was trying to make a theological point with his portrayal of limbo.

The harrowing of hell is just a catholic myth, it don't in the bible.

Is it?

taylormarshall.com/2012/04/8-bible-verses-on-christs-descent-into.html

It's in the Bible. Explain 1 Peter 3:19-20, Ephesians 4:9.

Paul is a fraud

>1 Peter 3:19-20

Open to interpretation.

>Ephesians 4:9

Christ came down from heaven to us first, then went back up.

A good Christian should take everything outside of the gospel with a pinch of salt.

Which of the 50 or so gospels are you referring to?

they were just, but could not be saved by jesus retroactively. they basically got to live in a pseudoparadise. it was the best thing dante could do, otherwise he'd probably be labeled a heretic of the highest order. he obviously deeply respected these great minds, and didn't want to depict their greatness burning in hellfire.

But Jesus did save them retroactively, that's Christian doctrine.

Protestantism was a mistake

>Protestantism was a mistake
No, it was deliberate infiltration and sabotage.

>the best thing dante could do
Stop spreading misinformation. Dante got the idea of Limbo and virtuous pagans from Thomas Aquinas.

yes, martin luther was a JEW!

kys

i meant the best he could do within the canon, not so much that he couldn't think of anything better for them.

did he? i didn't realize. that's comforting.

I'm Catholic and idk what you're talking about.

Just because you might have a lot of temporal punishment accrued on your soul does not mean you're just supposed to give up nor would the church ever encourage that. Get baptized/go to confession and after a stint in purgatory you get to be part of the beatific vision.

Just Mark desu.

There is no such thing as retroactive salvation. The Catholic Church has slipped a ton of fuckery and bent the Bible backwards to accomodate their descent into humanism.

Please explain to me what criteria someone who wasn't a Christian during their life must fulfill to be saved retroactively.

the inferno is art not theology, dumbass

>i am so retarded that i dont know what sheol is

catholics need to shut their fucking mouths, none of them know a thing about theology outside of their busted ass version of the Nicene creed. Theyre too busy in-fighting about what direction to face at mass and how many little boy dicks one can fondle before being excommunicated to read the Bible. Nobody cares about your opinion on hell when the only thing youve ever read is a wikipedia article on some random papal encyclical.

Not that user but you need perfect contrition. It was the only path to salvation before the ministry of Jesus.

What great rhetoric calling me "raca." You really whooped me good.

So anyone who attains perfect contrition in Hell will be saved?

In theory, yes, but if you're in Hell God already knows you'll never attain it. Not because he predetermines your future but because he can see all of your existence in a single glance.

Didn't Jesus descend to hell to give the people there one last chance?

No he was a satanist

>one last chance

No. Jesus went to Hell because a portion of Hell is where the just and righteous Jewish people from before Jesus' existence were hanging out, and Jesus went to go get them. Adam, Abraham, Moses, Noah, Ruth, all of them. All the Jews from the Old Testament times who faithfully followed God before the coming of Christ. Jesus descended into Hell to take them up to Heaven, where they always were destined to go but couldn't get to until Jesus opened up Heaven with the Atonement.

nigga limbo is the first circle of hell.

“Here suffer those who did not sin, yet did not have the required portal of our faith. Their punishment is the denial of Paradise.”

>Doing nothing for eternity
>"Mercy"
Lmao