What the fuck

Guys. What the fuck is wrong with my family? They're so afraid of spices. I came over for dinner and tried to help cook. They were making chicken and rice, fuck yeah right? No, barely any pepper, a tiny pinch of salt in the entire pot, nothing else.

Why do people like bland things? It's like they're all children.

>bland food is for children

What's wrong sweetie, need to coat everything in msg and ranch? You might be upset to be told that requiring food to be smeared in flavourings is in fact what children, not adults demand.

Happens to me too. Just tell them straight to the face the food is shit and bland and show them Gordon Ramsey video.

>being upset that people like to taste things

Typical trash that thinks olive garden is high class dining.

I have but they insist I'm wrong, "grandmas cooking" can't be beat.

It's just white culture, stop being disrespectful to your own family.

>2017
>not being disrespectful to all white people

Germans have some really great food so that's no excuse.

This. My family can’t cook to save their fucking life. The only way they get better is to tell them it’s shit and for you to cook something for them and show them how it’s done. Fuck grandma’s recipe.

truth bomb dropped

>tfw my mom drowns everything in spices

Feels good most of the time but sometimes she goes overboard with it.

It's not really white culture but white US culture. Go to any European country and see how proper "white people" food should taste like.

OP bring your own flavor?
Chicken n dumplins is pretty bland, as are some chicken soups, and it can be a good thing, kind of homey. But, for the most part, blandness can be to remedied with your own condiments:
sriracha
harissa
hot pepper vinegar
hot sauce
Mrs. Dash "table blend"
italian seasoning "grinder"
Greek seasoning
Tony Cachere's cajun seasoning
piccalilli relish, Howards hot pepper relish
curry mayo, homemade remoulade, dill caper aioli
A1, Heinz 57, pickapeppa, lizano
honey mustard, buffalo sauce, ranch

sprinkle food with "salad" toppings from the bag like:
dried onions, dried poblanos, roasted nuts, seasoned nuts, olives

You're totally right, and I've tried this. They are adamantly against any spice, literally anything more than salt and they think it's too spicy. There is no hot sauce in their kitchen, and when I asked for cayenne, they looked at me like i was insane. Tbh I don't think there is any helping these people and it makes me stupid mad.

I think it's the recipe book culture in my opinion. People read how much of what spice to use and add it thoughtlessly without ever experimenting with what the spice tastes like and tastes good with in what amounts.

I'm a bit salt insensitive, years of cooking my own food led to me *BIG* pinches of salt. Well I had to start carrying around my own box of Fleur de sel. It's great, I just bring out a big pinch and place it on my food whenever I need some, it's also fancy enough to offer to other people. So in OP's case, I'd simply say "Hey Thanks for the meal, but have you tried some fancy French finishing salt?" and wala I get to season my food without too much effort or embarrassment.

Oh my god, instead of "spices" I've read that as "sp*cs" and now I can't stop laughing. I'm awful!

Grandma didn't have the internet so don't shit on her too badly

>censoring "spics"
Come on now

Right, but I absolutely hate how people praise "grandmas cooking" when it's absolutely trash. I'm dreading Thanksgiving. I would cook it myself but I have work

Sorry sweetie, it's 2017, US white culture now represents all white cultures.

People got better shit to do than to worry about your childish crap

Bring your own condiments over. There's no reason for you to get mad. If they invite you over for things you bleh didn't enjoy, you take it as you want and just deal with it. Why not try bringing over one dish that makes you happy?

Call ahead of time "Mom whatcha making?" You: "oh, hunt's canned over boiled noodles spaghetti? I'll bring over some garlic rolls and antipasti from Luigi's. I've got a craving."
That's one method. Supplement and contribute a bit.
Another method is to takeover by not even asking. "Mom, you and Dad want to get together Friday night? Where do you want to eat? Oh, not going out, why don't I bring takeout or my homemade casserole/crock pot" and then you get what you want. It might just be takeout smoked BBQ pork, and your own rolls and sides.

Keep your own hot sauce, steak sauce, and seasoning salt there.

>Right, but I absolutely hate how people praise "grandmas cooking" when it's absolutely trash. I'm dreading Thanksgiving. I would cook it myself but I have work

Both of my grandmas were excellent palates. They both only bothered with excellent restaurants when dining out, and excellent recipes and home cooking both. Stay at home mothers with good bread winning husbands. Different childhood backgrounds, but both classy. They incorporated german, swedish, english, southern, and old colonial favorites as a matter of historical and cultural foodie interest, as well.

Family misses them and ridiculous spreads. Even if working you can bring something you enjoy that you can assemble without much kitchen time at your location. Make some bar cookies to supplement dessert or freeze a good pie that thaws well, like a pecan cheesecake. Roll up a good gorgonzola cheese log, park it in saran wrap in a cooler, plate with your crackers or crudite. Marinate some mushrooms, olives, or onions for the relish tray. Season some nuts. Microwave some cheese dip. There is plenty you can bring that excites you that doesn't piss off grandma by demanding her oven.

>baby is a picky eater

Shut up and eat it faggot.

>US
>white culture

Pick one.

56%

>childish reply

So, you think herbs and spices are bad, huh? What kind of special tard do you have to be to think seasonings are bad in any way? People fought wars over rights to the spice trade routes across Asia to Europe. Your ancestors must have been complete peasants who couldn't afford to season their turnips, since they passed down such poor taste genes.

I live with my uncle and my grandmother, who don't like
>"spicy" food
>greens (aside from iceberg lettuce)
>"weird" vegetables (e.g. parsnips or leeks)
>self-professedly, anything "green", even fucking parsley
>seafood aside from fried cod
>beans
>coffee other than Keurig or coffee from fast food places
>purple potatoes (they were horrified by these and refuse to try it)
>meat that isn't cooked to Hell

But then they'll eat some truly nauseating shit like cream corn with cut up pieces of hard boiled egg in it (and microwave it for the next day). The few times I've cooked meat for them, they've raved about how "moist and tender" it is, but never try to do anything but cook the life out of meat themselves.

I avoid their food like the plague, but they get all uppity if I cook my own food, and tell me how "weird" my food is. They were completely horrified when I ate Chinese food or pizza for breakfast.

>Frosting the cupcakes while they're still hot

Baby boomers, user. They grew up with bland, shitty food, and expect all food to be like that.

I think it's fine to tweak your recipes to your liking, but if you're getting free food, don't be a little bitch and just eat it or don't.

Not just still hot, still in the fucking muffin tin. Whoever did that either did it intentionally or is a legitimate retard.

growing up as a white man with a black grandmother i have had a decent palate all my life, my mother hate any green that is darker then romaine and hates most spicy foods. she also can't cook a steak worth shit, it must be "Burnt to a fucking crisp" well done.

recently i have been getting her to go to a Amazing local restaurant which is run by a Lebanese guy and is the top rated place to eat in our city. she loves it, he make a deep fried cauliflower which is drizzled with a sumac vinaigrette and comes with fresh humas and 3 different salads, she eats it all, it has suprised me how much she like this kind of food, she had a domestic western Canadian palate.

i have been forunate that my dad has exposed me to different foods, I haven't found any countries food i really hate (Besides Urban city food, fast food and bland shit).

>go to UK
>eat bland bitter foods all day
>the only tasty thing is fried fast food garbage fish and chips
>pixie bread

>white man
>black grandmother