In undergrad for English. I never want to leave this ivory tower. Thoughts on grad school/career in academia...

In undergrad for English. I never want to leave this ivory tower. Thoughts on grad school/career in academia? Still possible in 2017?

Yeah get a masters in certain fields with education minor. Study inbetween teaching.
Live the life I desire so I can vicariously live my dreams through you.

education is a shit career, maybe after 30 years you can become a dean and actually make some bank and not have to read shitty papers, but that's a long wait and even then in doubt

Looking into a PhD or Law School if interested.

Yes, it's possible, you just need to get a PhD in a field with more diverse prospects (so your peers aren't all competing for tenure track positions) and lots of funding, like biology. It also helps to have an undergraduate degree from an ivy league school. That's my plan at least.

Its not a shit career if you want to study for a living.

OK, have fun teaching community college classes as an adjunct making less money than a janitor.

>hurr, but I'm smarter than most of the PhD students so I'll beat the odds!

Are you good at networking? Did you go to an Ivy for your undergrad? If you didn't answer yes to both, (not either one, BOTH) then you already lost.

If he can both study and work then does it really matter if he makes less than a janitor? Some people are happy without being loaded.

>Some people are happy without being loaded.
That's easy to say but hard to do.

I'm basically willingly abstinent and don't want a child of my own. I'm happy with a small home and using my little money for my family.
Besides those personal preferences, naturally if you aren't unintelligent in your studies and understand how to apply them to teaching, you will not teach at a CC but at least a Uni. You think most people who enter teaching as a field do so with the pretext of wishing to learn more in their free time? No, they do it because helping people gives them a hard on. But those who desire true intellectual studies in academics can only benefit from teaching as their career while they study as a passion. Those people are the people who teach at great schools or become recognized simply through their knowledge.

You know nothing but your field, so don't talk like you know anything at all besides your field.

>If he can both study and work then does it really matter if he makes less than a janitor? Some people are happy without being loaded.
It's not just the low pay, it's the fact that he'd be teaching classes to people who don't care about literature and don't even do their assignments. He'll publish articles that literally nobody but the reviewers will read in obscure journals. The life of an adjunct is a completely pointless and stupid existence.

You'll never get tenure.

>naturally if you aren't unintelligent in your studies and understand how to apply them to teaching, you will not teach at a CC but at least a Uni.
Nah, you won't. I want you to remember this post in ten years when you finish your PhD and you realize that user was right and you should've gone into STEM.

Unless you're investing in a bug-out bunker with your excess income, it won't even matter. Just do what makes you happy, and all do what makes me happy.

You are far too presumptuous of my person.

I felt and still feel the same. Now, I work a modest (in terms of money) manual trade that requires no little skill. I enjoy it.
On my bedside table is one installment of a 4 volume 1950 Everyman Library edition of the complete Spectator. I love the prose-- as I love Taylor's, Browne's, Walton's, Donne's, Boswell's, Johnson's, Carlyle's, Lamb's and perhaps especially Coleridge's. And yet my focus is on the Americans-- particularly Dickinson and Thoreau.
/You/ see? I truly love literature- I NEVER vaunt it- but I do live IN it, and would live no other way. It's a very quiet albeit hopeful life.
Don't abandone what /you love. Whatever decision maintain what's best of right now.

shut up nigger

>t. empty

I'm an undergrad in philosophy. I feel the same way. Considering switching majors for my masters. Maybe psychology of religious studies. After I get out of grad school, I will become a self-help guru. I will be a sage and medicine man who heals with words. And no one will be able to challenge me because of the papers on my wall.

It's not all roses in STEM, either. Lots of competition for few research jobs.

t. STEM PhD with a shit job

>STEM

Wouldn't you know it, another STEMfag who thinks he has the job market cornered before he even graduates. One of my friends is in a grad biochem program and told me how one of the other students recently committed suicide out of stress and financial pressure. It's fucking rough out there.

Graduated biochem last year. Only took me till last week to get a job. I put a single cv up online and forgot about it, they got in contact with me. I'm now the highest paid of all my mates. I'm the only STEM grad.

I'm always happy to come to lit and learn how miserable everything is... no jobs for humanities majors, impossible to get a job as a humanities professor, no one will ever get published and even if you do you'll be broke, STEM is a meme and if you don't spend every waking hour doing it you won't get a job anyway... Fuck you all. What the fuck am I supposed to do other than read the Greeks and jerk off?

Take it from a PhD STEMfag, stem is dead. Not as dead as Veeky Forums, career wise, but it's not what people think.

Being a code monkey or business douche is where it's at.

Get a lit degree and teach highschool. Pay will be shit, kids will be shit, but if you only care about literature and masturbation it won't be so bad.

>In undergrad for English. I never want to leave this ivory tower.
lol

iirc the median age on Veeky Forums is like 23, so most people here have an internship and some retail work on their resume

>Get a lit degree and teach highschool. Pay will be shit, kids will be shit,
it actually doesn't pay too badly for what you end up doing, plus good insurance if you've got a good enough union. very few kids are shit in my experience, most just sleep through class. if you can swing a gig at a private school without shooting yourself all the better

Heads up, graduate English studies share very little with undergraduate education. Also, if you want to see Bosch paintings, go to the Prado and then the Escorial to see where they were originally displayed.

If you like lit crit you might like grad school, but undergraduate curriculum is usually New Criticism and very different from what you do in an MA or PhD in English.

What do I do if I'll graduate with a degree in Comp Sci and Film Studies but really just want to go to grad school and study lit crit for a long and get a phd and everything. Like if I wait to long, I'm worried that my Comp Sci degree will sort of look a little dated on my resume and then I'll end up jobless because I'm not getting a job with the humanities phd.

What're you going to do about the required letters of recommendations and personal letter of your goals, why you need the degree, etc?

For grad school? That would be easy to get because I know my professors fairly closely.

i wish somebody had told me this. when i got to grad school i kind of looked around and came to the realization that none of those people actually enjoyed reading.

Is grad school English all criticism then? As in,
>A deconstructionist reading of...
>An eco-feminist interpretation of...
>[Text] viewed through a Marxist-psychoanalytical lens...
and no actual close reading?

>the prose

fucking lel