I need to make a pumpkin pie for my family this Thanksgiving...

I need to make a pumpkin pie for my family this Thanksgiving. It needs to be the platonic ideal of a pumpkin pie: no special gingersnap crust, no unexpected ingredients, just a bog-standard pumpkin pie. What's your favorite recipe?

Don't hate me for this but the one Babish(cooking with babish) one is the best I ever tasted.

Pillsbury dough
Canned pumpkin pie filling
EZ

Pumpkin pies are super simple:

Make a basic pate sablee

roast sugar pumpkins and run through a chinois

Make a simple custard and fold in pumpkin

salt and spices to taste

bake

this.

there is even "easy" canned pie filling that comes with the spices and sugar already mixed in. though I prefer to get the plain canned pumpkin and add my own sugar and spices. recipe calls for a cup of sugar, but I find that 2/3 cup is sufficient and saves some calories

Chef made pumpkin pie and I'll be damned if it tastes any different from the recipe on the back of canned pumpkin...

All the pro chefs I know used canned pumpkin. Some things just aren't worth the extra effort.

Yeah, I'm probably going to use the one on the back of the Libby's can. King Arthur Flour also has a simple one.

>It needs to be the platonic ideal of a pumpkin pie: no special gingersnap crust, no unexpected ingredients, just a bog-standard pumpkin pie.

EZ.

The key is the crust. Nothing wrong with lard or Crisco. Keep that shit chilled also.

There's nothing wrong with lard, so why would you mention crisco?

Because there is also nothing wrong with it?
Lard can be hard to find in some parts of the US?

considering how many lardasses there are all around america i find this hard to believe

This. Evaporated cow milk. Just like mom used

Brotip: Lard is not the only thing that makes you fat.

Anywhere there are Mexican, there's lard...

Lard isn't even good at making you fat, user.

The problem with using regular pumpkins is that they can vary so much they can turn out good or bad at the whim of the sugar pumpkin

So usually you go with a squash of some sort instead or some combination but butternut squash is close but not quite the same and other types are close but not the same

Whereas the cans use a consistent blend of a specially bred squash that consistently performs well

Thanks

Buy one from Walmart, take it out of the package and claim you made it yourself.

Add reduced dark rum to this and thank me later.

I make mine from roasting a whole pumpkin and pureeing it with some shredded carrot and ginger root. You could do it with just the pumpkin tho, I think it tastes fresher.

>'saving calories' in fucking pie

die